- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Load Disturbance Compensation for Stand-alone Inverters Using an Inductor Current Observer
- Choe, Jung-Muk (Future Energy Electronics Center, Virginia Tech) ;
- Moon, Seungryul (Future Energy Electronics Center, Virginia Tech) ;
- Byen, Byeng-Joo (Department of Electrical Engineering, Konkuk University) ;
- Lai, Jih-Sheng (Future Energy Electronics Center, Virginia Tech) ;
- Lim, Young-Bae (Korea Electrical Safety Corporation) ;
- Choe, Gyu-Ha (Department of Electrical Engineering, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2016.04.29
- Accepted : 2016.12.16
- Published : 2017.03.20
A control scheme for stand-alone inverters that utilizes an inductor current observer (ICO) is proposed. The proposed method measures disturbance load currents using a current sensor and it estimates the inductor current using the ICO. The filter parameter mismatch effect is analyzed to confirm the ICO's controllability. The ICO and controllers are designed in a continuous-time domain and transferred to a discrete-time domain with a digital delay. Experimental results demonstrate the effectiveness of the ICO using a 5-kVA single-phase stand-alone inverter prototype. The experimental results demonstrate that the observed current matches the actual current and that the proposed method can archive a less than 2.4% total harmonic distortion (THD) sinusoidal output waveform under nonlinear load conditions.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning(KETEP)
- S. Buso, S. Fasolo, and P. Mattavelli, "Uninterruptible power supply multiloop control employing digital predictive voltage and current regulators," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 37, No. 6, pp. 1846-1854, Nov./Dec. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.968200
- P. Mattavelli, F. Polo, F. D. Lago, and S. Saggini, "Analysis of control-delay reduction for the improvement of UPS voltage-loop bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 8, pp. 2903-2911, Aug. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.918607
- N. D. T. Yokoyama, and T. Ishioka, "Verification of an autonomous decentralized UPS system with fast transient response using a FPGA-based hardware controller," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 507-515, May 2009.
- S. Karve, "Three of a kind [UPS topologies, IEC standard]," IEE Review, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 27-31, Mar. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1049/ir:20000204
- J. M. Choe, B. J. Byen, S. Moon, and J. S. Lai, "A capacitor current control for stand-alone inverters using an inductor current observer," in 9th International Conference on Power Electronics and ECCE Asia (ICPE-ECCE Asia), pp. 1143-1148, Jun. 2015.
- N. M. Abdel-Rahim and J. E. Quaicoe, "Analysis and design of a multiple feedback loop control strategy for single-phase voltage-source UPS inverters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 532-541, Jul. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.506118
- M. J. Ryan, W. E. Brumsickle, and R. D. Lorenz, "Control topology options for single-phase UPS inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 493-501, Mar./Apr. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.568015
- J. Rodriguez, J. Pontt, C. A. Silva, P. Correa, P. Lezana, P. Cortes, and U. Ammann, "Predictive current control of a voltage source inverter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 1, pp. 495-503, Feb. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.888802
- J. S. Cho, S. Y. Lee, H. S. Mok, and G. H. Choe, "Analysis and design of modified deadbeat controller for 3-phase uninterruptible power supply," in Proceedings of the IEEE 1999 International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems (PEDS), Vol. 2, pp. 1003-1009, Jul. 1999.
- P. Mattavelli, "An improved deadbeat control for UPS using disturbance observers," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 52, No. 1, pp. 206-212, Feb. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2004.837912
- S. Buso, S. Fasolo, L. Malesani, and P. Mattavelli, "A dead-beat adaptive hysteresis current control," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 1174-1180, Jul./Aug. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.855976
- G. Escobar, A. A. Valdez, J. Leyva-Ramos, and P. Mattavelli, "Repetitive-based controller for a UPS inverter to compensate unbalance and harmonic distortion," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 1, pp. 504-510, Feb. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.888803
- P. C. Loh, M. J. Newman, D. N. Zmood, and D. G. Holmes, "A comparative analysis of multiloop voltage regulation strategies for single and three-phase UPS systems," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 1176-1185, Sep. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2003.816199
- P. C. Loh and D. G. Holmes, "Analysis of multiloop control strategies for LC/CL/LCL-filtered voltage-source and current-source inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 41, No. 2, pp. 644-654, Mar./Apr. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2005.844860
- M. Monfared, S. Golestan, and J. M. Guerrero, "Analysis, design, and experimental verification of a synchronous reference frame voltage control for single-phase inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 1, pp. 258-269, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2238878
- J. He and Y. W. Li, "Generalized closed-loop control schemes with embedded virtual impedances for voltage source converters with LC or LCL filters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 1850-1861, Apr. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2168427
- Y. A. R. I. Mohamed, "Mitigation of dynamic, unbalanced, and harmonic voltage disturbances using grid-connected inverters with LCL filter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 9, pp. 3914-3924, Sep. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2098372
- Q. Lei, F. Z. Peng, and S. Yang, "Multiloop control method for high-performance microgrid inverter through load voltage and current decoupling with only output voltage feedback," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 953-960, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2096992
- D. Dong, T. Thacker, R. Burgos, F. Wang, and D. Boroyevich, "On zero steady-state error voltage control of single-phase PWM inverters with different load types," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 11, pp. 3285-3297, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2157361
- G. Escobar, P. Mattavelli, A. M. Stankovic, A. A. Valdez, and J. Leyva-Ramos, "An adaptive control for UPS to compensate unbalance and harmonic distortion using a combined capacitor/load current sensing," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 2, pp. 839-847, Apr. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.891998
- M. J. Ryan and R. D. Lorenz, "A high performance sine wave inverter controller with capacitor current feedback and "back-EMF" decoupling," in 26th Annual IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC), Vol. 1, pp. 507-513, Jun. 1995.
- D. G. Luenberger, "An introduction to observers," IEEE Trans. Autom. Control, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 596-602, Dec. 1971. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.1971.1099826
- H. D. Venable, "The k-factor: a new mathematical tool for stability analysis and synthesis," in POWERCON, pp. 1-12, 1983.
- J. S. Lai, "ECE6204 lecture note," ed, pp. 11.23 - 11.26, 2015.