- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Dual EKF-Based State and Parameter Estimator for a LiFePO4 Battery Cell
- Pavkovic, Danijel (Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture, University of Zagreb) ;
- Krznar, Matija (Peti Brod Ltd.) ;
- Komljenovic, Ante (Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture, University of Zagreb) ;
- Hrgetic, Mario (Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture, University of Zagreb) ;
- Zorc, Davor (Faculty of Mechanical Engineering and Naval Architecture, University of Zagreb)
- Received : 2016.10.01
- Accepted : 2017.01.03
- Published : 2017.03.20
This work presents the design of a dual extended Kalman filter (EKF) as a state/parameter estimator suitable for adaptive state-of-charge (SoC) estimation of an automotive lithium-iron-phosphate (
Grant : Optimization of renewable electricity generation systems connected in a microgrid
Supported by : Croatian Science Foundation (HRZZ)
- A. Y. Saber and G. K. Venayagamoorthy, "Plug-in vehicles and renewable energy sources for cost and emission reductions," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 4, pp. 1229-1238, Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2047828
J. Hansen, M. Sato, P. Kharecha, D. Beerling, R. Berner, V. Masson-Delmotte, M. Pagani, M. Raymo, D. L. Royer, and J. Zachos, "Target atmospheric
$CO_2$: Where should humanity aim?," The Open Atmospheric Science Journal, Vol. 2, pp. 217-231, Nov. 2008. https://doi.org/10.2174/1874282300802010217
- A. Poullikkas, "Sustainable options for electric vehicle technologies," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 41, pp. 1277-1287, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2014.09.016
- International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA): "Road Transport: The Cost of Renewable Solutions," IRENA's Costing Study (http://www.irena.org/publications), 2013.
- H. Rahimi-Eichi, U. Ojha, F. Baronti, and M.-Y. Chow: "Battery management system - An overview of its application in the smart grid and electric vehicles," IEEE Ind. Electron. Mag., Vol. 7, No 2, pp. 5-16, Jun. 2013.
- J. Cao and A. Emadi: "Batteries need electronics - Battery management systems vary according to chemistry and applications," IEEE Ind. Electron. Mag., Vol. 5, No 1, pp. 27-35, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIE.2011.940251
- K. W. E. Cheng, B. P. Divakar, H. Wu, K. Dong, and H. F. Ho, "Battery-management system (BMS) and SoC development for electric vehicles," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 76-88, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2010.2089647
- M. Einhorn, W. Roessler, and J. Fleig, "Improved performance of serially connected Li-Ion batteries with active cell balancing in electric vehicles," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 60, No. 6, pp. 2448-2457, Jul. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2011.2153886
- L. Y. Wang, M. P. Polis, G. G. Yin, W. Chen, Y. Fu, and C. C. Mi, "Battery cell identification and SoC estimation using string terminal voltage measurements," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 61, No. 7, pp. 2925-2935, Sep. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2012.2203160
- M. Ceraolo, "New dynamical models of lead-acid batteries," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 1184-1190, Nov. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.898088
- N. A. Windarko and J. Choi, "SoC estimation based on OCV for NiMH batteries using and improved takacs model," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 181-186, Mar. 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.2.181
- D.-H. Shin, J.-B. Jeong, T.-H. kim, and H.-J. Kim, "Modeling of lithium battery cells for plug-in hybrid vehicles," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 429-436, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.3.429
- K. Uddin, A. Picarelli, C. Lynes, N. Taylor, and J. Marco, "An acausal Li-Ion battery pack model for automotive applications," Energies, Vol. 7, pp. 5675-5700, Sep. 2014. https://doi.org/10.3390/en7095675
- J. Remmlinger, M. Buchholz, M. Meiler, P. Bernreuter, and K. Dietmayer, "State-of-health monitoring of lithium-ion batteries in electric vehicles by on-board internal resistance estimation," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 196, No. 12, pp. 5357-5363, Jun. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2010.08.035
- M. Mastali, J. Vasquez-Arenas, R. Fraser, M. Fowler, S. Afshar, and M. Stevens, "Battery state of charge estimation using Kalman filtering," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 239, pp. 294-307, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2013.03.131
- D. Andre, M. Meiler, K. Steiner, C. Wimmer, T. Soczka-Guth, and D. U. Sauer, "Characterization of high-power lithium-ion batteries by electrochemical impedance spectroscopy. II. Modelling," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 196, No. 12, pp. 5349-5356, Jun. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2010.07.071
- J.-H. Lee and W. Choi, "Novel state-of-charge estimation method for lithium polymer batteries using electrochemical impedance spectroscopy," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 237-243, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.2.237
- J. Xu, C. C. Mi, B. Cao, and J. Cao, "A new method to estimate the state of charge of lithium-ion batteries based on the battery impedance model," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 233, pp. 277-284, Jul. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2013.01.094
J. Li, J. K. Barillas, C. Guenther, and M. A. Danzer, "A comparative study of state of charge estimation algorithms for
$LiFePO_4$batteries used in electric vehicles," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 230, pp. 244-250, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2012.12.057
- Z. Zou, J. Hu, C. Mi, B. Cao, and Z. Chen, "Evaluation of model based state of charge estimation methods for lithium-ion batteries," Energies, Vol. 7, pp. 5065-5082, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.3390/en7085065
- W.-Y. Chang, "The state of charge estimating methods for battery: A review," ISRN Applied Mathematics, Vol. 2013, Article ID 956792, 7 pages, 2013.
- S. Dey, S. Mohon, P. Pisu, B. Ayalew, and S. Onori, "Online state and parameter estimation of battery-double layer capacitor hybrid energy storage system," in Proceedings of IEEE 54th Annual Conference on Decision and Control (CDC 2015), pp. 676-681, 2015.
- G. L. Plett, "Extended Kalman filtering for battery management systems of LiPB-based HEV battery packs - Part 3, state and parameter estimation," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 134, No. 2, pp. 277-262, Aug. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2004.02.033
- J. Kim and B. H. Cho, "State-of-charge estimation and state-of-health prediction of a Li-ion degraded battery based on an EKF combined with a per-unit system," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 60, No. 9, pp. 4249-4260, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2011.2168987
- M. Charkhgard and M. Farrokhi, "State of charge estimation for lithium-ion batteries using neural networks and EKF," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 12, pp. 4178-4187, Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2043035
- J. Zhang and C. Xia, "State-of-charge estimation of valve regulated lead acid battery based on multi-state Unscented Kalman Filter," Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 33, pp. 472-476, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2010.10.010
- B.-H. Seo, T. H. Nguyen, D.-C. Lee, K.-B. Lee, and J.-M. Kim, "Condition monitoring of lithium polymer batteries based on sigma-point Kalman filter," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 778-786, Sep. 2012. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2012.12.5.778
- W. He, N. Willard, C. Chen, and M. Pecht, "State of charge estimation for electric vehicle batteries using unscented Kalman filtering," Microelectronics Reliability, Vol. 53, pp. 840-847, Jun. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microrel.2012.11.010
- B. Xia, H. Wang, Y. Tian, M. Wang, W. Sun, and Z. Hu, "State of charge estimation of lithium-ion batteries using an adaptive cubature Kalman filter," Energies, Vol. 8, pp. 5919-5936, Jun. 2015.
- L. Pei, C. Zhu, T. Wang, R. Lu, and C. C. Chan, "Online peak power prediction based on a parameter and state estimator for lithium-ion batteries in electric vehicles," Energy, Vol. 66, pp. 766-778, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2014.02.009
- J. Kim, S. Lee, and B. H. Cho, "Complementary cooperation algorithm based on DEKF combined with pattern recognition for SoC/Capacity estimation and SoH prediction," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 436-451, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2158554
- J. Wang, B. Cao, Q. Chen, and F. Wang, "Combined state of charge estimator for electric vehicle battery pack," Control Engineering Practice, Vol. 15, No. 12, pp. 1569-1576, Dec. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conengprac.2007.03.004
- M. Shahriari and M. Farrokhi, "Online state-of-health estimation of VRLA batteries using state-of-charge," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 1, pp. 191-202, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2186771
- N. Omar, M. A. Monem, Y. Firouz, J. Salminen, J. Smekens, O. Hegazy, H. Gaulous, G. Mulder, P. Van den Bossche, T. Coosemans, and J. Van Mierlo, "Lithium iron phosphate based battery - Assessment of aging parameters and development of life cycle model," Applied Energy, Vol. 113, pp. 1575-1585, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.09.003
GWL/Power Group, "SE100AHA cell specification," (http,//www.ev-power.eu/CALB-40Ah-400Ah/SE100AHALithium-Cell-
M. A. Roscher and D. U. Sauer, "Dynamic electric behavior and open-circuit-voltage modeling of
$LiFePO_4$-based lithium-ion secondary batteries," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 196, No. 1, pp. 331-336, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2010.06.098
- M. Chen and G.-A. Rincon-Mora, "Accurate electrical battery model capable of predicting runtime and I-V performance," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 504-511, Jun. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2006.874229
- D. Pavkovic, M. Hrgetic, A. Komljenovic, A. Lisac, and J. Deur, "Battery/ultracapacitor test setup control system design and verification," in Proc. of IEEE EUROCON 2013, pp. 1050-1057, 2013.
- D. Pavkovic, A. Komljenovic, and M. Hrgetic, "Control-oriented modeling and experimental identification of a VRLA battery," in Proc. of 17th International Conference on Electrical Drives and Power Electronics (EDPE 2013), pp. 2-9, 2013.
D. Pavkovic, A. Komljenovic, M. Hrgetic, and M. Krznar, "Experimental characterization and development of a SoC/SoH estimator for a
$LiFePO_4$battery cell," in Proc. of IEEE EUROCON 2015, pp. 397-402, 2015.
- US Environmental Protection Agency, "Dynamometer drive schedules" (http,//www.epa.gov/nvfel/testing/dynamometer.htm), Jul. 2014.
- D. Pavkovic, M. Lobrovic, M. Hrgetic, and A. Komljenovic, "A design of DC bus control system for EVs based on battery/ultracapacitor hybrid energy storage," in Proc. of 2014 IEEE International Electrical Vehicle Conference (IEVC 2014), 2014.
- L. Ljung, System Identification - Theory for the User, Prentice-Hall Inc., 1987, Chap. 14.
- C. Anatolae, J. Marco, and F. Assadian, "A novel method for the parameterization of a Li-Ion cell model for EV/HEV control applications," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 61, No. 9, pp. 3881-3892, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2012.2212474
- J. Sun, G. Wei, L. Pei, R. Lu, K. Song, C. Wu, and C. Zhu, "Online internal temperature estimation for lithium-ion batteries based on Kalman filter," Energies, Vol. 8, pp. 4400-4415, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.3390/en8054400
- S. B. Peterson, J. Apt, and j. F. Whitacre, "Lithium-ion battery cell degradation resulting from realistic vehicle and vehicle-to-grid utilization," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 195, pp. 2385-2392, Apr. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2009.10.010
- M. Ecker, J. B. Gerschler, J. Vogel, S. Kabitz, F. Hust, P. Dechent, and D. U. Sauer, "Development of a lifetime prediction model for lithium-ion batteries based on extended accelerated aging test data," Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 215, pp. 248-257, Oct. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2012.05.012
- M. S. Grewal and A. P. Andrews, Kalman Filtering - Theory and Practice," John Wiley and Sons Ltd., 2001, Chap. 5.
- An Adaptive Square Root Unscented Kalman Filter Approach for State of Charge Estimation of Lithium-Ion Batteries vol.10, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/en10091345
- An Online State of Charge Estimation Algorithm for Lithium-Ion Batteries Using an Improved Adaptive Cubature Kalman Filter vol.11, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/en11010059
- Damping Optimum-Based Design of Control Strategy Suitable for Battery/Ultracapacitor Electric Vehicles vol.11, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/en11102854