- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Switching Functions Model of a Three-phase Voltage Source Converter (VSC)
- Fazeli, Seyed Mahdi (UM Power Energy Dedicated Advanced Centre (UMPEDAC), University of Malaya) ;
- Ping, Hew Wooi (UM Power Energy Dedicated Advanced Centre (UMPEDAC), University of Malaya) ;
- Abd Rahim, Nasrudin Bin (UM Power Energy Dedicated Advanced Centre (UMPEDAC), University of Malaya) ;
- Ooi, Boon Teck (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, McGill University)
- Received : 2016.06.07
- Accepted : 2017.01.17
- Published : 2017.03.20
The equivalent circuit of a three-leg, four-wire voltage source converter (VSC) is derived using switching functions. Simulations and experiments are conducted (i) to investigate the effects of the zero sequence on VSCs when a three-phase imbalance exists and (ii) to use the consistency of simulations and laboratory experiments to validate the equivalent circuit. The impact of a three-phase imbalance on the VSC has yet to be fully investigated because of the lack of an equivalent circuit to show rigorously how the zero sequence currents flow through the VSC.
- R. Marquardt, "Stromrichters chaltungen mitverteilten energiespeichern," German Patent DE 10 103 031, Jan. 24, 2001.
- T. Westerweller, K. Friedrich, U. Armonies, A. Orini, D. Parquet, and S. When, "Trans bay cable - World's first HVDC system using multilevel voltage-sourced converter," in Proc. CIGRE Conf. Power Syst., B4_101_2010, pp. 1-6, 2010.
- A. Antonopoulos, L. Angquist, and H. P. Nee, "On dynamics and voltage control of the modular multilevel converter," in Proc. Eur. Conf. Power Electron. Appl., Barcelona, pp. 1-10, 2009.
- K. Ilves, A. Antonopoulos, S. Norrga, and H. P. Nee, "Steady-state analysis of interaction between harmonic components of arm and line quantities of modular multilevel converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 57-68, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2159809
- L. Salazar and G. Joos, "PSPICE simulation of three-phase inverters by means of switching functions," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 35-42, Jan. 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.285491
- B. K. Lee and M. Ehsani, "A simplified functional model for 3-phase voltage source inverter using switching function concept," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 309-321, Apr. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.915410
- L. Tang and B. T. Ooi, "Managing zero sequence in voltage source converter," in Proc. IEEE Industry Application Conf., pp.795-802, 2002.
- L. Tang and B. T. Ooi, "Impact of zero sequence component on voltage-source converters," in Proc. IEEE Power Conversion Conf., pp.184-189, 2002.
- Q. T. An, L. I. Sun, K. Zhao, and L. L. Sun, "Switching function model-based fast-diagnostic method of open-switch faults in inverters without sensors," IEEE Trans. Power Electron, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 119-126, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2052472
- M. G. H. Aghdam and G. B. Gharehpetian, "Modeling of switching and conduction losses in three-phase SPWM VSC using switching function concept," in Proc. IEEE Power Tech Conf., pp.1-6, 2005.
- H. L. Huy, G. Sybille, R. Gagnon, and V. D. Do, "Real-time simulation of pwm power converters in a doubly-fed induction generator using switching-function-based models," in Proc. IEEE Industrial Electronics (IECON), pp. 1878-1883, 2006.
- S. K. Wak, H. A. Toliyat, "Remedial switching function approach to improve reliability for ac-ac converters," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 541-543, Jun. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2006.888027
- C. Marouchos, "Active line shaping of a single phase rectifier using the switching function technique," in Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference (13th EPE-PEMC), pp. 1967-1974, 2008.
- A. Ghosh and G. Ledwich, "Load compensating DSTATCOM in weak AC systems," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp.1302-1309, Oct. 2003.
- K. R. Uyyuru, M. K. Mishra, and A. Ghosh, "An optimization-based algorithm for shunt active filter under distorted supply voltages," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 1223-1232, May 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2011908
- M. K. Mishra, A. Ghosh, and A. Joshi, "A new STATCOM topology to compensate loads containing AC and DC components," in Proc. IEEE Power Engineering Society Winter Meeting, pp. 2636-2641, 2000.
- C. A. Quinn, N. Mohan, and H. Mehta, "A four-wire, current-controlled converter provides harmonic neutralization in three-phase, four-wire system," in Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC 93), pp. 841-846, 1999.
- S. R. Naidu and D. A. Fernandes, "Generation of unbalanced 3-Phase voltages for dynamic voltage restoration using the 4-Leg voltage source converter," IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Vol. 3, No. 5, pp. 437-447, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2008.0411
- G. K. Kasal and B. Singh, "Decoupled voltage and frequency controller for isolated asynchronous generators feeding three-phase four-wire loads," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 966-973, Apr. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2008.915783
- M. Yanyun, T. Ellinger, and J. Petzoldt, "Implementation of harmonic control for a 3-phase 4-wire inverter with harmonic-loaded neutral," in European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications (EPE), pp. 1-10, 2011.
- S. M. Fazeli, W. P. Hew, A. R. Nasrudin, and B. T. Ooi, "Individual-phase decoupled P-Q control of three-phase voltage source converter," IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, Vol. 7, No. 11, pp. 1219-1228, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2012.0417
- L. Weixing and B. T. Ooi, "Optimal acquisition and aggregation of offshore wind power by multiterminal voltage-source HVDC," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 201-206, Jan. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2002.803826
- L. Weixing and B. T. Ooi, "DC overvoltage control during loss of converter in multiterminal voltage-source converter-based HVDC (M-VSC-HVDC)," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 915-920, Jul. 2003.
- T. Lianxiang and B. T. Ooi, "Locating and isolating DC faults in multi-terminal DC systems," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 1877-1884, Jul. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2007.899276
- T. Lianxiang and B. T. Ooi, "Elimination of harmonic transfer through converters in VSC-based multiterminal DC systems by AC/DC decoupling," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 402-409, Jan. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2007.905556
- B. Mwinyiwiwa, Z. Wolanski, and B. T. Ooi, "High power switch mode linear amplifiers for flexible AC transmission system," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 1993-1998, Oct. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.544286
- C. L. Fortescue, "Method of Symmetrical Co-Ordinates Applied to the Solution of Polyphase Networks," IEEE Trans. American Institute of Electrical Engineers, Vol. 37, No. 2, pp. 1027-1140, Jul. 1918.
- R. H. Park, "Two reaction theory of synchronous Machines II," IEEE Trans. American Institute of Electrical Engineers, Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 352-354, Jun. 1933. https://doi.org/10.1109/T-AIEE.1933.5056309