- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
BPF-based Grid Voltage Feedforward Control of Grid-connected Converters for Improving Robust Stability
- Yang, Shude (School of Automation and Information Engineering, Xi'an University of Technology) ;
- Tong, Xiangqian (School of Automation and Information Engineering, Xi'an University of Technology) ;
- Yin, Jun (School of Automation and Information Engineering, Xi'an University of Technology) ;
- Wang, Haiyan (School of Automation and Information Engineering, Xi'an University of Technology) ;
- Deng, Yaping (School of Automation and Information Engineering, Xi'an University of Technology) ;
- Liu, Le (School of Automation and Information Engineering, Xi'an University of Technology)
- Received : 2016.07.31
- Accepted : 2017.01.20
- Published : 2017.03.20
Grid voltage feedforward is extensively used for controlling grid-connected converters. However, the conventional voltage feedforward control reduces the stability margins of the converter connected to a high-impedance grid. The effect mechanism of voltage feedforward on the grid-connected converter control under high-inductive conditions of the grid impedance is clearly explained in this study using the equivalent transformations of control block diagrams. Results show that the delay produced by the digital control is the root cause of this effect. An improved voltage feedforward strategy, in which a bandpass filter (BPF) is introduced into the feedforward path, is proposed to strengthen the converter's robust stability against grid impedance variations. The selection method of the BPF's bandwidth is also provided considering the tradeoff between the response speed to the grid voltage sag and the system's robust stability. The converter can work stably over a wide range of the grid impedance through the proposed approach. Simulation and experimental results fully verify the effectiveness of the BPF-based voltage feedforward strategy.
Supported by : National Nature Science Foundation of China, Key Discipline Special Foundation
- A. Alexander and M. Thathan, "Modelling and analysis of modular multilevel converter for solar photovoltaic applications to improve power quality," IET Renew. Power Gener., Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 78-88, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2013.0365
- M. Zabaleta, E. Burguete, D. Madariaga, I. Zubimendi, M. Zubiaga, and I. Larrazabal, "LCL grid filter design of a multimegawatt medium-voltage converter for offshore wind turbine using SHEPWM modulation," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 1993-2001, Mar. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2442434
- K. Yang, Y. Wang, and G. Chen, "Design and research on high-reliability HPEBB used in cascaded DSTATCOM," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 830-840, May. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.3.830
- P. Garanayak, and G. Panda, "Harmonic elimination and reactive power compensation with a novel control algorithm based active power filter," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp.1619-1627, Nov. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.6.1619
- M. Liserre, R. Teodorescu, and F. Blaabjerg, "Stability of photovoltaic and wind turbine grid-connected inverters for a large set of grid impedance values," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 263-272, Jan. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.861185
- E. M. Lightner, and S. E. Widergren, "An orderly transition to a transformed electricity systems," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid., Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 3-10, Jun. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2010.2045013
- J. Sun, "Impedance-based stability criterion for grid-connected inverters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 11, pp. 3075-3078, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2136439
- IEEE standard for interconnecting distributed resources with electric power systems, IEEE Std 1547-2003, 2003.
- Technical rule for photovoltaic power station connected to power grid, Q/GDW617-2011, 2011.
- Y. Han, P. Shen, and J. M. Guerrero, "Stationary frame current control evaluations for three-phase grid-connected inverters with PVR-based active damped LCL filters," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 297-309, Jan. 2016. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.1.297
- W. Wu, Y. He, and F. Blaabjerg, "An LLCL power filter for single-phase grid-tied inverter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 782-789, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2161337
- J. Xu, J. Yang, J. Ye, Z. Zhang, and A. Shen, "An LTCL filter for three-phase grid-connected converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 8, pp. 4322-4338, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2292000
- J. L. Agorreta, M. Borrega, J. Lopez, and L. Marroyo, "Modeling and control of N-paralleled grid-connected inverters with LCL filter coupled due to grid impedance in PV plants," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 770-785, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2095429
- J.J Sun, W. Hu, H. Zhou, Y.M. Jiang, and X.M. Zha, "A resonant characteristics analysis and suppression strategy for multiple parallel grid-connected inverters with LCL filter," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 1483-1493, Jul. 2016. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.4.1483
- M. Liserre, F. Blaabjerg, and R. Teodorescu, "Grid impedance estimation via excitation of LCL-filter resonance," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 43, No. 5, pp. 1401-1407, Sep. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2007.904439
- P. Alemi, S. Y. Jeong, and D.-C. Lee, "Active damping of LLCL filters using PR control for grid-connected three-level T-type converters," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 786-795, May. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.3.786
- X. Zhou, J. Fan, and A. Q. Huang, "High-frequency resonance mitigation for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles' integration with a wide range of grid conditions," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 11, pp. 4459-4471, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2185833
- Z. Wan, J. Xiong, J. Lei, C. Chen, and K. Zhang, "A modified capacitor current feedback active damping approach for grid connected converters with an LCL filter," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 1286-1294, Sep. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.5.1286
- D. Pan, X. Ruan, C. Bao, W. Li, and X. Wang, "Optimized controller design for LCL-type grid-connected inverter to achieve high robustness against grid-impedance variation," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 62, No. 3, pp. 1537-1547, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TED.2015.2409478
- X. Wang, F. Blaabjerg, M. Liserre, Z. Chen, J. He, and Y. Li, "An active damper for stabilizing power-electronics-based AC systems," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 7, pp. 3318-3329, Jul. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2278716
- D. Dong, B. Wen, D. Boroyevich, P. Mattavelli, and Y. Xue, "Analysis of phase-locked loop low-frequency stability in three-phase grid-connected power converters considering impedance interactions," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 1, pp. 310-321, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2334665
- B. Wen, D. Boroyevich, R. Burgos, P. Mattavelli, and Z. Shen, "Analysis of D-Q small-signal impedance of grid-tied inverters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 675-687, Jan. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2398192
- J. Zhou, D. Hui, S. Fan, Y. Zhang, and A. M. Gole, "Impact of short-circuit ratio and phase-locked-loop parameters on the small-signal behavior of a VSC-HVDC converter," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 29, No. 5, pp. 2287-2296, Oct. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2014.2330518
- L. Zhang, L. Harnefors, and H.-P. Nee, "Power-synchronization control of grid-connected voltage-source converters," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 809-820, May. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2009.2032231
- L. Zhang, L. Harnefors, and H.-P. Nee, "Interconnection of two very weak ac systems by VSC-HVDC links using power-synchronization control," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 344-355, Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2010.2047875
- S. Zhou, X. Zou, D. Zhu, Y. Kang, L. Tong, and X.Gao, "LCL type grid-connected converter no startup inrush current control method based on capacitor branch voltage feedforward," in Industrial Electronics Society, IECON 2015-41st Annual Conference of the IEEE, pp. 1471-1476, Nov. 2015.
- J. Xu, S. Xie, and T. Tang, "Evaluations of current control in weak grid case for grid-connected LCL-filtered inverter," IET Power Electron., Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 227-234, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2012.0192
- J. Xu, S. Xie, and T. Tang, "Improved control strategy with grid-voltage feedforward for LCL-filter-based inverter connected to weak grid," IET Power Electron., Vol. 7, No. 10, pp. 2660-2671, Oct. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2013.0666
- T.-F. Wu, K.-H. Sun, C.-L. Kuo, and C.-H. Chang, "Predictive current controlled 5-kW single-phase bidirectional inverter with wide inductance variation for DC-microgrid applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 12, pp. 3076-3084, Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2087773
- S. Jiang, D. Cao, Y. Li, and F.Z. Peng, "Grid-connected boost-half-bridge photovoltaic microinverter system using repetitive current control and maximum power point tracking," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 11, pp. 4711-4722, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2183389
- R. W. Erickson and D. Maksimovic, Fundamentals of Power Electronics, 2nd ed. Norwell, MA: Kluwer, 2001 : 330-410.
- G. F. Franklin, D.J. Powell and A. E. Naeini, Feedback Control of Dynamic Systems, 6th ed., Addison-Wesley Professional, Chap. 6.7.6, 2009.