- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Modeling and a Simple Multiple Model Adaptive Control of PMSM Drive System
- Kang, Taesu (Modeling & Simulation team, Defense R&D Center, Hanwha Corporation) ;
- Kim, Min-Seok (Central Research Institute, Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power Co., Ltd.) ;
- Lee, Sa Young (Department of Electrical Engineering, Myongji College) ;
- Kim, Young Chol (Department of Electronics Engineering, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2016.09.03
- Accepted : 2017.01.22
- Published : 2017.03.20
This paper deals with the input-output modeling of a vector controlled PMSM drive system and design of a simple multiple model adaptive control (MMAC) scheme with desired transient responses. We present a discrete-time modeling technique using closed-loop identification that can experimentally identify the equivalent models in the d-q coordinates. A bank of linear models for the equivalent plant of the current loop is first obtained by identifying them at several operating points of the current to account for nonlinearity. Based on these models, we suggest a simple q-axis MMAC combined with a fixed d-axis controller. After the current controller is designed, another equivalent model including the current controller in the speed control loop shall be similarly obtained, and then a fixed speed controller is synthesized. The proposed approach is demonstrated by experiments. The experimental set up consists of a surface mounted PMSM (5 KW, 220V, 8 poles) equipped with a flywheel load of 220kg and a digital controller using DSP (TMS320F28335).
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- H. H. Choi, J. W. Jung, and T. H. Kim, "Digital speed regulator system design for a permanent synchronous motor," J. Electr. Eng. Tech., Vol. 7, No. 6, pp. 911-917, Jun. 2012. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2012.7.6.911
- X. Li and S. Li, "Speed control of a PMSM servo system using model reference adaptive control and extended state observer," Jourla of Power Electronics, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp.549-563, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.3.549
- H. H. Choi, N. T. Vu, and J. W. Jung, "Digital Implementation of an Adaptive Speed Regulator for a PMSM," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No.1, pp.911-917, Jan. 2012.
- D. Lainiotis, "Patitioning: A unifying framework for adaptive systems, II: Control," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 64, No. 8, pp. 1182-1198, Aug. 1976. https://doi.org/10.1109/PROC.1976.10289
- K. S. Narendra and J. Balakrishnan, "Adaptive control using multiple models," IEEE Trans. Autom. Contr., Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 171-187, Feb. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/9.554398
- M. Athans, Y. Baram, D. Castanon, K. P. Dunn, C. S. Green, W. H. Lee, N. R. Sandell Jr., and A. S. Willsky, "Investigation of the multiple model adaptive control (MMAC) method for flight control systems," NASA Contractor Report 3089, May 1979.
- B. Chaudhuri, R. Majumder, and B. C. Pal, "Application of multiple-model adaptive control strategy for robust damping of interarea oscillations in power systems," IEEE Trans. Contr. Syst. Tech., Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 727-736, Feb. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCST.2004.833409
- I. D. Landau and A. Karimi, "An output error recursive algorithm for unbiased identification in closed loop," Automatica, Vol. 33, No. 8, pp. 933-938, May 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-1098(96)00223-3
- I. D. Landau and Z. Gianluca, "Digital Control System," Springer, 2006.
- Y. C. Kim, L. H. Keel, and S. P. Bhattachayya, "Transient response control via characteristic ratio assignment," IEEE Trans. Autom. Contr., Vol. 48, No. 12, pp. 2238-2244, Dec. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2003.820153
- Y. C. Kim and Y. S. Lim, "A Parametric design method of direct digital control with transient response requirement," in Proc. of the ICCAS-SICE2009, 2009.
- Y. C. Kim, L. Jin, J. Lee, and J. Choi, "Direct digital control of single-phase ac/dc pwm converter system," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 518-527, May 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.5.518
- L. Jin, "Discrete-time characteristic ratio assignment for direct digital control design," Ph.D. dissertation, Chungbuk National Univ., Korea, 2012.
- T. Kang, M. Kim, K. Lee, S. Y. Lee, and Y. C. Kim, "Experimental modeling and direct digital control of PMSM," in Proc. of The 28th Int'l Electric Vehicle Symposium and Exhibition, 2015.