- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Reduced Order Identification and Stability Analysis of DC-DC Converters
- Ali, Husan (School of Automation, Northwestern Polytechnical University) ;
- Zheng, Xiancheng (School of Automation, Northwestern Polytechnical University) ;
- Wu, Xiaohua (School of Automation, Northwestern Polytechnical University) ;
- Zaman, Haider (School of Automation, Northwestern Polytechnical University) ;
- Khan, Shahbaz (School of Automation, Northwestern Polytechnical University)
- Received : 2016.06.06
- Accepted : 2017.01.23
- Published : 2017.03.20
This paper discusses the measurement of frequency response functions for various dc-dc converters. The frequency domain identification procedure is applied to the measured frequency responses. The identified transfer functions are primarily used in developing behavioral models for dc-dc converters. Distributed power systems are based upon such converters in cascade, parallel and several other configurations. The system level analysis of a complete system becomes complex when the identified transfer functions are of high order. Therefore, a certain technique needs to be applied for order reduction of the identified transfer functions. During the process of order reduction, it has to be ensured that the system retains the dynamics of the full order system. The technique used here is based on the Hankel singular values of a system. A systematic procedure is given to retain the maximum energy states for the reduced order model. A dynamic analysis is performed for behavioral models based on full and reduced order frequency responses. The close agreement of results validates the effectiveness of the model order reduction. Stability is the key design objective for any system designer. Therefore, the measured frequency responses at the interface of the source and load are also used to predict stability of the system.
- L. Man and C. Farcas, "Switch mode power supply used for medical applications - packaging and thermal analysis," in IEEE 16th International symposium for design and technology in electronic packaging (SIITME), pp. 275-278, 2010.
- P. D. Nonn, A. H. Seltzman, and J. K. Andrson, "Design of an 80kV, 40A resonant switch mode power supply for pulsed power applications," in IEEE International Power modulator and high voltage conference (IPMHVC), pp. 84-87, 2012.
- C. E. C Ortiz, "Circuit oriented average modeling of switching power converters," in European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, pp.1-10, 2005.
- J. Sun, "Characterization and performance comparison of ripple-based control for voltage regulator modules," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 346-353, Mar. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.869747
- L. Arnedo, R. Burgos, F. Wang, and D. Boroyevich, "Black-box terminal characterization modeling of DC-to-DC converters," in Proc. of Twenty Second Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC 07), pp. 457-463, 2007.
- D. Boroyevich, R. Burgos, L. Arnedo, and F. Wang, "Synthesis and integration of future electronic power distribution systems," in Proc. of Power Conversion Conference (PCC), pp. 1-8, 2007.
- D. Izquierdo, R. Azcona, F. J. Lopez del Cerro, C. Fernandez, and B. Delicado, "Electrical power distribution system (HV270DC), for application in more electric aircraft," in Proc. of twenty-fifth Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), pp. 1300-1305, 2010.
- A. Emadi, Y. J. Lee, and K. Rajashekara, "Power electronics and motor drives in electric, hybrid electric, and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 6, pp. 2237-2245, Jun. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.922768
- X. Zheng, H. Ali, X. Wu, O. Kuseso, S. Khan, and H. Zaman, "Frequency response measurements based reduced order identification for dc-dc converter," in Proc. of International Conference on Intelligent Systems Engineering (ICISE), pp. 78-82, 2016.
- P.G. Maranesi, V. Tavazzi, and V. Varoli, "Two-port characterization of PWM voltage regulators at low frequencies," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 35, No. 3, pp. 444-450, Aug. 1988.
- T. Suntio and I. Gadoura, "Use of unterminated two-port modeling technique in analysis of input filter interactions in telecom DPS Systems," in Proc. 24th IEEE International Telecommunications Energy Conference (INTELEC), pp. 560-565, 2002.
- T. Suntio, "Unified average and small-signal modeling of direct-on-time control," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 53, No. 1, pp. 287-295, Feb. 2006.
- Agilent Technologies, Keysight - Electronic Measurement Products, E5061B. http://www.agilent.com, 2016.
- G. C. Verghese and V. J. Thottuvelil, "Aliasing effects in PWM power converters," in 30th Annual IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC 99), Vol. 2, pp. 1043-1049, 1999.
- L. Ljung, System Identification: Theory for the User, 2nd ed., Prentice Hall, 1999.
- Ridley Engineering, Frequency Response Measurements, Design Center Library, Switching Power Magazine, http://www.ridleyengineering.com, 2016.
- Vicor, V24C5C100BL Datasheet, http://cdn.vicorpower.com/documents/datasheets/ds_24vin-micro-family.pdf, 2016.
- J. D. Owens and P. L. Chapman, "Automatic generation of accurate low-order models for magnetic devices," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 732-742, Jul. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.850912
- C. Kenney and G. Hewer, "Necessary and sufficient conditions for balancing unstable systems," IEEE Trans. Autom. Control, Vol. AC-32, No. 2, pp. 157-160, Feb. 1987.
- I. Cvetkovic, D. Boroyevich, P. Mattavelli, F. C. Lee, and D. Dong, "Unterminated small-signal behavioral model of DC-DC converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 1870-1879, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2215056
- C. M. Wildrick, F. C. Lee, B. H. Cho, and B. Choi "A method of defining the load impedance specification for a stable distributed power system," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 280-285, May 1995.
- J. Sun, "Small-signal methods for AC distributed power systems- a review," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 11, pp. 2545-2554, Nov. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2029859
- R. D. Middlebrook, "Input Filter Considerations in Design and Application of Switching Regulators," in Proc. IEEE Industrial Applications Society Annual Meeting, pp. 366-382, 1976.
- Behavioral Modeling for Parallel- and Cascade-Connected dc–dc Converters pp.1793-6454, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1142/S0218126619500580