- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Output Voltage Regulation for Harmonic Compensation under Islanded Mode of Microgrid
- Lim, Kyungbae (School of Electrical Engineering, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Choi, Jaeho (School of Electrical Engineering, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2016.10.06
- Accepted : 2017.02.05
- Published : 2017.03.20
This study examines a P+multi resonant-based voltage control for voltage harmonics compensation under the islanded mode of a microgrid. In islanded mode, the inverter is defined as a voltage source to supply the full local load demand without the connection to the grid. On the other hand, the output voltage waveform is distorted by the negative and zero sequence components and current harmonics due to the unbalanced and nonlinear loads. In this paper, the P+multi resonant controller is used to compensate for the voltage harmonics. The gain tuning method is assessed by the tendency analysis of the controller as the variation of gain. In addition, this study analyzes the slight voltage magnitude drop due to the practical form of the P+multi resonant and proposes a counter method to solve this problem by adding the PI-based voltage restoration method. The proposed P+multi resonant controller to compensate for the voltage harmonics is verified through the PSIM simulation and experimental results.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning(KETEP)
- Distributed generation at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL), http://der.lbl.gov.
- The Consortium for Electric Reliability Technology Solutions (CERTS), http://certs.lbl.gov.
- The GridWise alliance, http://www.gridwise.org/.
- Large Scale Integration of Micro-generation to Low Voltage Grids (MICROGRIDS), http://microgrids.power.ece.ntua.gr.
- Distributed Intelligence in Critical Infrastructures for Sustainable Power (CRISP), http://www.crisp.ecn.nl.
- Distributed Generation with High Penetration of Renewable Energy Sources (DISPOWER), http://www.dispower.org.
- K. Lim, J. Jang, J. Lee, J. Kim, and J. Choi, "P+ multiple resonant control for output voltage regulation of microgrid with unbalanced and nonlinear loads," in Proc. of IPEC'2014 -ECCE Asia,21G2-2, 2014.
- K. Lim, J. Jang, S. Moon, J. Kim, and J. Choi, "Output voltage regulation based on P plus resonant control in islanded mode of microgrids," in Proc. of PEMC'2014., pp. 452-457, 2014.
- J. Kwon, S. Yoon, and S. Choi, "Indirect current control for seamless transfer of three-phase utility interactive inverters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 773-781, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2161335
- S. Yoon, H. Oh, and S. Choi, "Controller design and implementation of indirect current control based utility-interactive inverter system," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 26-30, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2210247
- D. De and V. Ramanarayanan, "A proportional + multi resonant controller for three-phase four-wire high-frequency link inverter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 4. pp. 899-906, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2036012
- D. De and V. Ramanarayanan, "Decentralized parallel operation of inverters sharing unbalanced and nonlinear loads," IEEE Trans. Power Electron, Vol. 25, No. 12. pp. 3015-3025, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2068313
- W. Yao, M. Chen, J. Matas, and J. M. Guererro. "Design and analysis of the droop control method for parallel inverters considering the impact of the complex impedance on the power sharing," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 2, pp. 576-588, Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2046001
- K. Kim and D. Hyun, "Advanced synchronous reference frame controller for three-phase UPS powering unbalanced and nonlinear Loads," Transactions of Korean Institute of Power Electronics (KIPE), Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 508-517, 2005.
- H. Gu, X. Guo, and W. Wu, "Accurate power sharing control for inverter-dominated autonomous microgrid," in Conf. Rec. of IPEMC' 2012-ECCE Asia, pp. 368-372, 2012.
- Y. W. Li and C. N. Kao, "An accurate power control strategy for power-electronics-interfaced distributed generation units operation in a low voltage multi bus microgrid," IEEE Trans. Power Electron, Vol. 24, No. 12, pp. 2977-2988, Dec. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2022828
- J. C. Vasquez, J. M. Guerrero, M. Savaghebi, and R. Teodorescu, "Modeling, analysis, and design of stationary reference frame droop controlled parallel three-phase voltage source inverters," in Proc. ICPE'2011-ECCE Asia, pp. 272-279, 2011.
- F. Blaabjerg, R. Teodorescu, M. Liserre, and A. Timbus, "Overview of control and grid synchronization for distributed power generation system," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 53, No. 5, pp. 1398-1409, Oct. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2006.881997
- D. N. Zmood, D. G. Holmes, and G. H. Bode, "Stationary frame current regulation of PWM inverters with zero steady-state error," IEEE Trans. Power Electron, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 814-822, May 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2003.810852
- Y. Sato, T. Ishizuka, K. Nezu, and T. Kataoka, "A new control strategy for voltage-type PWM rectifiers to realize zero steady-state control error in input current," IEEE Trans. Ind. Application., Vol. 34, No. 3, pp. 480-486, May/Jun. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.673717
- W. Feng, K. Sun, Y. Guan, J. M. Guerrero, and X. Xiao, "The frequency fluctuation impact analysis for droop controlled grid-connecting inverter in microgrid," in Proc. of IPEMC'2016- ECCE Asia, 2016.
- Y. Guan, J. C. Vasquez, and J. M. Guerrero, "Hierarchical controlled grid-connected microgrid based on a novel autonomous current sharing controller," in Proc. of ECCE'2015- ECCE Asia, pp. 2333-2340, 2015.
- A. Micallef, M. Apap, C. Spiteri-Staines, J. M. Guerrero, and J. C. Vasquez, "Reactive power sharing and voltage harmonic distortion compensation of droop controlled single phase islanded microgrids," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 1149-1158, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2013.2291912
- T. Ye, N. Y. Dai, and C. S. Lam, "Analysis, design, and implementation of a quasi-proportional-resonant controller for a multiplication capacitive-coupling grid-connected inverter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Application., Vol. 52, No. 5, pp. 4269-4279, Sep./Oct. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2016.2581152
- F. G. Espin, I. Patrao, and E. Figueres, "An adaptive digital control technique for improved performance of grid connected inverters," IEEE Trans. Ind. Inform., Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 708-718, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2012.2225437
- T. Hornik, Power Quality in Microgrids, Ph. D. Dissertation, University of Liverpool, U.K., 2010.
- Z. Liu, J. Liu, and Y. Zhao, "A Unified control strategy for three-phase inverter in distributed federation," IEEE Trans. Power Electron, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 1176-1191, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2262078
- Z. Liu and J. Liu, "Indirect current control based seamless transfer of three-phase inverter in distributed generation," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 7, pp.3368-3383, Jul. 2014 https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2282319
- K. Lim and J. Choi, "PR based indirect current control for seamless transfer," in Conf. Rec. of IPEMC'2016-ECCE Asia, 2016.
- Seamless Grid Synchronization of a Proportional+Resonant Control-Based Voltage Controller Considering Non-Linear Loads under Islanded Mode vol.10, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/en10101514
- Seamless Transfer Algorithm of AC Microgrid Inverter Compensating Load Current for Weak Grid vol.12, pp.4, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3390/en12040728