- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Voltage Equalizing of Solar Modules for Shadowing Compensation
- Jou, Hurng-Liahng (Department of Electrical Engineering, National Kaohsiung University of Applied Sciences) ;
- Wu, Kuen-Der (Department of Electrical Engineering, National Kaohsiung University of Applied Sciences) ;
- Wu, Jinn-Chang (Department of Microelectronics Engineering, National Kaohsiung Marine University) ;
- Chung, Cheng-Huan (Department of Electrical Engineering, National Kaohsiung University of Applied Sciences) ;
- Huang, Ding-Feng (Department of Electrical Engineering, National Kaohsiung University of Applied Sciences)
- Received : 2016.05.14
- Accepted : 2017.01.25
- Published : 2017.03.20
This paper proposes a shadowing compensation method for the solar modules of grid-connected photovoltaic generation systems. The shadowing compensator (SC) implemented by the proposed shadowing compensation method is used only for the solar modules that can be shaded by predictable sources of shading. The proposed SC can simplify both the power circuit and the control circuit as well as improve power efficiency and utilizes a voltage equalizer configured by a modified multi-winding fly-back converter. The proposed SC harvests energy from the entire solar cell array to compensate for the shaded sub-modules of the solar cell array, producing near-identical voltages of all shaded and un-shaded sub-modules in the solar cell array. This setup prevents the formation of multiple peaks in the P-V curve under shaded conditions. Hardware prototypes are developed for the SCs implemented by the conventional and modified multi-winding fly-back converters, and their performance is verified through testing. The experimental results show that both SCs can overcome the multiple peaks in the P-V curve. The proposed SC is superior to the SC implemented by the conventional multi-winding fly-back converter.
- N. Kumar, T. K. Saha, and J. Dey, "Modeling, control and analysis of cascaded inverter based grid-connected photovoltaic system," International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy System, Vol. 78, pp. 165-173, Jun. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2015.11.092
- X. Wang and H. Liang, "Output characteristics of PV array under different insolation and temperature," in Proc. APPEEC, pp. 1-4, 2012.
- L. F. L Villa, T. P. Ho, J. C. Crebier, and B. Raison, "A Power Electronics Equalizer Application for Partially Shaded Photovoltaic Modules," IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, Vol. 60, No. 3, pp. 1179-1190, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2201431
- B. Liu, C. Liang, and S. Duan, "Design considerations and topology selection for dc-module-based building integrated photovoltaic system," in Proc. IEEE IEA, pp. 1066-1070, Jun. 2008.
- A. Maki and S. Valkealahti, "Differentiation of multiple maximum power points of partially shaded photovoltaic power generator," Renewable Energy, Vol. 71, pp. 89-99, Nov. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2014.05.018
- J. Qi, Y. Zhang and Y.Chen, "Modeling and maximum power point tracking (MPPT) method for PV array under partial shade condition," Renewable Energy, Vol. 66, pp. 337-345, Jun. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2013.12.018
- T. F. Wu, C. L. Kuo, K. H. Sun, Y. K. Chen, Y. R. Chang, and Y. D. Lee, "Integration and operation of a single-phase bidirectional inverter with two buck/boost MPPTs for DC-distribution applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 11, pp. 5098-5106, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2245681
- T. Esram and P. L. Chapman, "Comparison of photovoltaic array maximum power point tracking techniques," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 439-449, Feb. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2006.874230
- C. Rodriguez and G. A. J. Amaratunga, "Analytic solution to the photovoltaic maximum point problem," IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems, Vol. 54, No. 9, pp. 2054-2060, Sep. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2007.902537
- A. I. Dounis, P. Kofinas, C. Alafodimos, and D. Tsele, "Adaptive fuzzy gain scheduling PID controller for maximum power point tracking of photovoltaic system," Renewable Energy, Vol. 60, pp. 202-214, Dec. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2013.04.014
- K. Sundareswaran, V. Vigneshkumar, and S. Palani, "Application of a combined particle swarm optimization and perturb and observe method for MPPT in PV systems under partial shading conditions," Renewable Energy, Vol. 75, pp. 308-317, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2014.09.044
- S. M. Mirhassani, S. Z. M. Golroodbari, S. M. M. Golroodbari, and S. Mekhilef, "A hybrid maximum power point tracking for partially shaded photovoltaic systems in the tropics," Renewable Energy, Vol. 76, pp. 53-65, Apr. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2014.11.005
- R. Ramaprabha, M. Balaji, and B. L. Mathur, "Maximum power point tracking of partially shaded solar PV system using modified Fibonacci search method with fuzzy controller," International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy System, Vol. 43, pp.754-765, Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2012.06.031
- Y. Hu, W. Cao, J. Wu and B. J. D. Holliday, "Thermography based virtual MPPT scheme for improving PV energy efficiency at partial shading conditions," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 11, pp. 5667-5672, Nov. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2325062
- H. Patel and V. Agarwal, "Maximum power point tracking scheme for PV systems operating under partially shaded conditions," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 55, No. 4, pp. 1689-1698, Apr. 2008.
- Y. H. Ji, D. Y. Jung, C. Y. Won, B. K. Lee, and J. W. Kim, "Maximum power point tracking method for PV array under partially shaded condition," in Proc. IEEE ECCE, pp. 307-312, 2009.
- R. Alonso, E. Roman, A. Sanz, V. E. Martinez Santos, and P. Ibanez, "Analysis of inverter-voltage influence on distributed MPPT architecture performance," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 59, No. 10, pp.3900-3907, Oct. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2189532
- F. Scarpetta, M. Liserre, and R. A. Mastromauro, "Adaptive distributed MPPT algorithm for photovoltaic systems," in Proc. IEEE IECON, pp. 5708-5713, 2012.
- J. Du, R. Xu, X. Chen, Y. Li, and J. Wu, "A novel solar panel optimizer with self-compensation for partial shadow condition," in Proc. IEEE Appl. Power Electron. Conf. Expo., pp. 92-96, 2013.
- T. Shimizu, M. Hirakata, T. Kamezawa, and H. Watanabe, "Generation control circuit for photovoltaic modules," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 293-300, May 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.923760
- Y. Nimni and D. Shmilovitz, "A return energy architecture for improved photovoltaic systems efficiency," in Proc. IEEE ISCAS, pp. 2191-2194, 2010.
- H. S. Kim, K. B. Park, H. W. Seong, G. W. Moon, and M. J. Youn, "A new two-switch flyback battery equalizer with low voltage stress on the switches," in Proc. IEEE ECCE, pp. 511-516, 2009.
- C. H. Chung, H. L. Jou, K. D. Wu, and J. C. Wu, "Shadowing compensator for grid-connected photovoltaic generation system," in Proc. IEEE ICIEA, pp. 297-301, 2014.
- J. C. Wu, K. D. Wu, H. L. Jou, and S. K. Chang, "A small-capacity grid-connected solar power generation system," IET Power Electron., Vol. 7, No. 11, pp. 2717-2725, Nov. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2014.0015