- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Research on the Power Sharing Control and Stability of VSGs
- Xie, Dong (Department of Electrical Engineering, Tongling University) ;
- Zang, Da-Jin (Department of Electrical Engineering, Tongling University) ;
- Gao, Peng (Department of Electrical Engineering, Tongling University) ;
- Wang, Jun-Jia (Department of Electrical Engineering, Tongling University)
- Received : 2016.06.22
- Accepted : 2016.12.03
- Published : 2017.03.20
Aiming at the deficiencies of power sharing control performances when a traditional droop control is adopted for microgrid inverters, this paper proposes a microgrid inverter power sharing control strategy based on a virtual synchronous generator. This control method simulates the electromechanical transient characteristics of a synchronous generator in a power system by an ontology algorithm and the control laws of a synchronous generator by control over the speed governor and excitation regulator. As a result, that the microgrid system is able to effectively retain the stability of the voltage and frequency, and the power sharing precision of the microgrid inverter is improved. Based on an analysis of stability of a microgrid system controlled by a virtual synchronous generator, design thoughts are provided for further improvement of the power sharing precision of inverters. The simulation results shows that when the virtual synchronous generator based control strategy was adopted, the power sharing performances of microgrid inverters are improved more obviously than those using the droop control strategy.
Supported by : natural science foundation, Tongling University
- B. Meersman, J. M. Guerrero, and L. Vandevelde, "Voltage-based control of a smart transformer in a microgrid," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 4, pp.1291-1305, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2165463
- F. Nejabatkhah and Y.-W. Li, "Overview of power management strategies of hybrid AC/DC microgrid," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 12, pp. 7072-7089, Dec. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2384999
- M. Rasheduzzaman, J. A. Mueller, and J. W. Kimball, "Reduced-order small-signal model of microgrid systems," IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 1292-1305, Apr. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2015.2433177
- X.-Q. Guo, Z.-G. Lu, B.-C. Wang, X.-F. Sun, L. Wang, and J. M. Guerrero, "Dynamic phasors-based modeling and stability analysis of droop-controlled inverters for microgrid applications," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, Vol. 5, No. 6, pp. 2980-2987, Jun. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2014.2331280
- J.-W. He and Y.-W. Li, "An enhanced microgrid load demand sharing strategy," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 9, pp. 3984-3995, Sep. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2190099
- W. Yao, M. Chen, J. Matas, J. M. Guerrero, and Z.-M. Qian, "Design and analysis of the droop control method for parallel inverters considering the impact of the complex impedance on the power sharing," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 2, pp. 576-588, Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2046001
- J. Driesen, K. Visscher. "Virtual synchronous generators," Proc. of the IEEE PES Meeting, pp. 1-3, 2008.
- R. Aouini, K. B. Kilani, B. Marinescu, and M. Elleuch, "Virtual synchronous generators dynamic performances," International Conference on Electrical Sciences and Technologies, pp. 1-6, 2014.
- T. Shintai, Y. Miura, and T. Ise, "Oscillation damping of a distributed generator using a virtual synchronous generator," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 668-676, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2013.2281359
- C. N. Kawkabani and A. Schwery, "Modeling and control of large salient-pole synchronoushydro generators and stability issues in isolated production mode," IEEE Workshop on Electrical Machines Design Control and Diagnosis, pp. 148-157, 2013.
- M. Cisneros-Gonzalez, C. Hernandez, R. Morales-Caporal, E. Bonilla-Huerta, and M. A. Arjona, "Parameter estimation of a synchronous generator two-axis model based on the standstill chirp test," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 28, No.1, pp. 44-51, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2012.2236433
- G.-Q. Ding, F. Gao, Q.-R. Hao, and S. Zhang, "An improved power sharing control scheme of distributed generation converters in microgrid," International Power Electronics and Application Conference and Exposition, pp. 372-377, 2014.
- R. E. Cosse, M. D. Alford, M. Hajiaghajani, and E. R. Hamilton, "Fundamentals of turbine/generator speed control: a graphical approach for islanding applications," IEEE Industry Applications Magazine, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 56-62, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIAS.2012.2215640
- R. Ramya, K. Selvi, and S. S. Nivethitha, "Optimization of synchronous generator excitation controller parameters," International Conference on Power, Energy and Control, pp. 585-590, 2013.
- H. Huang, C. Mao, J. Lu, and D. Wang, "Small-signal modelling and analysis of wind turbine with direct drive permanent magnet synchronous generator connected to power grid," IET Renewable Power Generation, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 48-58, Jan. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2010.0217