- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of an Angle Droop Controller on the Performance of Distributed Generation Units with Load Uncertainty and Nonlinearity
- Niya, M.S. Koupaei (Department of Electrical Engineering, Shahrekord University) ;
- Kargar, Abbas (Department of Electrical Engineering, Shahrekord University) ;
- Derakhshandeh, S.Y. (Department of Electrical Engineering, Shahrekord University)
- Received : 2016.01.23
- Accepted : 2016.12.13
- Published : 2017.03.20
The present study proposes an angle droop controller for converter interfaced (dispatchable) distributed generation (DG) resources in the islanded mode of operation. Due to the necessity of proper real and reactive power sharing between different types of resources in microgrids and the ability of systems to respond properly to abnormal conditions (sudden load changes, load uncertainty, load current disturbances, transient conditions, etc.), it is necessary to produce appropriate references for all of the mentioned above conditions. The proposed control strategy utilizes a current controller in addition to an angle droop controller in the discrete time domain to generate appropriate responses under transient conditions. Furthermore, to reduce the harmonics caused by switching at converters' output, a LCL filter is used. In addition, a comparison is done on the effects that LCL filters and L filters have on the performance of DG units. The performance of the proposed control strategy is demonstrated for multi islanded grids with various types of loads and conditions through simulation studies in the DigSilent Power Factory software environment.
- R. Majumder, A. Ghosh, G. Ledwich, and F. Zare, "Load sharing and power quality enhanced operation of a distributed microgrid," IET Renew. Power Gener., Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 109-119, Jun. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg:20080001
- R. Majumder, A. Ghosh, G. Ledwich, and F. Zare, "Improvement of stability and load sharing in an autonomous microgrid using supplementary droop control loop," IEEE Trans. Power Systems, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 796-808, May 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2009.2032049
- R. Majumder, A. Ghosh, G. Ledwich, and F. Zare, "Operation and control of hybrid microgrid with angle droop controller," IEEE Region 10 Conference, pp. 509-515, 2010.
- R. Majumder, A. Ghosh, G. Ledwich, and F. Zare, "Angle droop versus frequency droop in a voltage source converter based autonomous microgrid," PES '09. IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting, pp. 1-8, 2009.
- E. Rokrok and G. M. E. H., "Adaptive voltage droop scheme for voltage source converters in an islanded multibus microgrid," IET Gener. Transm. Distrib, Vol. 4, No. 5, pp. 562-578, May 2010. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2009.0146
- N. Pogaku, M. Prodanovic, and T. C. Green, "Modeling, analysis and testing of autonomous operation of an inverter-based microgrid," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 613-625, Mar. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.890003
- M. B. Delghavi and A. Yazdani, "A control strategy for islanded operation of a distributed resource (DR) unit," PES '09. IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting, pp. 1-8, 2009.
- M. B. Delghavi and A. Yazdani, "An adaptive feed forward compensation for stability enhancement in droop-controlled inverter-based microgrids," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 1764-1773, Jul. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2011.2119497
- M. B. Delghavi and A. Yazdani, "Islanded-mode control of electronically coupled distributed-resource units under unbalanced and nonlinear load conditions," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 661-673, Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2010.2042081
- M. B. Delghavi and A. Yazdani, "A unified control strategy for electronically interfaced distributed energy resources," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 803-812, Apr. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2011.2181430
- R. Majumder, A. Ghosh, G. Ledwich, and F. Zare, "Control of parallel converters for load sharing with seamless transfer between grid connected and islanded modes," IEEE Conference in Power and Energy Society General Meeting, pp. 1-7, 2008.
- V. Blasko and V. Kaura, "A novel control to actively damp resonance in input LC filter of a three-phase voltage source converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 542-550, Mar./Apr. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.568021
- M. Raoufi and M. T. Lamchich, "Average current mode control of a voltage source inverter connected to the grid: Application to different filter cells," Journal of Electrical Engineering, Vol. 55, pp. 77-82, 2004.
- J. San-Sebastian, I. Etxeberria-Otadui, A. Rujas, J. A. Barrena, and P. Rodriguez, "Optimized LCL filter design methodology applied to MV grid-connected multimegawatt VSC," IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), pp. 2506 - 2512, 2012.
- Y. Tang, W. Yao, P. C. Loh, and F. Blaabjerg, "Design of LCL-filters with LCL resonance frequencies beyond the nyquist frequency for grid-connected inverters," IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 2015, 2015.
- M. Zabaleta, E. Burguete, D. Madariaga, I. Zubimendi, M. Zubiaga, and I. Larrazabal, "LCL grid filter design of a multi-megawatt medium-voltage converter for offshore wind turbine using SHEPWM modulation," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 1993-2001, Mar. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2442434
- F. Liu, X. Zha, Y. Zhou, and S. Duan, "Design and research on parameter of lcl filter in three-phase grid-connected inverter," IEEE 6th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference, 2009. IPEMC '09, pp. 2174-2177, 2009.
- M.-Y. Park, M.-H. Chi, J.-H. Park, H.-G. Kim, T.-W. Chun, and E.-C. Nho, "LCL-filter design for grid-connected PCS using total harmonic distortion and ripple attenuation factor," IEEE International Power Electronics Conference (IPEC), pp. 1688-1694, 2010.
- B.-G. Cho, S.-K. Sul, H. Yoo, and S.-M. Lee, "LCL filter design and control for grid-connected PWM converter," IEEE 8th International Conference on Power Electronics and ECCE Asia (ICPE & ECCE), pp. 756-763, 2011.
- A. M. Cantarellas, E. Rakhshani, D. Remon, and P. Rodriguez, "Design of passive trap-LCL filters for two-level grid connected converters," IEEE 15th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications (EPE), pp. 1-9, 2013.
- A. Reznik, M. G. Simoes, A. Al-durra, and S. M. Muyeen, "LCL filter design and performance analysis for small wind turbine system ms," in Power Electronics and Machines in Wind Applications (PEMWA), pp. 1-7, 2012.
- A. Reznik, M. G. Simoes, A. Al-Durra, and S. M. Muyeen, "LCL filter design and performance analysis for grid interconnected systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 50, No. 2, pp. 1225-1232, Mar./Apr. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2274612
- T. Kawabata, T. Miyashita, and Y. Yamamoto, "Dead beat control of three phase PWM inverter," IEEE Trans. Power Electron, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 21-28, Jan. 1990.
- R. Chattopadhyay, A. De, and S. Bhattacharya, "Comparison of PR controller and damped pr controller for grid current control of LCL filter based grid-tied inverter under frequency variation and grid distortion," IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), pp. 3634-3641, 2014.
- M. Corinthios, Signals, systems, transforms, and digital signal processing with MATLAB: CRC Press, 2009.
- P. B.C, "Integrated approach to filter design for grid connected power converters," M.S. Thesis, Department of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, India, 2009.