- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Role of a Wiring Model in Switching Cell Transients: the PiN Diode Turn-off Case
- Jedidi, Atef (Lab. of Microelectronics and Instrumentation, Dept. of Physics, University of Monastir) ;
- Garrab, Hatem (Higher Institute of Applied sciences and Technology of Sousse, University of Sousse) ;
- Morel, Herve (Ampere Laboratory, National Institute of Applied Science, University of Lyon) ;
- Besbes, Kamel (Lab. of Microelectronics and Instrumentation, Dept. of Physics, University of Monastir)
- Received : 2016.04.11
- Accepted : 2016.11.19
- Published : 2017.03.20
Power converter design requires simulation accuracy. In addition to the requirement of accurate models of power semiconductor devices, this paper highlights the role of considering a very good description of the converter circuit layout for an accurate simulation of its electrical behavior. This paper considers a simple experimental circuit including one switching cell where a MOSFET transistor controls the diode under test. The turn-off transients of the diode are captured, over which the circuit wiring has a major influence. This paper investigates the necessity for accurate modeling of the experimental test circuit wiring and the MOSFET transistor. It shows that a simple wiring inductance as the circuit wiring representation is insufficient. An adequate model and identification of the model parameters are then discussed. Results are validated through experimental and simulation results.
- R. Fu, A. Grekov, K. Peng, and E. Santi, "Parameter extraction procedure for a physics-based power SiC Schottky diode model," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 50, No. 5, pp. 3558-3568, Sep./Oct. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2014.2304617
- A. Jedidi, H. Garrab, H. Morel, and K. Besbes, "A novel approach to extract the Thyristor design parameters for designing of power electronic systems," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 4, pp. 2174-2183, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2356440
- A. E. Grekov, Z. Chen, R. Fu, J. L. Hudgins, H. A. Mantooth, D. C. Sheridan, J. Casady, and E. Santi, "Parameter extraction procedure for vertical SiC power JFET," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 47, No. 4, pp. 1862-1871, Jul./Aug. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2011.2155018
- R. Chibante, A Araujo, and A Carvalho, "Finite-element modeling and optimization-based parameter extraction algorithme for NPT-IGBT," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 1417-1427, May 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2012388
- G. Fu and P. Xue, "An excess carrier lifetime extraction method for physics-based IGBT models," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 778-785, Mar. 2016. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.2.778
- R. W. Erickson and D. Maksimovic, Fundamentals of Power Electronics, 2nd ed. Berlin, Germany: Kluwer, 2001.
- H. Garrab, "Contribution a la modelisation electro-thermique de la cellule de commutation MOSFET-Diode," Ph.D. dissertation, INSA de Lyon, France, 2003. [online]. Available: http://theses.insalyon.fr/publication/2003ISAL0009/these.pdf
- A. R. Hefner and D. M. Diebolt, "An experimentally verified IGBT model implemented in the Saber circuit simulator," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 9, No. 5, pp. 532-542, Sep. 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.321038
- STTB506D, ultra fast high voltage diode, [Online]. Available: http://www.datasheets360.com/pdf/1742674171027641
- STTA812D, ultra fast high voltage diode, [Online]. Available: http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/SGSThomsonMicroelectronics/mXvqsyu.pdf
- BYT12-P1000, Fast Recovery REctifier diodes, [Online]. Available: http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/22145/STMICROELECTRONICS/BYT12P-1000.html
- BYT12-P600, Fast Recovery REctifier diodes, [Online]. Available: http://www.datasheetlib.com/datasheet/793269/byt12p600_sgs-thomson-microelectronics.html#datasheet
- Tektronics, P5100 Voltage Probe: Data Sheet, 2003. [Online]. Available: http://www.tek.com.
- N. Mohan, T. Undeland, and R. Robbins, Power Electronics Converters, Applications and Design, 2nd ed. New York: Wiley Interscience, 1995.
- L. Hernandez, A. Claudio, M. A. Rodriguez, M. Ponce, and A. Tapia, "Physical modeling of SiC power diodes with empirical approximation," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 381-388, May 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.3.381
- DESSIS-ISE TCAD Release 10.0: User's Guide Manual, Integrated Systems Engineering, Zurich, Switzerland, 2004.
- H. Garrab, A. Jedidi, H. Morel, and K. Besbes, "A novel approach to accurately determine the tq parameter of thyristors," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 64, No. 1, pp. 206-216, Jan. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2016.2609381
- H. Garrab, B. Allard, H. Morel, K. Ammous, S. Ghedira, A. Ammimi, K. Besbes, and J.M Guichon, "On the extraction of PIN diode design parameters for validation of integrated power converter design," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 660-670, May 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.846544
- H. Wang, G. Tang, Z. He, and J. Cao, "Power loss and junction temperature analysis in the modular multilevel converters for HVDC transmission systems," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 685-694, May 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.3.685
- O. Muhlfeld and F. W. Fuchs, "Comprehensive optimization method for thermal properties and parasitics in power modules," in Proc. IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition., pp. 2266-2271, 2010.
- ANSYS Q3D Extractor, http://www.ansys.com/Products/Electronics/ANSYSQ3D-Extractor
- S. Safavi and J. Ekman, "A hybrid PEEC-SPICE method for time-domain simulation of mixed nonlinear circuits and electromagnetic problems," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 56, No. 4, pp. 912-922, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEMC.2014.2300372
- J. M. Guichon, E. Clavel, C. Turbidi, and J. L. Gelet, "Electromagnetic modeling of a structure to test fuses," PCIM Europe, pp. 60-64, 2000.
- J. M. Guichon, E. Atienza, E. Clavel, J. Roudet, and V. Mazauric, "Automatic design of busbars considering electrical criteria," IEEE-PES-TD, 2001.
- M. Liang, T. Q. Zheng, and Y. Li, "An improved analytical model for predicting the switching performance of SiC MOSFETs," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 374-384, Jan. 2016. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.1.374
- T. Liu, R. Ning, T. Y. Wong, and Z. J. Shen, "Modeling and analysis of SiC MOSFET switching oscillations," IEEE J. Emerg. Sel. Topics Power Electron., Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 747-756, Sep. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2016.2587358
- K. Ammous, H. Morel, and A. Ammous, "Analysis of power switching losses accounting probe modeling," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Measurm., Vol. 59, No. 12, pp. 3218-3226, Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2010.2047302