- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Methanolic Extract of Plumbago Zeylanica - A Remarkable Antibacterial Agent Against Many Human and Agricultural Pathogens
- Singh, Mukesh Kumar (Department of Pharmacy, Shri Rawatpura Sarkar Institute of Pharmacy) ;
- Pandey, Ajit (Department of Pharmacy, Shri Rawatpura Sarkar Institute of Pharmacy) ;
- Sawarkar, Hemant (Department of Pharmacy, Shri Rawatpura Sarkar Institute of Pharmacy) ;
- Gupta, Anshita (Department of Pharmacy, Shri Rawatpura Sarkar Institute of Pharmacy) ;
- Gidwani, Bina (Department of Pharmacy, Shri Rawatpura Sarkar Institute of Pharmacy) ;
- Dhongade, Hemant (Department of Pharmacy, Shri Rawatpura Sarkar Institute of Pharmacy) ;
- Tripathi, Dulal Krishna (Department of Pharmacy, Rungta College of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research)
- Received : 2017.01.04
- Accepted : 2017.02.08
- Published : 2017.03.31
Objectives: The current investigation was carried out to determine the cytotoxic and the antimicrobial activities of methanolic extracts of Plumbago zeylanica. Methods: The stems, leaves, and whole plants were air dried and extracted with methanol by using a Soxhlet extractor for 72 hours at
- Nitta T, Arai T, Takamatsu H, Inatomi Y, Murata H, Iinuma M, et al. Antibacterial activity of extracts prepared from tropical and subtropical plants on methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. J Health Sci. 2002;48(3):273-6. https://doi.org/10.1248/jhs.48.273
- Farombi EO. African indigenous plants with chemotherapeutic potentials and biotechnological approach to the production of bioactive prophylactic agents. African J Biotech. 2003;2:662-71. https://doi.org/10.5897/AJB2003.000-1122
- Mandavkar YD, Jalalpure SS. A comprehensive review on Plumbago zeylanica Linn. Afr J Pharm Pharmacol. 2011;5(25):2738-47.
- Chauhan A, Chauhan G, Gupta PC, Goyal P, Kaushik P. In vitro antibacterial evaluation of Anabaena sp. against several clinically significant microflora and HPTLC analysis of its active crude extracts. Indian J Pharmacol. 2010;42(2):105-7. https://doi.org/10.4103/0253-7613.64490
- Bhushan B, Prakash I, Abhay F. Evaluation of antimicrobial activity of medicinal plant Jatropha podagrica (Hook). Roumanian Biotechnol Lett. 2008;13(5):3873-77.
- Singh MK, Prathapan A, Nagori K, Ishwarya S, Raghu KG. Cytotoxic and antimicrobial activity of methanolic extract of Boerhaavia diffusa L. Research J Pharm and Tech. 2010;3(4):1061-3.
- S Rani, S Murty. Antifungal potential of flower head extract of Spinlanthes acmella Linn. African J of Biomed Res. 2006;9(1):67-9.
- Kawase M, Motohashi N, Satoh K, Sakagami H, Nakashima H, Tani S, et al. Biological activity of persimmon (Diospyros kaki) peel extracts. Phytother Res. 2003;17(5):495-500. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.1183
- Arunbala, Gautam B, Bala A, Kumar A, Dubey C. Review on morphology, chemical constituents and phytopharmacological activities of Plumbago zeylanica Linn. IJPRS. 2014;3(1):392-401.
- Shweta S, Dubey S. Antimicrobial activity of leaves extract of Plumbago zeylanica plant against known drugs. IJRSB. 2015;3(6):1-6.
- Velammal SP, Devi TA, Amaladhas TP. Antioxidant, antimicrobial and cytotoxic activities of silver and gold nanoparticles synthesized using Plumbago zeylanica bark. J Nanostruct Chem. 2016;6(3):247-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40097-016-0198-x