- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Symmetric Motion Estimation Method by using the Properties of the Distribution of Motion Vectors
움직임 벡터 분포 특성과 블록 움직임의 특성을 이용한 대칭형 움직임 추정 기법
- Received : 2016.11.15
- Accepted : 2017.02.14
- Published : 2017.03.28
In video compression, Motion Estimation(ME) limits the performance of image quality and generated bit rates. However, it requires much complexity in the encoder part. Multi-view video uses many cameras at different positions. Multi-view video coding needs huge computational complexity in proportion to the number of the cameras. To reduce computational complexity and maintain the image quality, an effective motion estimation method is proposed in this paper. The proposed method exploiting the characteristics of motion vector distribution and the motion of video. The proposed is a kind of a hierarchical search strategy. This strategy consists of multi-grid rhombus pattern, diagonal pattern, rectangle pattern, and refinement pattern. Experiment results show that the complexity reduction of the proposed method over TZ search method and PBS (Pel Block Search) on JMVC (Joint Multiview Video Coding) can be up to 40~75% and 98% respectively while maintaining similar video image quality and generated bit rates.
Motion Estimation;Multi-view Video;Multi-view Video Coding;Motion Vector
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- A. Smolic, K. Mueller, P. Merkle, C. Fehn, P. kauff, P. Eisert, and T. Wiegand, "3D Video and Free Viewpoint Video - Technologies, Applications and MPEG Standards," IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Exposition, 2006(7).
- ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 N10357, "Vision on 3D Video," 2009(2).
- T. Koga, K. Iinuma, A. Hirano, and Y. Ishiguro, "Motion compensated interframe coding for video conference," NTC81, pp.G5.3.1-5.3.5, 1981.
- R. Li, B. Zeng, and M. L. Liou, "A New Three Step Search Algorithm for Block Motion Estimation," IEEE Trans. on Circuits and System for Video Technology, Vol.4, No.4, pp.438-441, 1994(8). https://doi.org/10.1109/76.313138
- J. R. Jain and A. K. Jain, "Displacement measurement and its application in Interframe image Coding," IEEE Trans. on Communications, Vol.29, No.12, pp.1779-1808, 1981.
- L. M. Po and W. C. Ma, "A Novel Four Search Algorithm for Block Motion Estimation," IEEE Transactions on Circuit and Systems for Video Technology, Vol.6, pp.313-317, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/76.499840
- J. Y. Tham, S. Ranganath, and A. A. Kassim, "A Novel Unretricted Center-Biased Diamond Search Algorithm for Block Motion Estimation," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol.8, pp.369-377, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/76.709403
- S. Zhu and K. K. Ma, "A New Diamond Search Algorithm for Fast Block Matching Motion," IEEE Transaction on Image Processing, Vol.9, No.2, pp.287-290, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/83.821744
- Yuk Ying Chung and Neil W. Bergmann, "Fast Search Block Matching Motion Estimation Algorithm using FPGA," Visual Communications and Image Processing 2000, Proc.SPIE, Vol.4067, pp.913-921.
- Danian Gong and Yun He, "Fast Motion Estimation Algorithm using Horizontal and Multi-grid Search Strategy," Picture Coding Symposium 2001, pp.362-365.
- Prabhudev Irappa Howur and K. K. Ma, "Report on Performance of Fast Motion Estimation using Motion Vector Field Adaptive Search Technique," ISO/IEC/JCTI/SC29/WG11 M5453, 1999(12).
- Ce Zhu, Xion Lin, and Lau-Pui Chau, "Hexagon based search pattern for fast block motion estimation," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol.12, pp.349-355, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSVT.2002.1003474
- A. M. Tourapis, O. C. Au, and M. L. Liou, "Fast Block Matching Motion Estimation using Predictive Motion Vector Field Adaptive Search Technique," ISO/IEC/JCTI/SC29/WG11 MPEG 2000/M5866, 2000(3).
- Z. Chen, P. Zhou, and Y. He, " Fast Integer pel and Fractional pel motion estimation in for JVT," in JVT of ISO/ICE/ MPEG and ITU-T VCEG, 6th meeting, 2002.
- TANG Xiu-lil, OAT Sheng-kui, and CAT Can-hui, "An Analysis of TZSearch Algorithm in JMVC," pp.516-519, 2010.
- N. Purnachand, Luis Nero Alves, and Antonio Navarro, "Improvements to TZ search motion estimation algorithm for multiview video coding," IWSSIP 2012, pp.388-391, 2012.
- H. S Yoon and G. S. Lee, "Adaptive Motion Estimation method using temporal correlation," The KIPS Transactions: Part B, Vol.9, No.2, pp.199-204, 2004.