- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Relative Effects of Individual vs. Group Monetary Incentive Systems with and without Feedback on Work Performance
상이한 성과급 분배 방식과 피드백 제공 여부가 근로자의 수행에 미치는 상대적 효과 비교
- Received : 2017.02.13
- Accepted : 2017.02.28
- Published : 2017.03.28
The purpose of this study was to examine whether the effect of feedback would mask the performance differences that would result from different incentive pay distribution. Five critical service behaviors were identified and measured daily at a gas station located in Seoul. Participants were 5 employees working at the gas station. Independent variables were the types of incentive distribution and feedback. After baseline (A), equally-distributed group incentive condition (B) was introduced, and individual incentive condition (C) was introduced in the next phase. Then, after the withdrawal condition (A'), equally-distributed group incentive with feedback condition (B') was introduced and finally, the individual incentive with feedback condition (C') was introduced. The results suggested that all employees showed higher work performance under individual incentive than equally-distributed group incentive system when feedback were not delivered. However, there was no difference in work performance between two incentive conditions in the phases in which feedback were delivered. These findings suggest that feedback can reduce performance differences between equally-distributed group incentives and individual incentives.
Equally-distributed Group Incentive;Individual Incentive;Feedback∣Masking;Service Behaviors
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- S. J. Condly, R. E. Clark, and H. D. Stolovitch, "The effects of incentives on workplace performance: A meta-analytic review of research studies," Performance Improvement Quarterly, Vol.16, pp.46-63, 2003.
- W. Dierks and K. McNally, "Incentives you can bank on," Personnel Administrator, Vol.32, No.3, pp.60-65, 1987.
- J. S. Bailey, "The editor's page," Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, Vol.20, p.113, 1987.
- A. C. Daniels and J. S. Bailey, Performance management: changing behavior that drives organizational effectiveness, Atlanta: Aubrey Daniels International. Inc, 2014.
- C. Conrad, Strategic organizational communication: Toward the twenty-first century(3rd ed.), Fort Worth, TX: Harcourt Brace College Publishers, 1994.
- E. E. Lawler III, Strategic pay: Aligning organizational strategies and pay systems, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1990.
- A. M. Dickinson and K. L. Gillette, "A comparison of the effects of two individual monetary incentive systems on productivity: Piece rate pay versus base pay plus incentives," Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol.14, No.1, pp.3-82, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030140103
- J. L. Farr, "Incentive schedules, productivity, and satisfaction in work groups: A laboratory study," Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, Vol.17, No.1, pp.159-170, 1976. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(76)90059-3
- J. A. Honeywell, A. M. Dickinson, and A. Poling, "Individual performance as a function of individual and group pay contingencies," The Psychological Record, Vol.47, No.2, pp.261-274, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03395224
- M. London and G. R. Oldham, "A comparison of group and individual incentive plans," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.20, No.1, pp.34-41, 1977. https://doi.org/10.2307/255460
- S. L. Roberts and K. A. Leary, Pay for performance, Unpublished manuscript, 1990.
- K. G. Stoneman and A. M. Dickinson, "Individual performance as a function of group contingencies and group size," Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol.10, No.1, pp.131-150, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1300/J075v10n01_08
- 문광수, 오세진, "소집단 내에서 성과급 분배 방법의 차이가 직무수행에 미치는 영향에 대한 검증," 한국심리학회지: 산업 및 조직, 제20권, 제4호, pp.437-458, 2007.
- N. M. Thurkow, J. S. Bailey, and M. R. Stamper, "The effects of group and individual monetary incentives on productivity of telephone interviewers," Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol.20, No.2, pp.3-25, 2000.
- D. B. Allison, J. M. Silverstein, and V. Galante, "Relative effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of cooperative, competitive, and independent monetary incentive systems," Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol.13, No.1, pp.85-112, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1300/J075v13n01_06
- 오세진, 문광수, 이충원, "상이한 성과급 비율이 직무수행에 미치는 상대적 영향력에 대한 체계적 재검증," 한국심리학회지: 산업 및 조직, 제20권, 제3호, pp.315-333, 2007.
- C. J. Frisch and A. M. Dickinson, "Work productivity as a function of the percentage of monetary incentives to base pay," Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol.11, No.1, pp.13-34, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1300/J075v11n01_03
- J. J. Gaetani, D. D. Hoxeng, and J. T. Austin, "Engineering compensation systems: Effects of commissioned versus wage payment," Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol.7, No.1-2, pp.51-64, 1986.
- J. M. LaMere, A. M. Dickinson, M. Henry, G. Henry, and A. Poling, "Effects of a multicomponent monetary incentive program on the performance of truck drivers a longitudinal study," Behavior Modification, Vol.20, No.4, pp.385-405, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1177/01454455960204002
- D. A. Smoot and P. K. Duncan, "The search for the optimum individual monetary incentive pay system: A comparison of the effects of flat pay and linear and non-linear incentive pay systems on worker productivity," Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol.17, No.2, pp.5-75, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1300/J075v17n02_02
- T. C. Mawhinney, "Maximizing versus matching in people versus pigeons," Psychological Reports, Vol.50, No.1, pp.267-281, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19220.127.116.117
- B. R. Bucklin, H. M. McGee, and A. M. Dickinson, "The effects of individual monetary incentives with and without feedback," Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol.23, No.2-3, pp.65-94, 2003.
- G. A. Matthews and A. M. Dickinson, "Effects of alternative activities on time allocated to task performance under different percentages of incentive pay," Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol.20, No.1, pp.3-27, 2000.
- B. R. Bucklin and A. M. Dickinson, "Individual monetary incentives: A review of different types of arrangements between performance and pay," Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol.21, No.3, pp.45-137, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1300/J075v21n03_03
- F. Balcazar, B. L. Hopkins, and Y. Suarez, "A critical, objective review of performance feedback," Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol.7, No.3-4, pp.65-89, 1985.
- D. M. Messick and T. Schell, "Evidence for an equality heuristic in social decision making," Acta Psychologica, Vol.80, No.1, pp.311-323, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-6918(92)90053-G
- T. R. Buyniski, ""Feedback Pay" Using compensation as a business management tool," Compensation & Benefits Review, Vol.27, No.3, pp.62-70, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1177/088636879502700312
- Alan S. Blinder, ed. Paying for productivity: A look at the evidence, Brookings Institution Press, 2011.