- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Novel assessment method of heavy metal pollution in surface water: A case study of Yangping River in Lingbao City, China
- Liu, Yingran (Faculty of Engineering, China University of Geosciences) ;
- Yu, Hongming (Faculty of Engineering, China University of Geosciences) ;
- Sun, Yu (The Fourth Geological Exploration Institute of Henan Geology and Mineral Bureau) ;
- Chen, Juan (The Fourth Geological Exploration Institute of Henan Geology and Mineral Bureau)
- Received : 2016.01.27
- Accepted : 2016.09.06
- Published : 2017.03.31
The primary purpose of this research is to understand those elements that define heavy metals contamination and to propose a novel assessment method based on principal component analysis (PCA) in the Yangping River region of Lingbao City, China. This paper makes detailed calculations regarding such factors the single-factor assessment (
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, National Youth Science Foundation of China
- Ying W, Yang Z, Shen Z, Tang Z, Niu J, Gao F. Assessment of heavy metals in sediments from a typical catchment of the Yangtze River, China. Environ. Monit. Assess. 2011;172:407-417. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-010-1343-5
- Martinez JL, Raiber M, Cox ME. Assessment of groundwater-surface water interaction using long-term hydrochemical data and isotope hydrology: Headwaters of the Condamine River, Southeast Queensland, Australia. Sci. Total Environ. 2015;536: 499-516. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2015.07.031
- Seongmook P, Futaba K, Shunhwa L. Assessment of water quality using multivariate statistical techniques: A case study of the Nakdong River Basin, Korea. Environ. Modell. Softw. 2007;22:464-475. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2006.02.001
- Sun W, Xia C, Xu M, Guo J, Sun G. Application of modified water quality indices as indicators to assess the spatial and temporal trends of water quality in the Dongjiang River. Ecol. Indic. 2016;66:306-312. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2016.01.054
- Sahoo MM, Patra KC, Khatua KK. Inference of water quality index using ANFIA and PCA. Aquatic Procedia. 2015;4:1099-1106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aqpro.2015.02.139
- An Q, Wu Y, Wang J, Li Z. Assessment of dissolved heavy metal in the Yangtze River estuary and its adjacent sea, China. Environ. Monit. Assess. 2010;164:173-187. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-009-0883-z
- Bhutiani R, Kulkarni DB, Khanna DR, Gautam A. Water quality, pollution source apportionment and health risk assessment of heavy metals in groundwater of an industrial area in North India. Water Qual. Expo. Health 2016;8:3-18.
- Dwivedi AK, Vankar PS. Source identification study of heavy metal contamination in the industrial hub of Unnao, India. Environ. Monit. Assess. 2014;186:3531-3539. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-014-3636-6
- Zhang XM, Qiao CJ, Cai XD, et al. Characteristics of Yinjiagou polymetal-pyrite deposit related to pulse magmatic intrusions in Henan, China. Global Geol. 2008;27:137-145.
- Jahanshahi R, Zare M. Assessment of heavy metals pollution in groundwater of Golgohar iron ore mine area, Iran. Environ. Earth Sci. 2015;74:505-520. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-015-4057-8
- Xie Z, Sun Z, Zhang H, Zhai J. Contamination assessment of arsenic and heavy metals in a typical abandoned estuary wetland-a case study of the Yellow River Delta Natural Reserve. Environ. Monit. Assess. 2014;186:7211-7232. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-014-3922-3
- Nabulo G, Young SD, Black CR. Assessing risk to human health from tropical leafy vegetables grown on contaminated urban soils. Sci. Total Environ. 2010;408:5338-5351. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2010.06.034
- Dong J, Yang QW, Sun LN, et al. Assessing the concentration and potential dietary risk of heavy metals in vegetables at a Pb/Zn mine site, China. Environ. Earth Sci. 2011;64:1317-1321. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-011-0992-1
- Zhu X, Ji H, Chen Y, Qiao M, Tang L. Assessment and sources of heavy metals in surface sediments of Miyun Reservoir, Beijing. Environ. Monit. Assess. 2012;185:6049-6062.
- Chandrasekaran A, Mukesh MV, Chidambaram S, et al. Assessment of heavy metal distribution pattern in the sediments of Tamirabarani river and estuary, east coast of Tamil Nadu, India. Environ. Earth Sci. 2015;73:2441-2452. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-014-3593-y
- Sin YM, Wong MK, Chou LM, Alias NB. A study of the heavy metal concentrations of the Singapore River. Environ. Monit. Assess. 1991;19:481-494. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00401335
- Nan Y, Liu W, Xie H, et al. Distribution and assessment of heavy metals in the surface sediment of Yellow River, China. J. Environ. Sci.-China 2015;39:453-459.
- Zhang Z, Abuduwaili J, Jiang F. Heavy metal contamination, sources, and pollution assessment of surface water in the Tianshan Mountains of China. Environ. Monit. Assess. 2015; 187:1-13. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-014-4167-x
- Salati S, Moore F. Assessment of heavy metal concentration in the Khoshk River water and sediment, Shiraz, Southwest Iran. Environ. Monit. Assess. 2010;164:677-689. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-009-0920-y
- Thuong NT, Yoneda M, Ikegami M, Takakura M. Source discrimination of heavy metals in sediment and water of To Lich River in Hanoi City using multivariate statistical approaches. Environ. Monit. Assess. 2013;185:8065-8075. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-013-3155-x
- Islam MS, Ahmed MK, Raknuzzaman M, Habibullah-Al-Mamun M, Islam MK. Heavy metal pollution in surface water and sediment: A preliminary assessment of an urban river in a developing country. Ecol. Indic. 2015;48:282-291. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2014.08.016
- Pekey H. The distribution and sources of heavy metals in Izmit Bay surface sediments affected by a polluted stream. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 2006;52:1197-1208. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2006.02.012
- Adokoh CK, Obodai EA, Essumang DK, Serfor-Armah Y, Nyarko BJ, Asabere-Ameyaw A. Statistical evaluation of environmental contamination, distribution and source assessment of heavy metals (aluminum, arsenic, cadmium, and mercury) in some lagoons and an estuary along the coastal belt of Ghana. Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 2011;61:389-400. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00244-011-9643-5
- Oves M, Khan MS, Zaidi A, Ahmad E. Soil contamination, nutritive value, and human health risk assessment of heavy metals: An overview. In: Zaidi A, Wani PA, Khan MS, eds. Toxicity of heavy metals to legumes and bioremediation. Springer Vienna; 2012. p. 1-27.
- Wang QR, Dong Y, Cui Y, Liu X. Instances of soil and crop heavy metal contamination in China. Soil Sediment Contam. 2001;10:497-510. https://doi.org/10.1080/20015891109392
- Ma X, Hang Z, Tian M, et al. Assessment of heavy metals contamination in sediments from three adjacent regions of the Yellow River using metal chemical fractions and multivariate analysis techniques. Chemosphere 2016;144:264-272. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2015.08.026
- SEPAC (State Environmental Protection Administration), AQSIQC (Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine of China). Environmental quality standards for surface water of the People's Republic of China (GB3838-2002). 2002. (in Chinese).
- Organization WH. Guidelines for Drinking-water Quality 4th ed. WHO, Geneva, Switzerland; 2011.
- Assessment of heavy-metal pollution in three different Indian water bodies by combination of multivariate analysis and water pollution indices pp.1549-7860, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/10807039.2018.1497946
- Investigation of the characteristics of concentrated leachate from six municipal solid waste incineration power plants in China vol.8, pp.24, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1039/C7RA13259J
- Characteristics of metal contamination in paddy soils from three industrial cities in South Korea pp.1573-2983, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10653-019-00246-1