- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Design and Analysis of the Eddy Current Brake with the Winding Change
- Cho, Sooyoung (Department of Electrical Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Liu, Huai-Cong (Department of Electrical Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Lee, Ju (Department of Electrical Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Lee, Chang-Moo (Korea Railroad Research Institute) ;
- Go, Sung-Chul (Samsung Electronics Company, Ltd.) ;
- Ham, Sang-Hwan (School of Electrical Engineering, Kyungil University) ;
- Woo, Jong-Hyuk (Department of Electrical Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Lee, Hyung-Woo (Department of Railway Vehicle System Engineering, Korea National University of Transportation)
- Received : 2017.01.24
- Accepted : 2017.02.21
- Published : 2017.03.31
This paper is a study of the eddy current brake designed to replace the air brake of railway application. The eddy current brake has the advantage of being able to take a high current density compared to the other application because this brake is used for applying brakes to the rolling stock for a shorter amount of time. Also, this braking system has the merit of being able to take a high current density at low speed rather than at high speed, because the heat generated by the low speed operation is less than that of the high speed operation. This paper also presents a method of improving the output torque of the eddy current brake at low speed operation through a change of the winding as well as the basic design.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)
- L. Jin, X. Jianchang, and L. Fang, Third international conference on measuring technology and mechatronics automation (ICMTMA), 2, 1111 (2011).
- M. Hofmann, T. Werle, R. Pfeiffer, and A. Binder, IEEE Trans. Magn. 36, 1758 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1109/20.877784
- S. E. Gay and M. Ehsani, IEEE Trans. Magn. 42, 319 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2005.860782
- S. Cho, T. Jeong, J. Bae, C. Yoo, and J. Lee, Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, 12, 459 (2017). https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2017.12.1.459
- J.-N. Bae, Y.-E. Kim, Y.-W. Son, H.-S. Moon, C.-H. Yoo, and J. Lee, IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. 62, 3091 (2014).
- R. Yazdanpanah and M. Mirsalim, IEEE Trans. Magn. 50, 8000710 (2014).
- A. Zamani, IET Electrical Systems in Transportation, 4, 38-44 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-est.2013.0008
- J. D. Edwards, B. V. Jayawant, W. R. C. Dawson, and D. T. Wright, IEE Proc. Electr. Power Appl. 146, 627 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-epa:19990574
- S. Sharif, J. Faiz, and K. Sharif, IET Electric Power Applications, 6, 661 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2012.0006
- Eddy Current Brake With a Two-Layer Structure: Calculation and Characterization of Braking Performance vol.53, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2017.2707555