- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Parametric Optimization and Performance Analysis of Outer Rotor Permanent Magnet Flux Switching Machine for Downhole Application
- Kumar, Rajesh (Research Center for Applied Electromagnetics, University of Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia) ;
- Sulaiman, Erwan (Research Center for Applied Electromagnetics, University of Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia) ;
- Jenal, Mahyuzie (Research Center for Applied Electromagnetics, University of Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia) ;
- Bahrim, Fatiah Shafiqah (Research Center for Applied Electromagnetics, University of Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia)
- Received : 2017.01.25
- Accepted : 2017.02.23
- Published : 2017.03.31
To empower safe, economical and eco-friendly sustainable solution for enhancing oil and gas productivity from deep water reservoirs, new downhole technologies are recommended. Since electric machine plays leading role in the downhole application, it is a squeezing requirement for researchers to design and develop advanced electric machine. The Recent improvement in technology and uses of high-temperature magnets, permanent magnet flux switching machine (PMFSM) has become one of the appropriate contenders for offshore drilling but fewer designed for downhole due to ambient temperature. Therefore this comprehensive study deals with the design optimization and performance analysis of outer rotor PMFSM for the downhole application. Preliminary, the basic design parameters needed for machine design are calculated mathematically. Then the design refinement technique is implemented through deterministic method. Finally, initial and optimized performance of the machine is compared and as a result the output torque is increase from 16.39 Nm to 33.57 Nm while diminishing the cogging torque and PM weight up to 1.77 Nm and 0.79 kg, respectively. Therefore, it is concluded that purposed optimized design is suitable for the downhole application.
- World Energy Outlook, International Energy Agency (2013) pp. 63.
- Oil and Gas Industries Technology Master Plan, European Oil and Gas Innovation Forum (2004) pp. 4.
- I. Sandrea and R. Sandrea, Oil and Gas Journal (2007) pp. 1-8.
- A. Chen, R. B. Ummaneni, R. Nilssen, and A. Nysveen, 13th International Power Electronics and Motion Conference, Poland (2008) pp. 814-818.
- N. Griffiths and S. Breit, 35th Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir Engineering, USA (2010).
- A. Chen, Ph.D Thesis, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway (2011) pp. 1-141.
- A. Chen, R. Nilssen, and A. Nysveen, IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. 46, 779 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2009.2039914
- M. Solesa and V. Sagalovskiy, MEALF, Oman (2007).
- Z. Bingyi, L. Bingxue, F. Guihong, and Z. Fuyu, IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation, China (2007) pp. 1011-1016.
- S. E. Rauch and L. J. Johnson, AIEE Trans. Power Appl. Sys. 74, 1261 (1995).
- E. Hoang, A. H. B. Ahmed, and J. Lucidame, Switching Flux PM Polyphased Synchronous Machines, 7th European Conference on Power Electronics Applications 3, 903 (1997).
- Z. Q. Zhu, Y. Pang, D. Howe, S. Iwasaki, R. Deodhar, and A. Pride, IEEE Trans. Magn. 41, 4277 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2005.854441
- C. S. Walter, H. Polinder, and J. A. Ferreira, IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics 1, 327 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2013.2280183
- Z. Q. Zhu, J. T. Chen, and D. Howe, IEEE Trans. Magn. 44, 4313 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2008.2001525
- M. Jenal, E. Sulaiman, M. Z. Ahmad, F. Khan, and M. F. Omar, XXII International Conference on Electrical Machines, Switzerland (2016) pp. 2399-2405.
- C. V. Aravind, M. Norhisam, I. Aris, D. Ahmad, and M. Nirei, IEEE SCORED, Malaysia (2011) pp. 294-299.
- W. Xu, J. Zhu, Y. Zhang, Y. Wang, Y. Li, and J. Hu, 20th Australian Universities Power Engineering Conference (2010).
- M. Jenal, E. Sulaiman, and R. Kumar, J. Magn. 21, 537 (2016). https://doi.org/10.4283/JMAG.2016.21.4.537
- M. Jenal, E. Sulaiman, F. Khan, and Md. Z. Ahmad, Applied Mechanics and Materials 785, 274 (2015). https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.785.274
- W. Fei, P. C. K. Luk, J. X. Shen, Y. Wang, and M. Jin, IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. 48, 1496 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2012.2210009
- R. Kumar, E. Sulaiman, F. Khan, L. I. Jusoh, and F. S. Bahrim, 2nd International Conference on Science and Technology for Sustainability (2016).
- A. Zulu, Ph.D Thesis, Newcastle University, United Kingdom (2010).
- J. X. Shen, Y. Wang, C. F. Wang, W. Z. Fei, and P. C. Luk, The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering 30, 48 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1108/03321641111091421