- Volume 34 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Taping Therapy on the Expression of cFos Protein and Pain Suppression in Acute Ankle Sprain in Rats
흰쥐의 급성 발목삠에서 테이핑요법이 cFos 단백의 발현과 통증억제에 미치는 영향
- Choi, Suck-Jun (Department of Medical Noncommissioned Officer, Wonkwang Health Science University) ;
- Byun, Sin-Kyu (Department of Combat Noncommissioned Officer, Wonkwang Health Science University) ;
- Lee, Gyoung-Wan (Department of Nursing, Wonkwang Health Science University) ;
- Kim, Jae-Hyo (Department of Meridian & Acupoint, College of Korean Medicine, Wonkwang University) ;
- Yang, Seung-Bum (Department of Medical Noncommissioned Officer, Wonkwang Health Science University)
- 최석준 (원광보건대학교 의무부사관과) ;
- 변신규 (원광보건대학교 전투부사관과) ;
- 이경완 (원광보건대학교 간호학과) ;
- 김재효 (원광대학교 한의과대학 경혈학교실) ;
- 양승범 (원광보건대학교 의무부사관과)
- Received : 2017.02.06
- Accepted : 2017.03.14
- Published : 2017.03.27
Objectives : The purpose of this study was to evaluate effects of taping therapy on recovery of behavioral symptoms and neural excitability of the lumbar spinal cord in rat model for ankle sprain. Methods : Adult Sprague-Dawley rats was used and divided into 3 experimental groups: normal group(n=6), ankle sprain(n=6), and ankle sprain with taping treatment(n=6). In order to induce ankle sprain the right ankle joint was injured with 4~5 repetitive over-flexions and over-extensions manually. The severity of joint pain was evaluated by measuring foot weight bearing force ratio(FWBRF) of the hind limb and the injury-induced edema formation by diameter of the joint following ankle sprain. The changes of neural excitability in the lumbar spinal cord was tested by observation of cFos protein expression, a metabolic marker for neural excitation. Results : Severity of ankle injury induced in this experiment coincided with Grade 1 ankle sprain. Compared with ankle sprain group, ankle sprain＋taping showed a significant reductions of joint pain as well as of edema formation at the ankle joint following ankle sprain. There was significant upregulation of cFos-immunoreactive neurons in the lumbar spinal cord 24 hours after ankle sprain. In contrast, taping therapy resulted in significant inhibition of cFos-immunoreactive neurons in the lumbar spinal cord. Conclusions : Collectively, these results suggest that taping therapy may be an alternative therapeutic intervention for symptom recovery of the mild ankle sprain.
Supported by : Wonkwang Health Science University
- Han KJ, Oh MS, Choi SH. Clinical Research on Effect Technique of Auricular Acupuncture Therapy on Ankle sprain. Daejeon University Institute of Oriental Medicine's collection of dissertations. 2004 ; 13(1) : 287-93.
- Kim EK, Choi HK. Surveillance of Sports Injury and Illness at the Sports Medicine Clinic of Korea National Sport University during 2013. Sports Science. 2014 ; 31(2) : 77-83.
- Wolfe MW, Uhl TL, Mattacola CG, McCluskey LC. Management of ankle sprains. Am Fam Physician. 2001 ; 63(1) : 93-104.
- Hanuri Editorial Department. The Merck Manual. Hanuri publishing. 2002 : 526-27.
- Anandacoomarasamy A, Barnsley L. Long term outcomes of inversion ankle injuries. Br J Sports Med. 2005 ; 39 : 14. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2004.011676
- Kim H, Kang HJ. The effect of kinesio taping on proprioception at the ankle. The official journal of the korean association of certified exercise professionals. 2014 ; 16(4) : 93-9.
- Tropp H, Askling C, Guillquist J. Prevention of ankle sprains. Am. J. Sports Med. 1985 ; 13 : 259-62. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354658501300408
- Jang YH, Kim HD. Comparing the effects of the kinesio taping and cutaneous stimulation on the stability of Ankle joint during jumping. The Korea Contents Society. 2013 ; 2013(5) : 385-6.
- Koh DH, Park DS, Shin WS, Song CH. The Effect of a Proprioceptive Exercise and Conservative Therapy for Functional Recovery of Subacute Ankle Sprain. The Korean Journal of Sports Medicine. 2008 ; 26(2) : 167-74.
- Na YM, Moon JH, Seong YJ, Lee HJ, Lee HS, Eo ES. The Effects of Ankle Disk Training in Functional Ankle Instability. The Korean Journal of Sports Medicine. 1999 ; 17(2) : 406-12.
- Hunt SP, Pini A, Evan G: Induction of c-fos-like protein in spinal cord neurons following sensory stimulation. Nature. 1987 ; 328 : 632-4. https://doi.org/10.1038/328632a0
- Besson JM, Chaouch A: Peripheral and spinal mechanisms of nociception. Physiol Rev. 1987 ; 67 : 67-186. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.1918.104.22.168
- Willis WD: The origin and destination of pathways involved in pain transmission. In: Textbook of Pain. 2nd ed. Edited by Wall PD, Melzack R: New York, Churchill Livingstone. 1989 ; 112-27.
- Tavares I, Lima D, Coimbra A: Neurons in the superficial dorsal horn of the rat spinal cord projecting to the medullary ventrolateral reticular formation express c-fos after noxious stimulation of the skin. Brain Res. 1993 ; 623 : 278-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-8993(93)91438-X
- Harris JA: Using c-fos as a neural marker of pain. Brain Res Bull. 1998 ; 45 : 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0361-9230(97)00277-3
- Koo ST, Park YI, Lim KS, Chung K, and Chung JM. Acupuncture analgesia in a new rat model of ankle sprain pain. Pain. 2002 ; 99 : 423-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3959(02)00164-1
- Lee IG, Ryu SH, Choi HS. Observation about curative powers of 62 examples of ankle sprain. Journal of Korean acupuncture & moxibustion medicine society. 1990 ; 7(1) : 177-85.
- Puffer JC. The sprained ankle. Clin Cornerstone. 2001 ; 3(5) : 38-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1098-3597(01)90068-7
- Kerkhoffs GM, Rowe BH, Assendelft WJ, Kelly KD, Struijs PA, van Dijk CN. Immobilisation for acute ankle sprain. A systematic review. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2001 ; 121(8) : 462-71. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004020100283
- Lee YK, Go GJ. Taping Master. Seoul : SPOL Co. 2015 ; 10-3.
- Hyun SS, Park KS. A Study on Effects of Balance Taping Therapy applied on the patients with Arthritis caused upon the Pain in Legs and Obstacle in Daily Activity. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2004 ; 16(4) : 585-96.
- Park RJ, Lee MH. A Case Study of Taping Therapy Effects on Range of Motion and Pain in Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. The journal of Korean Society of Physical Therapy. 2002 ; 14(4) : 331-41.
- Jeong HC, Lim NY. Effect of Taping Therapy on the ROM, Pain, and Discomfort of Adults with Ankle Pain. The Journal of Muscle and Joint Health. 2010 ; 17(2) : 124-31. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2010.17.2.124
- Yang BS, Kim JH, Jang JH, Ahn SH, Kim KS, Sohn IC. A Study of Antinociception of Electroacupuncture to SI6 on the Acute Ankle Sprained Rats. Korean Journal of Acupuncture. 2008 ; 25(3) : 81-96.
- Chapman V, Honore P, Buritova J, Besson JM. The contribution of NMDA receptor activation to spinal c-fos expression in a model of inflammatory pain. Br J Pharmacol. 1995 ; 116(1) : 1628-34. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1476-5381.1995.tb16383.x
- Park KS, Ryoo EN, Moon KS. Study on the utilization of complementary-alternative therapy in elder arthritics. Journal of Rheumatology Health. 2003 ; 10(2) : 142-55.