- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Mean-Variance Analysis for Optimal Operation and Supply Chain Coordination in a Green Supply Chain
- Yamaguchi, Shin (Graduate School of Electrical and Electronic Systems, College of Engineering, Osaka Prefecture University) ;
- Goto, Hirofumi (Course of Electrical and Electronic Systems, College of Engineering Osaka Prefecture University) ;
- Kusukawa, Etsuko (Graduate School of Electrical and Electronic Systems, College of Engineering Osaka Prefecture University)
- Received : 2016.03.22
- Accepted : 2017.01.06
- Published : 2017.03.30
It is urgently-needed to construct a green supply chain (GSC) from collection of used products through recycling of them to sales of products using the recycled parts. Besides, it is necessary to consider the uncertainty in product demand as a risk in a GSC. This study proposes the optimal operations for a GSC with a retailer and a manufacturer. A retailer pays an incentive for collection of used products from customers and sells a single type of products in a market. A manufacturer produces the products ordered by the retailer, using recyclable parts with acceptable quality and compensates the collection cost of used products as to the recycled parts. This paper discusses the following risk attitudes: risk-neutral attitude, risk-averse attitude, and risk-prone attitude. Using mean-variance analysis, the optimal decisions for product order quantity, collection incentive, and lower limit of quality level, in the decentralized GSC (DGSC) and the integrated GSC (IGSC) are made. DGSC optimizes the utility function of each member. IGSC does that of the whole system. The analysis numerically investigates how (i) risk attitude and (ii) quality of recyclable parts affect the optimal operations. Supply chain coordination between GSC members to shift IGSC from DGSC is discussed.
Green Supply Chain;Uncertainty in Product Demand;Risk Attitude;Mean-Variance Analysis;Supply Chain Coordination
Supported by : Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
- Aust, G. and Buscher, U. (2012), Vertical cooperative advertising and pricing decisions in a manufacturerretailer supply chain: A game-theoretic approach, European Journal of Operational Research, 223(2), 473-482. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2012.06.042
- Bazan, E., Jaber, M.Y., and Zanoni, S. (2016), A review of mathematical inventory models for reverse logistics and the future of its modeling: An environmental perspective, Applied Mathematical Modelling, 40(5-6), 4151-4178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apm.2015.11.027
- Berr, F. (2011), Stackelberg equilibria in managerial delegation games, European Journal of Operational Research, 212(2), 251-262. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2011.02.021
- Bhattacharya, R. and Kaur, A. (2015), Allocation of External returns of different quality grades to multiple stages of a closed loop supply chain, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 37, 692-702. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmsy.2015.01.004
- Cachon, G. P. and Netessine, S. (2004), Game theory in supply chain analysis. In: Simchi-Levi, D., Wu, S. D., and Shen, Z. J. (eds.), Handbook of Quantitative Supply Chain Analysis: Modeling in the e-Business Era, Kluwer, Boston, MA, 13-65.
- Cannella, S., Bruccoleri, M., and Framinan, J. M. (2016), Closed-loop supply chains: What reverse logistics factors influence performance?, International Journal of Production Economics, 175, 35-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2016.01.012
- Choi, T.-M., Li, D., and Yan, H. (2008a), Mean-variance analysis for the newsvendor problem, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man. And Cybernetics - Part A: System and Humans, 38, 1169-1180. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMCA.2008.2001057
- Choi, T.-M., Li, D., and Yan, H. (2008b), Mean-variance analysis of a single supplier and retailer supply chain under a return policy, European Journal of Operational Research, 184, 356-376. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2006.10.051
- Choi, T.-M., Li, D., Yan, H., and Chiu, C.-H. (2008c), Channel coordination in supply chain with agents having mean-variance objectives, Omega, 36, 565-576. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.omega.2006.12.003
- Chiu, C.-H. and Choi, T.-M. (2016), Supply chain risk analysis with mean-variance models: A technical review, Annals of Operations Research, 240, 489-507. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10479-013-1386-4
- Aras, N., Boyaci, T., and Verter, V. (2004), The effect of categorizing returned products in remanufacturing, IIE Transactions, 36, 319-331. https://doi.org/10.1080/07408170490279561
- De Giovanni, P., Reddy, P. V., and Zaccour, G. (2016), Incentive strategies for an optimal recovery program in a closed-loop supply chain, European Journal of Operational Research, 249(2), 605-617 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2015.09.021
- Esmaeili, M., Allameh, G., and Tajvidi, T. (2016), Using game theory for analysing pricing models in closedloop supply chain from short- and long-term perspectives, International Journal of Production Research, 54(7), 2152-2169. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2015.1115907
- Esmaeili, M. and Zeephongsekul, P. (2010), Seller-buyer models of supply chain management with an asymmetric information structure, International Journal of Production Economics, 123(1), 146-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2009.07.016
- Fleischmann, M., Bloemhof-Ruwaard, J. M., Dekker, R., Van der Laan, E., Van Nunen, J. A., and Van Wassenhove, L. N. (1997), Quantitative models for reverse logistics: A review, European Journal of Operational Research, 103, 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-2217(97)00230-0
- Ferguson, M., Guide, V. D., Koca, E., and Souza, G. C. (2009), The value of quality grading in remanufacturing, Production and Operations Management, 18, 300-314. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1937-5956.2009.01033.x
- Ghosh, D. and Shah, J. (2015), Supply chain analysis under green sensitive consumer demand and cost sharing contract, International Journal of Production Economics, 164, 319-329. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2014.11.005
- Govindan, K., Popiuc, M.N., and Diabat, A. (2013), Overview of coordination contracts within forward and reverse supply chains, Journal of Cleaner Production, 47, 319-334. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2013.02.001
- Govindan, K., Soleimani, H., and Kannan, D. (2014), Reverse logistics and closed-loop supply chain: A comprehensive review to explore the future, European Journal of Operational Research, 240(3), 603-626.
- Guide, Jr., V. D. R., Teunter, R. H., and Van Wassenhove, L. N. (2003), Matching demand and supply to maximize profits from remanufacturing, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 5, 303-316. https://doi.org/10.1287/msom.5.4.303.24883
- Guide, Jr. V. D. R. and Wassenhove. L. N. V. (2009), The evolution of closed loop supply chain research, Oper Res, 57(1), 10-18. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.1080.0628
- Gurtu, A., Searcy, C., and Jaber, M. Y. (2015), An analysis of keywords used in the literature on green supply chain management, Management Research Review, 38(2), 166-194. https://doi.org/10.1108/MRR-06-2013-0157
- Hong, X., Wang, Z., Wang, D., and Zhang, H. (2013), Decision models of closed-loop supply chain with remanufacturing under hybrid dual-channel collection, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 68(5-8), 1851-1865. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-013-4982-1
- Hong, X., Xu, L., Du, P., and Wang, W. (2015), Joint advertising, pricing and collection decisions in a closed-loop supply chain, International Journal of Production Economics, 167, 12-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2015.05.001
- Hu, Y., Guan, Y., and Liu, T. (2011), Lead-time hedging and coordination between manufacturing and sales departments using Nash and Stackelberg games, European Journal of Operational Research, 210(2), 231-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2010.09.001
- Jayant, A., Gupta, P., and Garg, S. K. (2012), Reverse logistics: Perspectives, empirical studies and research directions, International Journal of Industrial Engineering: Theory Applications and Practice, 19(10), 369-388.
- Kaya, O. (2010), Incentive and production decisions for remanufacturing operations, European Journal of Operational Research, 201(2), 442-453. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2009.03.007
- Kohli, R. and Park, H. (1989), A cooperative game theory model of quantity discounts, Management Science, 35(6), 693-707. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.35.6.693
- Law, H. S. (1980), The Newsboy Problem under Alternative Optimization Objectives, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 31, 525-535. https://doi.org/10.1057/jors.1980.96
- Li, X., Li, Y.-J., and Cai, X.-Q. (2009), Collection pricing decision in a remanufacturing system considering random yield and random demand, System Engineering-Theory & Practice, 29, 19-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1874-8651(10)60060-9
- Lee, C., Realff, M., and Ammons, J. (2011), Integration of channel decisions in a decentralized reverse production system with retailer collection under deterministic non-stationary demands, Advanced Engineering Informatics, 25(1), 88-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aei.2010.04.001
- Markowitz, H. M. (1959), Portfolio Selection: Efficient Diversification of Investment, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY.
- Mukhopadhyay, S. K. and Ma, H. (2009), Joint procurement and production decisions in remanufacturing under quality and demand uncertainty, International Journal of Production Economics, 120(1), 5-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2008.07.032
- Mukhopadhyay, S. K., Yue, X., and Zhu, X. (2011), A stackelberg model of pricing of complementary goods under information asymmetry, International Journal of Production Economics, 134(2), 424-433. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2009.11.015
- Nagarajan, M. and Sosic, G. (2008), Game-theoretic analysis of cooperation among supply chain agents: Review and extensions, European Journal of Operational Research, 187, 719-745. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2006.05.045
- Nash Jr., J. (1950), The bargaining problem, Econometrica, 18(2), 155-162. https://doi.org/10.2307/1907266
- Nash Jr., J. (1953), Two-person cooperative games, Econometrica, 21(1), 128-140. https://doi.org/10.2307/1906951
- Nenes, G., Panagiotidou, S., and Dekker, R. (2010), Inventory control policies for inspection and remanufacturing of returns: A case study, International Journal of Production Economics, 125(2), 300-312. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2010.02.008
- Radhi, M. and Zhang, G. (2016), Optimal configuration of remanufacturing supply network with return Quality Decision, International Journal of Production Research, 54(5), 1487-1502. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2015.1086034
- Schenkel, M., Caniels, M. C. J., Krikke, H., and Van Der Laan, E. (2015), Understanding value creation in closed loop supply chains - past findings and future directions, Journal of Manufacturing Systems, 37, 729-745. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmsy.2015.04.009
- Souza, G. C. (2013), Closed-loop supply chains: A critical review, and future research, Decision Sciences, 44(1), 7-38. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5915.2012.00394.x
- Stindt, D. and Sahamie, R. (2014), Review of research on closed loop supply chain management in the process industry, Flexible Services and Manufacturing Journal, 26(1-2), 268-293. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10696-012-9137-4
- Sun, H. and Da, Q. (2013), Research on differentiated pricing polices of closed loop supply chains with manufacturer collection mode considering power structure and risk aversion, Proceedings of 10th International Conference on Service Systems and Service Management (ICSSSM 2013), Hong Kong, China, 6602617, 381-385.
- Swami, S. and Shah, J. (2013), Channel coordination in green supply chain management, Journal of the Operational Research Society, 64 (3), 336-351. https://doi.org/10.1057/jors.2012.44
- Thiripura Sundari, P. R. and Vijayalakshmi, C. (2016), A comprehensive review of closed loop supply chain, Pure and Applied Mathematics, 12(4), 2785-2792.
- Tsay, A. A., Nahmias, S., and Agrawal, N. (1999), Modelling supply chain contracts: a review. In: Tayur, S., Ganeshan, R., and Magazine, M. (eds.), Quantitative Models for Supply Chain Management, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, MA, 299-336.
- Watanabe, T., Kusuawa, E., and Arizono, I. (2013), Optimal operation for green supply chain in consideration of collection incentive and quality for recycling of used products. Industrial Engineering & Management Systems, 12(4), 317-329. https://doi.org/10.7232/iems.2013.12.4.317
- Watanabe, T. and Kusukawa, E. (2014), Optimal operation for green supply chain considering demand information, collection incentive and quality of recycling parts, An International Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management Systems, 13, 129-147.
- Wu, J., Li, J., Wang, S., and Cheng, T. C. E. (2009), Mean-variance analysis of the newsvendor model with stockout cost, Omega, 37, 724-730. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.omega.2008.02.005
- Yan, N. N. and Sun, B. W. (2012), Optimal stackelberg strategies for closed-loop supply chain with thirdparty reverse logistics, Asia-Pacific Journal of Operational Research, 29, 1250026. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0217595912500261
- Yano, C. A. and Gilbert, S. M. (2004), Coordinated pricing and production/procurement decisions: A review. In: Chakravarty, A. K. and Eliashberg, J. (eds.), Managing Business Interfaces, Springer, New York, NY, 65-103.
- Zikopoulos, C. and Tagaras, G. (2007), Impact of uncertainty in the quality of returns on the profitability of a single-period refurbishing operation, European Journal of Operational Research, 182(1), 205-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2006.10.025
- Zikopoulos, C. and Tagaras, G. (2015), Reverse supply chains: Effects of collection network and returns classification on profitability, European Journal of Operational Research, 246, 435-449. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2015.04.051