- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Stochastic Programming for the Optimization of Transportation-Inventory Strategy
- Deyi, Mou (Institute of Mathematics for Applications, Civil Aviation University of China) ;
- Xiaoqian, Zhang (Institute of Mathematics for Applications, Civil Aviation University of China)
- Received : 2016.03.07
- Accepted : 2016.10.06
- Published : 2017.03.30
In today's competitive environment, supply chain management is a major concern for a company. Two of the key issues in supply chain management are transportation and inventory management. To achieve significant savings, companies should integrate these two issues instead of treating them separately. In this paper we develop a framework for modeling stochastic programming in a supply chain that is subject to demand uncertainty. With reasonable assumptions, two stochastic programming models are presented, respectively, including a single-period and a multi-period situations. Our assumptions allow us to capture the stochastic nature of the problem and translate it into a deterministic model. And then, based on the genetic algorithm and stochastic simulation, a solution method is developed to solve the model. Finally, the computational results are provided to demonstrate the effectiveness of our model and algorithm.
Transportation-Inventory;Joint Optimization;Random Demand;Stochastic Dynamic Programming;Hybrid Intelligent Algorithm
Supported by : Central Universities
- Agrawal, N. and Smith, S. A. (2013), Optimal inventory management for a retail chain with diverse store demands, European Journal of Operational Research, 225(3), 393-403. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2012.10.006
- Bertazzi, L. and Cherubini, S. S. M. (2013), An inventory-transportation system with stochastic demand, Computation Management Science,10, 1-20. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10287-012-0156-0
- Burns, L. D. (1985), Distribution strategies that minimize transportation and inventory costs, Operations Research, 33(3), 469-490. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.33.3.469
- Fu, C. (2007), Inventory and transportation integrated optimization for single period discrete stochastic demand, System Engineering, 25(1), 9-12.
- Harris, F. W. (1990), How many parts to make at once, Operations Research, 38(6), 947-950. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.38.6.947
- Hossein, A., Oded, B., and Shrutivandana, S. (2015), Optimal joint replenishment and transshipment policies in a multi-period inventory system with lost sales, Operations Research, 63(2), 342-350. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.2015.1358
- Hu, H., Xue, M., and Zhang, L. (2014), Study on the influence of supply chain partnership on sme' working capital from the perspective of supply chain finance, Economic Management, 8, 54-65.
- Jose, L. W., Andres, L. M., and German, R. (2013), Hybrid algorithm for route design on bus rapid transit systems, Transportation Science, 49(1), 66-84.
- Karakitsiou, A. and Migdalas, A. (2008), A decentralized coordination mechanism for integrated productiontransportation-inventory problem in the supply chain using Lagrangian relaxation, Operations Research, 8, 257-278. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12351-008-0016-4
- Lambert, D. M. (2016), The research of supply chain management under the background of cloud logistics, The International Journal of Logistics Management, 2(1), 1-14.
- Li, X. (2009), Study on Optimized Grey Neural Network Prediction Models, Wuhan University of Science and Technology.
- Liu, B., Zhao, R., and Wang, G. (2003), Uncertain Programming with Applications, Tsinghua University Press.
- Liu, L. (2009), Inventory and transportation integration in a distribution network. Journal of Highway and Transportation-Research and Development, 26(10), 144-148.
- Liu, X., Zhou, L., Geng, Y., and Chen, J. (2016), An analysis of logistics and supply chain finance research trend: A perspective from "topic-theory- method", Journal of Central University of Finance and Economics, 1(1), 82-91.
- Masoumeh, K., Zanjani, M., and Nourelfath, D. (2009), A multi-stage stochastic programming approach for production planning with uncertainty in the quality of raw materials and demand, International Journal of Production Research, 48(16), 4701-4723.
- Nan, Y. and Renyu, Z. (2014), Dynamic pricing and inventory management under inventory-dependent demand, Operations Research, 62(5), 1077-1094. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.2014.1306
- Panos, P., Berk, U., Mort W., and Quang, K. T. (2015), Importance sampling in stochastic programming: A markov chain monte carlo approach, Informs Journal on Computing, 27(2), 358-377. https://doi.org/10.1287/ijoc.2014.0630
- Pyke, D. F. (1993), Optimal base stock policies and truck capacity in a two echelon systems, Naval Research Logistics (NRL), 40(7), 879-903. https://doi.org/10.1002/1520-6750(199312)40:7<879::AID-NAV3220400703>3.0.CO;2-0
- Shu, J. (2005), Stochastic transportation-inventory network design problem, Operations Research, 53(1), 48-60. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.1040.0140
- Viswanathan, S. (1997), Integrating routing and inventory decisions in one-warehouse multiretailer multiproduct distribution systems, Management Science, 43(3), 294-312. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.43.3.294
- Ye, Z. and Du, W. (2003), Inventory and transportation planning in vendor-managed inventory system, Journal of Transportation Systems Engineering and Information Technology, 3(4), 82-88.
- Zhang, R. (2005), Price discount/transportation discount inventory-transportation optimization model, Journal of Dalian Maritime University, 31(3), 41-44.