- Volume 52 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Study on the Change of Physical Properties with Silica Contents in Solution Styrene-Butadiene Rubber (SSBR)/Silica Composites
- Kim, Tae Yeop (School of Energy, Materials, Chemical Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education) ;
- Won, Sung Yeon (School of Energy, Materials, Chemical Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education) ;
- Kang, Shin Hye (School of Energy, Materials, Chemical Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education) ;
- Cho, Ur Ryong (School of Energy, Materials, Chemical Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education)
- Received : 2017.02.02
- Accepted : 2017.02.20
- Published : 2017.03.31
The optimum mixing conditions of silica and silane containing rubber composites were evaluated by investigating the properties of rubber composites prepared with a silica composition of 10, 20, 40, 60, and 80 g, respectively. The crosslinking rate decreased with increasing silica content, with he promoters being adsorbed on the silica surface with in the rubber composite. As a result, the increase in crosslinking time resulted in the destruction of the silica structure. The increase of the bound rubber content due to the destruction of the silica structure inhibited the chain motion of the polymer molecules and reduced the cohesion of the silica itself. Finally, the increase of silica content showed the increase of hardness, tensile strength, and storage modulus of rubber composites.
- S. P. Lee, "Effect of microstructure of SSBR and silica contents on the properties of SSBR vulcanizates", Pusan National University, Thesis, 2012.
- World Health Organization, "Selected non-heterocyclic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons", Environ. Health Organ., 202, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland (1998).
- K. Sengloyluan, K. Sahakaro, W. K. Dierkes, and J. W. M. Noordermeer, "Silica-reinforced tire tread compounds compatibilized by using epoxidized natural rubber", Eur. Polym. J., 51, 69 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eurpolymj.2013.12.010
- N. Rattanasom, T. Saowapark, and C. Deeprasertkul, "Reinforcement of natural rubber with silica/carbon black hybrid filler", Polym. Test., 26, 369 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymertesting.2006.12.003
- F. Saeed, A. Ansarifar, R. J. Ellis, Y. Haile-Meskel, and M. S. Irfan, "Two advanced styrene-butadiene/polybutadiene rubber blends filled with a silanized silica nanofiller for potential use in passenger car tire tread compound", J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 123, 1518 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.34221
- Y. P. Wu, Q. S. Zhao, S. H. Zhao, and L. Q. Zhang, "The influence of in situ modification of silica on filler network and dynamic mechanical properties of silica-filled solution styrene-butadiene rubber", J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 105, 112 (2008).
- Y. Li, B. Han, L. Liu, F. Zhang, L. Zhang, S. Wen, Y. Lu, H. Yang, and J. Shen, "Surface modification of silica by two step method and properties of solution styrene butadiene rubber (SSBR) nanocomposites filled with modified silica", Comp. Sci. Tech., 88, 69 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2013.08.029
- S. H. Jang, W. S. Kim, Y. G. Kang, M. H. Han, and S. M. Chang, "Study on mixing condition of the rubber composite containing functionalized S-SBR, silica and silane; II. Effect of mixing temperature and time", Elast. Compos., 48, 103 (2013). https://doi.org/10.7473/EC.2013.48.2.103
- M. J. Wang, "Effect of polymer-filler and filler-filler interactions on dynamic properties of filled vulcanizates", Rubber Chem. Technol., 71, 520 (1998). https://doi.org/10.5254/1.3538492
- C. Kumnuantip and N. Sombatsompop, "Dynamic mechanical properties and swelling behavior of NR/reclaimed rubber blends", Mat. Lett., 57, 3167 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-577X(03)00019-3
- J. W. ten Brinke, S. C. Debnath, L. A. E. M. Reuvekamp, and J. W. M. Noordermeer, "Mechanistic aspects of the role of coupling agents in silica-rubber composites", Compos. Sci. Tech., 63, 1165 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-3538(03)00077-0