- Volume 42 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Difficulty in Closing Mouth in Patient with Disc Displacement: A Case Report
- Mun, Yo-Sun (Department of Oral Medicine, Wonkwang University Dental Hospital) ;
- Lim, Hyun-Dea (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry and Dental Research Institute, Wonkwang University) ;
- Lee, You-Mee (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry and Dental Research Institute, Wonkwang University) ;
- Kang, Jin-Kyu (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry and Dental Research Institute, Wonkwang University) ;
- Shim, YoungJoo (Department of Oral Medicine, School of Dentistry and Dental Research Institute, Wonkwang University)
- Received : 2017.03.10
- Accepted : 2017.03.21
- Published : 2017.03.30
Clinicians are familiar with limitation of opening mouth caused by temporomandibular disorders. Sometimes, patients also complain of difficulty in closing mouth. Difficulty in closing mouth can be caused by anterior, posterior disc displacement, and subluxation of temporomandibular joint (TMJ). In this report, we presented a patient who had a difficulty in both opening and closing mouth. The patient complained of TMJ noises and intermittent limitation of opening mouth, and inability to get teeth back into maximal intercuspal position. Magnetic resonance images revealed that the left TMJ had an anterior disc displacement with relative posterior disc displacement. We reviewed the possible causes, signs and symptoms, and treatment for difficulty in closing mouth with related literatures.
- Okeson JP. Management of temporomandibular disorders and occlusion. 7th ed. St. Louis: Elsevier; 2012. pp. 136-143, 246-248, 376-384.
- Tasaki MM, Westesson PL, Isberg AM, Ren YF, Tallents RH. Classification and prevalence of temporomandibular joint disk displacement in patients and symptom-free volunteers. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1996;109:249-262. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-5406(96)70148-8
- Blankestijn J, Boering G. Posterior dislocation of the temporomandibular disc. Int J Oral Surg 1985;14:437-443. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-9785(85)80076-4
- Gallagher DM. Posterior dislocation of the temporomandibular joint meniscus: report of three cases. J Am Dent Assoc 1986;113: 411-415. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1986.0209
- Huddleston Slater JJ, Lobbezoo F, Hofman N, Naeije M. Case report of a posterior disc displacement without and with reduction. J Orofac Pain 2005;19:337-342.
- Chossegros C, Cheynet F, Guyot L, Bellot-Samson V, Blanc JL. Posterior disk displacement of the TMJ: MRI evidence in two cases. Cranio 2001;19:289-293. https://doi.org/10.1080/08869634.2001.11746180
- Kim J, Kim MJ, Kho HS. Posterior disc displacement in the temporomandibular joint. J Oral Med Pain 2016;41:137-143. https://doi.org/10.14476/jomp.2016.41.3.137
- Westesson PL, Larheim TA, Tanaka H. Posterior disc displacement in the temporomandibular joint. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1998;56:1266-1273. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-2391(98)90606-1
- Okochi K, Ida M, Honda E, Kobayashi K, Kurabayashi T. MRI and clinical findings of posterior disk displacement in the temporomandibular joint. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2008;105:644-648. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2007.07.034
- Chiba M, Watanabe N, Echigo S. Longitudinal MRI follow-up of non-reducible posterior disc displacement accompanied by bone marrow oedema in the mandibular condyle. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 2007;36:304-307. https://doi.org/10.1259/dmfr/64232609
- Stegenga B, de Bont LG, Boering G, van Willigen JD. Tissue responses to degenerative changes in the temporomandibular joint: a review. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1991;49:1079-1088. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-2391(91)90143-A
- Tecco S, Festa F, Salini V, Epifania E, D'Attilio M. Treatment of joint pain and joint noises associated with a recent TMJ internal derangement: a comparison of an anterior repositioning splint, a full-arch maxillary stabilization splint, and an untreated control group. Cranio 2004;22:209-219. https://doi.org/10.1179/crn.2004.026