- Volume 30 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Mineralogical and Geochemical Characteristics of Soils of Barton Peninsula, King George Island, South Shetland Islands, West Antarctica
서남극 사우스셰틀랜드 킹조지섬 바톤반도 육상 토양의 광물학적, 지화학적 특성
- Jung, Jaewoo (Department of Earth System Sciences, Yonsei University) ;
- Koo, Taehee (Department of Earth System Sciences, Yonsei University) ;
- Yang, Kiho (Department of Earth System Sciences, Yonsei University) ;
- Kim, Jinwook (Department of Earth System Sciences, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2017.03.02
- Accepted : 2017.03.23
- Published : 2017.03.31
Surface soils on Barton Peninsula, King George Island, West Antarctica were investigated to acquire the mineralogical and geochemical data of soil in Antarctica. Multiline of techniques for example, X-ray diffraction (XRD), transmission electron microscopy (TEM)-electron energy loss spectroscopy (EELS), and wet chemistry analysis were performed to measure the composition of clay minerals, Fe-oxidation states, cation exchange capacity, and total cation concentration. Various minerals in sediments such as smectite, illite, chlorite, kaolinite, quartz and plagioclase were identified by XRD. Fe-oxidation states of bulk soils showed 20-40% of Fe(II) which would be ascribed to the reduction of Fe in clays as well as Fe-bearing minerals. Moreover, redox states of Fe in smectite structure was a ~57% of Fe(III) consistent to the values for the bulk soils. The cation exchange capacity of bulk soils ranged from 100 to 300 meq/kg and differences were not significantly measured for the sampling locations. Total cations (Mg, K, Na, Al, Fe) of bulk soils varies, contrast to the heavy metals (Co, Ni, Cu, Zn, Mn). These results suggested that composition of bed rocks influenced the distribution of elements in soil environments and soils containing clay compositions may went through the bio/geochemical alteration.
Grant : 서남극 빙붕 변화 관측 시스템 구축 및 제4기 해빙사(deglaciation history)복원기술 개발
Supported by : 극지연구소
- Chang, S.K. (1986) Terra australis incognita; Antarctica: Its natural environment, petroleum, and mineral resources. Journal of Korean Earth Science Society, 7, 117-128.
- Chang, S.K., Lee, J.I., Choe, M.Y., and Hur, S.D. (2003) Geology around the King Sejong Station, King George Island off the Antarctic Peninsula. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, 39, 271-286.
- Choi, T., Lee, B.Y., Kim, S.J., Park, Y.M., and Yoon. Y.J. (2006) The characteristics of radiation, Temperate and wind direction around King Sejong Station, Antarctica. Journal of Korean Geophyical Society, 9, 397-408.
- Choi, I.K., Park, Y.J., Seo, D.C., Kang, S.W., Jeon, W.T., Kang, U.G., Sung, H.H., Hur, T.Y., Heo, J.S., and Cho, J.S. (2011) Physico-chemical Characteristics of Soil in the Vicinity of King Sejong Station, King George Island, Antarctica. Korean Journal of Soil Science and Fertilizer, 44, 709-716. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2011.44.5.709
- Ehrmann, W.U., Melles, M., Kuhn, G., and Grobe, H. (1992) Significance of c1ay mineral assemblages in the Antarctic Ocean. Marine Geology, 107, 249-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-3227(92)90075-S
- Jackson, M.L. (1956) Soil Chemical Analysis - Advanced Course. UW-Madison Libraries Parallel Press, Wisconsin.
- Jeong, G.Y. and Yoon, H.I. (2001) The origin of clay minerals in soils of King George Island, South Shetland Islands, West Antarctica and its implication to the clay mineral compositions of marine Sediments. Journal of Sedimentary Research, 71, 833-842. https://doi.org/10.1306/2DC4096C-0E47-11D7-8643000102C1865D
- Jeong, G.Y. and Yoon, H.I., (2002) Mineralogical characteristics and origins of smectite in the marine sediments around South Shetland Islands, Antarctica. Journal of Mineral Society of Korea, 15, 22-32.
- Jung, W.S,, Joo, H.M., Hong, S.S., Kang, J.S., Choi, H.G., and Kang, S.H. (2006) Morphology and molecular data for Antarctic cryophilic microalga. Porosira pseudodenticulata, Algae, 21, 169-174.
- Kim, Y.D. and Kwon. M.S. (1996) Historical development of banning the exploitation of antarctic petroleum resources and national policy. Korea Maritime Institute, 11, 375-401.
- Lee, Y.I., Lim, H.S., and Yoon, H.I. (2004) Geochemistry of soils of King George Island, South Shetland Islands, West Antarctica: Implications for pedogenesis in cold polar regions. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 68, 4319-4333. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gca.2004.01.020
- Lim, H.S., Han, M.J., Seo, D.C., Kim, J.H., Lee, J.I., Park, H., Hur, J.S., Cheong, Y.H., Heo, J.S., and Cho. J.S. (2009) Heavy metal concentrations in the fruticose lichen Usnea aurantiacoatra from King George Island, South Shetland Islands, West Antarctica. Journal of the Korean Society for Applied Biological Chemistry, 52, 503-508. https://doi.org/10.3839/jksabc.2009.086
- Radok, U. (1985) The Antarctic ice. Scientific American, 253, 82-89.
- Shin, Y.N., Yoon, H.I., Kim, Y.D., and Kang, C.Y. (2001) Diatom assemblages and its paleoceanography of the Holocene glaciomarine sediments from the Western Antarctic Peninsula shelf, Antarctica. Journal of Korean Society of Oceanography, 6, 152-163.
- Stucki, J.W. (1981) The quantitative assay of minerals for Fe2+ and Fe3+ using 1,10-phenanthroline: II. A photochemical method 1.Soil Science Society of America Journal, 45, 638-641. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1981.03615995004500030040x
- Suh, J.K., Hwang, E., and Min. H.S. (2008) Measurement of heavy metals in antarctic soil at the King Sejong Station: application of isotope dilution inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry. Analytical Science and Technology, 21(5), 364-374.
- van Aken, P. A., Liebscher, B., and Styrsa, V. J. (1998) Quantitative determination of iron oxidation states in minerals using Fe L 2, 3-edge electron energy-loss near-edge structure spectroscopy. Physics and Chemistry of Minerals, 25, 323-327. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002690050122
- Yang, K.H. and Kim, J.W. (2016) Electron Energy Loss Spectroscopy (EELS) application to mineral formation. Journal of the Mineral Society of Korea, 29, 73-78. https://doi.org/10.9727/jmsk.2016.29.2.73
- Yoon, H.I., Han, M.W., Park, B.K., Oh, J.K., and Chang, S.K. (1997) Glaciomarine sedimentation and palaeo-glacial setting of Maxwell Bay and its tributary embayment, Marian Cove, South Shetland Tslands, West Antarctica. Marine Geology, 140, 265-282. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-3227(97)00028-5