- Volume 23 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Influences of Burnout, Emotional labor, and Positive Psychological Capital on Job Satisfaction of Nurses
간호사의 소진, 감정노동 및 긍정심리자본이 직무만족에 미치는 영향
- Jun, Soo Young (Graduate School of Kyungpook National University.Kangdong Hospital)
- 전수영 (경북대학교 대학원.강동병원)
- Received : 2017.02.12
- Accepted : 2017.03.15
- Published : 2017.03.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to understand job satisfaction, burnout, emotional labor and positive psychological capital and to identify the factors that influence on job satisfaction in the hospital nurses. Methods: This study was conducted through a survey of 274 nurses at two hospitals in the D city, Korea. Data were collected in September 7 to September 23, 2016 using structured questionnaires which included general characteristics, burnout, job satisfaction, positive psychological capital and emotional labor. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, ANOVA, and stepwise multiple regression test with SPSS/WIN 22.0. Results: The score for job satisfaction was 3.03 out of 5. Job satisfaction was significantly correlated with burnout, emotional labor and positive psychological capital. The factors influencing job satisfaction were age, burnout, emotional labor and positive psychological capital. The predict variables accounted for 37.5% of job satisfaction. Conclusion: The results of this study show that factors influencing job satisfaction are burnout, emotional labor and positive psychological capital. Therefore, it is necessary to develop intervention programs to improve job satisfaction of nurses for emotional labor reduction and positive psychological capital improvement.
- Park BH, Seo SK, Lee TJ. Structure of nurse labor market and department of hospital nursing staffing levels. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2013;43(1):39-49. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.1.39 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.1.39
- Chung BY, Han JY. Influential factors related to job satisfaction in hospital in hospice nurses: focus on emotional labor and burnout. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2014;20(3):322-331. http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.322 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.322
- Yang, YK. A study on burnout, emotional labor, and self-efficacy in nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2011;17(4):423-431. http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.423 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.423
- Poghosyan L, Aiken LH, Sloane DM. Factor structure of the Maslach burnout inventory: An analysis of data from large scale cross-sectional surveys of nurses from eight countries. International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2009;46(7):894-902. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2009.03.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2009.03.004
- Kang JH, Kim CW. Evaluating applicability of Maslach Burnout Inventory among university hospital nurses. Korean Journal Adult Nursing. 2012;24(1):31-37. http://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.1.31 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.1.31
- June KJ, Byun SY. Nurse’s burnout research throughout the 10 years in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2009;15(3):305-313.
- Ko JY, Park SK, Lee MH. Factors affecting burnout among clinical nurses according to positive psychological capital. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2013;19(2): 304-314. http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.126.96.36.1997 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.2.304
- Kim JY, Kim MS. The effects of positive psychological capital on employee job satisfaction and affective commitment. Korea Association of Business Education. 2011;26(3):117-148.
- Kim S, Wang MA. A study on emotional labor, positive resources and job burnout in clinical Nurses. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 2015;16(2):1273-1283. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1273 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1273
- Stamps PL, Piedmont EB, Slavitt DB, Haase AM. Measurement of work satisfaction among health professionals. Medical Care. 1978;16(4):337-352. http://www.jstor.org/stable/3763453 https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-197804000-00006
- Han CB, Mun HJ. A study on role conception and job satisfaction of clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society. 1996;2(1):115-124.
- Maslach C, Jackson SE. The measurement of experienced burnout. Journal of Organizational Behavior. 1981;2(2):99-113. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030020205
- Yoon GS, Kim SY. Influences of job stress and burnout on turnover intention of nurses. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing Adminstration. 2010;16(4):507-516. http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.507 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.507
- Morris JA, Feldman DC. The dimensions, antecedents, and consequences of emotional labor. Academy of Management Review. 1996;21(4):986-1010. http://dx.doi.org/10.5465/amr.1996.9704071861 https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1996.9704071861
- Kim MJ. Effects of the hotel employee's emotional labor upon the job related attitudes. Journal of Tourism. 1998;21(2):129-141.
- Luthans F, Avolio BJ, Avey JB, Norman SM. Positive psychological capital: Measurement and relationship with performance and satisfaction. Personal Psychology. 2007;60(3):541-572. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2007.00083.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2007.00083.x
- Lee DS, Choi YD. A study on antecedents and consequences of positive psychological capital in organizations. Korean Management Review. 2010;39(1):1-28.
- Hwang JH. Nurses' working career, level of emotional labor, and job satisfaction [master's thesis]. Seoul: Sunshin Woman's University graduate school; 2016. p. 1-65.
- Kim SW. The influence of emotional labor on job satisfaction in university hospital nurses: A case study at K university hospital [master's thesis]. Seoul: Kyung Hee University; 2016. p. 1-103.
- Choi HY. Perfectionism tendency, social support, and burnout among counselors [master's thesis]. Seoul: The Catholic University of Korea; 2002. p. 1-96.
- Min HY. The relationship between depression, colleagues/supervisor's emotional support levels and burnout experienced by teachers in kindergartens and childcare centers. Journal of Korean Association of Child Studies. 2010;31(4):1-14.
- Song MS. Influence of emotional labor on job involvement, job satisfaction, and turnover intention of clinical nurses. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 2014;15 (6):3741-3750. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.6.3741 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.6.3741
- Lee SM, Park JY, Lee KM, Shin EH, Park JM, Nam HA, et al. The convergence effects of commitment of organization and positive psychological capital in nurse on burnout. Journal of Digital Convergence. 2016;14(6):335-345. http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/IDC.2016.14.6.335 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.6.335
- Kim JS, Jeong SY, Kim SH, Kim JO. Predictors of emotional labor and job stress on burnout of nurses in long-term care hospitals. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing. 2014;16(2): 130-140. http://dx.doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2014.16.2.130 https://doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2014.16.2.130
- Park SK, Seong OH, Lee HR. The effect of hotel employees' psychological capital on job satisfaction-focused on the mediating effect of organizational commitment and organizational citizenship behavior. Korea Journal of Business Adminstration. 2010;23(5):2565-2584.
- Kim MR, Seomun GA. Relationships among burnout, job satisfaction, organizational commitment and turnover intention to resign in hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Occupation Health Nursing. 2013;22(2):93-101. http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.2.93 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.2.93
- Park MY, Chang YC, Lee KH. A study on the effects of positive psychological capital of employee engagement and career satisfaction: Focused on the employee organization of hospital in Seoul area by multi-group analysis. Korean Journal of Business Adminstration. 2015;28(12):3095-3130. http://dx.doi.org/10.18032/kaaba.2015.28.12.3095 https://doi.org/10.18032/kaaba.2015.28.12.3095
- Lee MY, Kim KH. Influence of head nurses' transformational leadership on staff nurse's psychological well-being, stress and somatization-focused on the mediating effect of positive psychological capital. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2012;18(2):166-175. http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.2.166 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.2.166
- Kim SH, Han YS. A meta-analysis of the variables related to the emotional labor of nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2015;21(3):263-276. http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.3.263 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.3.263
- Luthans F, Avey JB, Avolio BJ, Peterson SJ. The development and resulting performance impact of positive psychological capital. Human Resource Development Quarterly. 2010;21(1): 41-67. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/hrdq.20034 https://doi.org/10.1002/hrdq.20034
- The influence of nursing care integration services on nurses’ work satisfaction and quality of nursing care pp.09660429, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jonm.12629