- Volume 66 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Diamond Schottky Barrier Diodes With Field Plate
필드 플레이트가 설계된 다이아몬드 쇼트키 장벽 다이오드
- Chang, Hae Nyung (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Myongji University) ;
- Kang, Dong-Won (Dept. of Solar & Energy Engineering, Cheongju University) ;
- Ha, Min-Woo (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Myongji University)
- Received : 2017.02.19
- Accepted : 2017.03.23
- Published : 2017.04.01
Power semiconductor devices required the low on-resistance and high breakdown voltage. Wide band-gap materials opened a new technology of the power devices which promised a thin drift layer at an identical breakdown voltage. The diamond had the wide band-gap of 5.5 eV which induced the low power loss, high breakdown capability, low intrinsic carrier generation, and high operation temperature. We investigated the p-type pseudo-vertical diamond Schottky barrier diodes using a numerical simulation. The impact ionization rate was material to calculating the breakdown voltage. We revised the impact ionization rate of the diamond for adjusting the parallel-plane breakdown field at 10 MV/cm. Effects of the field plate on the breakdown voltage was also analyzed. A conventional diamond Schottky barrier diode without field plate exhibited the high forward current of 0.52 A/mm and low on-resistance of
Supported by : 명지대학교
- B. J. Baliga, "Power semiconductor devices", PWS publishing company, 1996.
- B. J. Baliga, "The future of power semiconductor device technology", Proc. IEEE, Vol. 89. No. 6, June, pp. 822-832, June 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/5.931471
- J. W. Palmour et al., "Silicon carbide power MOSFETs: breakthrough performance from 900 V up to 15 kV", Proc. Int. Symp. Power Semiconductor Devices & ICs, pp. 79-82, June 2014.
- K. Choi et al., KIEE Summer Conf., pp. 1137-1138, July 2016.
Y. J. Jo, J. H. Moon, O. Seok, W. Bahng, T. J. Park, and M.-W. Ha, "Electrical characteristics of
$SiO_2$/4H-SiC metal-oxide-semiconductor capacitors with lowtemperature atomic layer deposited $SiO_2$", J. Semicond. Technol. Sci., April 2017.
- M.-W. Ha et al., "A dual gate AlGaN/GaN high electron mobility transistor with high breakdown voltages", Trans. KIEE, Vol. 54C, No. 1, pp. 18-22, Jan. 2005.
M. Kim, O. Seok, M.-K. Han, and M.-W. Ha, "Highvoltage AlGaN/GaN high-electron-mobility transistors using thermal oxidation for
$NiO_x$passivation", J. Electr. Eng. Technology., Vol. 8, No. 5, pp. 1157-1162, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.5.1157
- M. Ishida, T. Ueda, T. Tanaka, and D. Ueda, "GaN on Si technologies for power switching devices", IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 60, No. 10, pp. 3053-3059, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TED.2013.2268577
- J. Isberg, et al., "High carrier mobility in single-crystal plasma-deposited diamond", Science, Vol. 297, pp. 1670-1672, Sep. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1074374
- Y. Gurbuz et al., "Diamond semiconductor technology for RF device applications", Solid-State Electron., Vol. 49. pp. 1055-1070, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sse.2005.04.005
- A. Aleksov et al., "Diamond-based electronics for RF applications", Diamond Relat. Mater., Vol. 13, pp. 233-240, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diamond.2003.11.090
- A. Denisenko and E. Kohn, "Diamond power devices. Concepts and limits", Diamond Relat. Mater., Vol. 14, pp. 491-498, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diamond.2004.12.043
- C. J. H. Wort and R. S. Balmer, "Diamond as an electronic material", Materials today, Vol. 11, No. 1-2, pp. 22-28, Jan. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1369-7021(07)70349-8
- K. Ikeda et al., "Fabrication of a field plate structure for diamond Schottky barrier diodes", Diamond Relat. Mater., Vol. 18, pp. 292-295, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diamond.2008.10.021
- R. Kumaresan et al., "Device processing, fabrication and analysis of diamond pseudo-vertical Schottky barrier diodes with low leak current and high blocking voltage", Diamond Relat. Mater., Vol. 18, pp. 299-302, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diamond.2008.10.055
- H. Umezawa, M. Nagase, Y. Kato, and S. Shikata, "High temperature application of diamond power device", Diamond Relat. Mater., Vol. 24, pp. 201-205, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diamond.2012.01.011
- G. Chicot, D. Eon, and N. Rouger, "Optimal drift region for diamond power devices", Diamond Relat. Mater., Vol. 14, pp. 68-73, 2016.
- H. N. Chang, et al., "Next-generation high-power diamond Schottky barrier diode", KIEE Summer Conf., pp. 1130-1131, July 2016.
- Atlas version 5.20.2.R, Silvaco.
- F. Conti and M. Conti, "Surface breakdown in silicon planar diodes equipped with field plate", Solid-State Electron., Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 93-105, Jan. 1972. https://doi.org/10.1016/0038-1101(72)90070-6
- H. B. Michaelson, "The work function of the elements and its periodicity", J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 48, No. 11, pp. 4729-4733, Nov. 1977. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.323539
- D. K. Schroder, "Semiconductor material and device characterization", John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1998.
- S. Selberherr, "Analysis and simulation of semiconductor devices", Springer-Verlag, Wien, 1984.
- J. Isberg, M. Gabrysch, A. Tajani, and D. J. Twitchen, "High-field electrical transport in single crystal CVD diamond diodes", Adv. Sci. Technol., Vol. 48, pp. 73-76, 2006. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AST.48.73
- R. J. Trew, J.-B. Yan, and P. M. Mock, "The potential of diamond and SiC electronic devices for microwave and millimeter-wave power applications", Proc. IEEE, Vol. 79, No. 5, pp. 598-620, May 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/5.90128
- A. Hiraiwa and H. Kawarada, "Blocking characteristics of diamond junctions with a punch-through design", J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 117, pp. 124503, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4916240
- S. J. Rashid et al., "Numerical parameterization of chemical-vapor-deposited(CVD) single-crystal diamond for device simulation and analysis", IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 55, No. 10, pp. 2744-2756, Oct. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TED.2008.2003225
- D.-W. Kang, H. N. Chang, and M.-W. Ha, "Numerical simulation of high-voltage diamond Schottky barrier diodes", Proc. Microprocesses Nanotechnol. Conf., 10P-7-18, Nov. 2016.