- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Trends in energy intake among Korean adults, 1998-2015: Results from the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey
- Yun, Sungha (Division of Health and Nutrition Survey, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) ;
- Kim, Hyun Ja (Department of Food and Nutrition, Gangneung-Wonju National University) ;
- Oh, Kyungwon (Division of Health and Nutrition Survey, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Received : 2016.07.18
- Accepted : 2016.12.15
- Published : 2017.04.01
BACKGROUND/OBJECTIVES: Assessing changes in energy intake and dietary sources is important to understand trends in the prevalence of obesity. Thus, we examined trends in energy intake and its nutrient and food sources in Korean adults from 1998 through 2015. SUBJECTS/METHODS: This study included 70,769 subjects aged
- World Health Organization. Global strategy on diet, physical activity and health [Internet]. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2004 [cited 2016 November 2]. Available from: http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/WHA57/A57_9-en.pdf?ua=1.
- Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (US). GBD profile: South Korea [Internet]. Seattle (WA): Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation; [cited 2016 November 2]. Available from: http://www.healthdata.org/sites/default/files/files/country_profiles/GBD/ihme_gbd_country_report_south_korea.pdf.
- Popkin BM, Adair LS, Ng SW. Global nutrition transition and the pandemic of obesity in developing countries. Nutr Rev 2012;70:3-21. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-4887.2011.00456.x
- Ford ES, Dietz WH. Trends in energy intake among adults in the United States: findings from NHANES. Am J Clin Nutr 2013;97:848-53. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.112.052662
- Whitton C, Nicholson SK, Roberts C, Prynne CJ, Pot GK, Olson A, Fitt E, Cole D, Teucher B, Bates B, Henderson H, Pigott S, Deverill C, Swan G, Stephen AM. National Diet and Nutrition Survey: UK food consumption and nutrient intakes from the first year of the rolling programme and comparisons with previous surveys. Br J Nutr 2011;106:1899-914. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114511002340
- Tada N, Maruyama C, Koba S, Tanaka H, Birou S, Teramoto T, Sasaki J. Japanese dietary lifestyle and cardiovascular disease. J Atheroscler Thromb 2011;18:723-34. https://doi.org/10.5551/jat.8193
- Zhai F, Wang H, Du S, He Y, Wang Z, Ge K, Popkin BM. Lifespan nutrition and changing socio-economic conditions in China. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2007;16 Suppl 1:374-82.
- Flood VM, Burlutsky G, Webb KL, Wang JJ, Smith WT, Mitchell P. Food and nutrient consumption trends in older Australians: a 10-year cohort study. Eur J Clin Nutr 2010;64:603-13. https://doi.org/10.1038/ejcn.2010.34
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Korea Health Statistics 2015: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES VI-3). Sejong: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2016.
- Swinburn BA, Caterson I, Seidell JC, James WP. Diet, nutrition and the prevention of excess weight gain and obesity. Public Health Nutr 2004;7:123-46.
- Kim S, Moon S, Popkin BM. The nutrition transition in South Korea. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;71:44-53. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/71.1.44
- Sook M. Food consumption trends and nutrition transition in Korea. Malays J Nutr 2003;9:7-17.
- Kweon S, Kim Y, Jang MJ, Kim Y, Kim K, Choi S, Chun C, Khang YH, Oh K. Data resource profile: the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES). Int J Epidemiol 2014;43:69-77. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyt228
- World Health Organization Western Pacific Region; International Association for the Study of Obesity; International Obesity Task Force. The Asia-Pacific Perspective: Redefining Obesity and Its Treatment. Sydney: Health Communications Australia Pty Limited; 2000. p.18.
- Rural Development Administration, National Rural Living Science Institute (KR). Food Composition Table. 5th rev. ed. Suwon: Rural Development Administration, National Rural Living Science Institute; 1996.
- Rural Development Administration, National Rural Living Science Institute (KR). Food Composition Table. 6th rev. ed. Suwon: Rural Development Administration, National Rural Living Science Institute; 2001.
- Rural Development Administration, Rural Resource Development Institute (KR). Food Composition Table. 7th rev. ed. Suwon: Rural Development Administration, Rural Resource Development Institute; 2006.
- Rural Development Administration, National Institute of Agriculatural Sciences (KR). Standard Food Composition Table. 8th rev.ed. Suwon: Rural development Administration, National Institute of Agriculatural Sciences; 2012.
- The Korean Nutrition Society. Recommended Dietary Allowances for Koreans. 6th rev. ed. Seoul: The Korean Nutrition Society; 1995.
- The Korean Nutrition Society. Recommended Dietary Allowances for Koreans. 7th rev. ed. Seoul: The Korean Nutrition Society; 2000.
- The Korean Nutrition Society. Dietary Reference Intakes for Koreans. Seoul: Korean Nutrition Society; 2005.
- The Korean Nutrition Society. Dietary Reference Intakes for Koreans. 1st rev. ed. Seoul: The Korean Nutrition Society; 2010.
- Kim HJ, Kim Y, Cho Y, Jun B, Oh KW. Trends in the prevalence of major cardiovascular disease risk factors among Korean adults: results from the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1998-2012. Int J Cardiol 2014;174:64-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2014.03.163
- Rhee SY, Park SW, Kim DJ, Woo J. Gender disparity in the secular trends for obesity prevalence in Korea: analyses based on the KNHANES 1998-2009. Korean J Intern Med 2013;28:29-34. https://doi.org/10.3904/kjim.2013.28.1.29
- Lim H, Kim SY, Wang Y, Lee SJ, Oh K, Sohn CY, Moon YM, Jee SH. Preservation of a traditional Korean dietary pattern and emergence of a fruit and dairy dietary pattern among adults in South Korea: secular transitions in dietary patterns of a prospective study from 1998 to 2010. Nutr Res 2014;34:760-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nutres.2014.08.002
- Jang HB, Lee HY, Han YH, Song J, Kim KN, Hyun T. Changes in food and nutrient intakes of college students between 1999 and 2009. Korean J Community Nutr 2011;16:324-36. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2011.16.3.324
- Statistics Korea. Korean social indicator: 2012 [Internet]. Daejeon: Statistics Korea; 2013 [cited 2015 July 27]. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/1/index.board?bmode=read&aSeq=306733.
- Korea Food & Drug Administration. Food & Drug Statistical Yearbook: 2012 [Internet]. Cheongwon: Korea Food & Drug Administration; 2012 [cited 2015 July 27]. Available from: http://rndmoa.mfds.go.kr:9010/stat/cop/bbs/selectBoardArticle.do?bbsId=BBSMSTR_000000000001&nttId=47&bbsTyCode=BBST01&bbsAttrbCode=BBSA03&authFlag=&pageIndex=1.
- Statistics Korea. Korean social trends: 2012 [Internet]. Daejeon: Statistics Korea; 2013 [cited 2015 July 27]. Available from: http://www.kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/1/index.board?bmode=read&aSeq=270115.
- Park JH, Jang JB. An analysis of consumption structure in the 'eating out of home' sector [Internet]. Seoul: Korea Rural Economic Institute; 2012 [cited 2015 July 27]. Available from: http://www.krei.re.kr/web/www/23?p_p_id=EXT_BBS&p_p_lifecycle=0&p_p_state=normal&p_p_mode=view&_EXT_BBS_struts_action=%2Fext%2Fbbs%2Fview_message&_EXT_BBS_messageId=200169.
- Kwon YS, Ju SY. Trends in nutrient intakes and consumption while eating-out among Korean adults based on Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (1998-2012) data. Nutr Res Pract 2014;8:670-8. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2014.8.6.670
- Gombi-Vaca MF, Sichieri R, Verly-Jr E. Caloric compensation for sugar-sweetened beverages in meals: a population-based study in Brazil. Appetite 2016;98:67-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2015.12.014
- Park YS, Han JL, Kim SK, Kim C. Caloric intake to fat or alcoholic drink intake in middle-aged men is highly co-related than those in young men. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 2004;33:679-86. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.4.679
- Association of peptic ulcer disease with obesity, nutritional components, and blood parameters in the Korean population vol.12, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0183777
- Development of processed food database using Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey data vol.50, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4163/jnh.2017.50.5.504
- Trends in the prevalence of metabolic syndrome and its components in South Korea: Findings from the Korean National Health Insurance Service Database (2009–2013) vol.13, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0194490
- The trends in total energy, macronutrients and sodium intake among Japanese: findings from the 1995–2016 National Health and Nutrition Survey vol.120, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114518001162
- High-Carbohydrate Diets and Food Patterns and Their Associations with Metabolic Disease in the Korean Population vol.59, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3349/ymj.2018.59.7.834
- An association between diet quality index for Koreans (DQI-K) and total mortality in Health Examinees Gem (HEXA-G) study vol.12, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2018.12.3.258
- Improvement of Health Indicators after Participating in Health Promotion Program of General Hospital Staff: A Pilot Study vol.18, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.15384/kjhp.2018.18.1.15
- Blood Sugar Control and Low-Carbohydrate High-Fat Diet vol.19, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4093/jkd.2018.19.4.237
- Maintenance of body weight is an important determinant for the risk of ischemic stroke: A nationwide population-based cohort study vol.14, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0210153