- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Inhibitory Effects of Daeyeoungjeon on the Injury of Articular Cartilage Induced by Monosodium Iodoacetate in Rats
대영전의 Monosodium Iodoacetate 유발 관절연골손상 억제 효과
- Received : 2017.03.22
- Accepted : 2017.04.10
- Published : 2017.04.30
Objectives This study was aimed to evaluate the effects of Daeyoungjeon (hereinafter referred to DYJ) treatment on the injury of articular cartilage induced by monosodium iodoacetate in rats. Methods Twenty-four male rats were divided into normal, osteoarthritic control and DYJ group. Rats of normal group were injected with 0.1 ml physiological saline, rats of control and DYJ groups were injected with 0.1 ml monosodium iodoacetate (3 mg/ml) into each left and right knee joint cavities. Rats of DYJ group were administrated extracts of DYJ during 60 days per orally. At 60 days after treatment, gross lesions, area and proteoglycan contents of articular cartilage, histopathological lesions, immunohistochemistry on matrix metalloproteinases (MMP-2, MMP-3, MMP-7) were evaluated. Results Grossly, degenerative changes of articular cartilages were observed weak in DYJ group. The areas of articular cartilages were broader significantly in DYJ group. The proteoglycan contents in articular cartilages were lesser significantly in DYJ group. Histopathologically, the chondrocyte score was lesser significantly in DYJ group. MMP-3 expression in articular cartilages was observed weak in DYJ group. Conclusions From above results, DYJ treatment has inhibitory effects on the injuries of articular cartilage induced by monosodium iodoacetate in rats, and it's effects may be related with down regulation of MMP-3.
Daeyoungjeon (DYJ);Osteoarthritis;Proteoglycan;Matrix metalloproteinase-3
- Rosenberg AE. Bones, Joints, and Soft-Tissue Tumors. In:Kumar V, Abbas AK, Fausto N, Aster JC, eds. Pathologic Basis of Disease. 8th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders. 2010:1235-6.
- Ministry of health, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Korea Health Statistics 2013: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Ministry of health Division of Health Policy. 2013:678-80.
- Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine. Korean Rehabilitation Medicine. 4th edition. Seoul: Kunja Publishing INC. 2015:102-16.
- Zhang Jie-bin. Jingyuequashu. Seoul: Jungdam. 1999:1070.
- Kim KW, Kim SC, Seo BI, Kim SH. A study on the effects of Daeyungjeon on ovariectomized osteoporosis of rats. The Korea Jounal of Herbology. 1998;13(1):59-81.
- Cho KY, Yoo DY. Study on the effect of Yukmijihwangwon and Taeyoungjeon extract on the Meridian of Human body and Active oxygen. Journal of Korea CHUNA manual medicine. 2000;1(1);91-102.
- Kim DH, Choi JS, Kim CJ, Cho CS. The effects of Daeyungjeon on the hypothyroidism in rats. The Korea Jounal of Herbology. 2007;22(4):35-43.
- Lee SJ, Ko JM, Cjoe CM, Cho HB. Effects of Daeyungjeon on the ovulation and ovary in rats. The journal of Korean obstetrics & gynecology. 2005;18(4):106-18.
- Guingamp C, Gegout-Pottie P, Philippe L, Terlain B, Netter P, Cillet P. Mono-iodoacetate-induced experimental osteoarthritis-A dose response study of loss of mobility, morphology, and biochemistry. Arthritis Rheum. 1997;40:1670-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.1780400917
- Lee JH, Woo CH, Kim YJ, Ahn HD. Effect of Seungseup-tang on MIA-induced Osteoarthritis Rats. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2016;26(3):1-15.
- Woo CH, Oh MS. Effects of Bujasasim-tang Ethanol Extract on Oxidative Stress, Inflammation and Osteoarthritic Rat Model. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2015;25(2):15-35. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2015.25.2.015
- Won JH, Woo CH. Effects of Gyejigabuja-tang on MIA-induced Osteoarthritis in Rats. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2015;25(2):51-64.
- Yang DH, Woo CH, Kim JM, An HD. Effects of Danggwisayeok-tang on MIA-induced Osteoarthritis Rats. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2015;25(2):37-50.
- Lee EJ, Oh MS. Effects of Keonbodan on MIA-induced Osteoarthritis in Rat. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2014;24(2):51-64.
- Kook KH, Oh MS. Effects of Leejung-tang on MIA-induced Osteoarthritis Rat. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2014;24(1):31-45.
- Kim DH, Kang SI, Song MY, Choi JB, Bae KJ, Han JS, Yang MS, Sin YJ. Effects of Bangkeehwangkee-tang Treatment on the Monosodium Iodoacetate-induced Osteoarthritis in Rats. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2014;24(2):15-29.
- Lee HE, Oh MS. Effects of Mahwangbujaseshin-tang on MIA-induced Osteoarthritis Rats. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2014;24(2):65-81.
- Seo IB, Park DS. Osteoarthritis medel induced by Monosodium iodoacetate: Good model for long-term drug eddicacy test. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2015;25(4):21-8. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2015.25.4.21
- Janusz MJ, Hookfin EB, Heitmeyer SA, Woessner JF, Freemont AJ, Hoyland JA, Brown KK, Hsieh LC, Almstead NG, De B, Natchus MG, Pikul S, Taiwo YO. Moderation of iodoacetate-induced experimental osteoarthritis in rats by matrix metalloproteinase inhibitors. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, 2001;9:751-60. https://doi.org/10.1053/joca.2001.0472
- Rudolphi K, Gerwin N, Verzijl N, van der Kraan P, van den Berg W. Pralnacasan, an inhibitor of interleukin-1beta converting enzyme, reduces joint damage in two murine models of osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2003;11(10):738-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1063-4584(03)00153-5
- Goldring MB, Otero M, Plumb DA, et al. Roles of inflammatory and anabolic cytokines in cartilage metabolism: signals and multiple effectors converge upon MMP-13 regulation in osteoarthritis. Eur Cell Mater. 2011;21:202-20. https://doi.org/10.22203/eCM.v021a16
- Dijkgraaf LC, de Bont LG, Boering G, Liem RS. Normal cartilage structure, biochemistry, and metabolism: a review of the literature. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1995;53(8):924-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-2391(95)90283-X
- Shinomura T. Proteoglycan knock-out mice and osteoarthritis. Clin Calcium. 2004;14(7):58-63.
- Skiles JW, Gonnella NC, Jeng AY. The design, structure, and therapeutic application of matrix metalloproteinase inhibitors. Curr Med Chem. 2001;8(4):425-74. https://doi.org/10.2174/0929867013373417
- Snoek-van Beurden PA, Von den Hoff JW. Zymographic techniques for the analysis of matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors. Biotechniques. 2005;38(1):73-83. https://doi.org/10.2144/05381RV01
- Zeng GQ, Chen AB, Li W, Song JH, Gao CY. High MMP-1, MMP-2, and MMP-9 protein levels in osteoarthritis. Genet Mol Res. 2015;14(4):14811-22. https://doi.org/10.4238/2015.November.18.46
- Blom AB, van Lent PL, Libregts S, Holthuysen AE, van der Kraan PM, van Rooijen N, van den Berg WB. Crucial role of macrophages in matrix metalloproteinasemediated cartilage destruction during experimental osteoarthritis: involvement of matrix metalloproteinase 3. Arthritis Rheum. 2007;56(1):147-57. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.22337
- Tao Y, Qiu X, Xu C, Sun B, Shi C. Expression and correlation of matrix metalloproteinase-7 and interleukin-15 in human osteoarthritis. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2015;8(8):9112-8.
Supported by : 세명대학교