- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Literature Review of Korean Medicine Studies for Fibromyalgia Syndrome (FMS)
섬유근통 증후군의 한의학적 연구에 대한 문헌 조사: 국내 논문을 대상으로
- Lee, Jung-Min (Department of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation, College of Korean Medicine, Dae-Jeon University)
- 이정민 (대전대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실)
- Received : 2017.03.16
- Accepted : 2017.04.12
- Published : 2017.04.30
Objectives This study aimed to review studies in Korean medicine for fibromyalgia syndrome (FMS). Methods We conducted search across 3 electronic databases (Korean traditional knowledge portal, RISS, Oasis) to find studies for FMS in Korean medicine. Studies of Korean medicine for FMS were included and analysed. Results 15 studies were included. 2 studies were reviews and 13 studies were case reports. Total numbers of patients in case studies were 15. In case studies, acupuncture (100%), herbal medicine (76.9%), Korean physical therapy (69.2%), pharmacopuncture (53.8%), Chuna (46.1%) and moxibustion (30.7%) etc. were used. BL23 in acupuncture and CV12 in moxibustion were most frequently used. Gamisoyo-san in herbal medicine and visual analogue scale (VAS) in outcome measure were most frequently used. Conclusions This systematic review found encouraging but limited evidence of Korean medicine for FMS. I expect various trials such as randomized clinical trial or animal experimentation and more case reports. And systemic review for FMS in other national journals is needed.
- Rehabilitation medicine of Korean medicine. Korean rehabilitaion medicine. 4th ed. Seoul:Koonja publishing Co. 2015:122-6.
- Wall PD, Melzack R. Textbook of pain I. Seoul:Jungdam. 2002:679-97.
- Rossy LA, Buckelew SP, Dorr N, Hagglund KJ, Thayer JF, McIntosh MJ, et al. A meta-analysis of fibromyalgia treatment interventions. Annals of behavioral medicine. 1999; 21(2):180-91. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02908299
- The ministry of health and welfare. http://www.mohw.go.kr/front_new/al/sal0301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=04&MENU_ID=0403&CONT_SEQ=327592&page=1.
- Lee JJ, Cho HC, Song YK, Lim HH. The study on literature review of Chinese medical treatment for fibromyalgia. The journal of Korea Chuna manual medicine. 2004;5(1):169-81.
- Lee SY, Lee YH. Study trends on acupuncture treatment of fibromyalgia. The journal of Korea spine and joints. 2007;4(1):27-35.
- Kim WY, Park JS, Paek ST, Lee SD. Clinical study on 1 case of fibromyalgia syndromes. The journal of Korea spine and joints. 2004;1(1):13-8.
- Cho HC, Jang G, Song YK, Lim HH, Cho TY. Clinical research on 1 case of fibromyalgia treated by iontophoresis. Journal of Korea Chuna manual medicine. 2005;6(1):137-46.
- Lee CH, Lee MJ. Two case report on the patient with fibromyalgia syndrome(FMS) with Chuna and acupuncture. The journal of Korea Chuna manual medicine for spine & nerves. 2006;1(1):91-103.
- Jeong TY, Cho JH, Park BK, Son CG. A case report of symptomatic character and diagnosis of fibromyalgia. The society of Korean medicine. 2009;30(4):162-8.
- Yim JH, Cho NG. A case report of a patient who has fibromyalgia and received the isolytic MET therapy. The journal of Korea spine and joints. 2010;7(1):43-9.
- Lee YH, Kim JH, Lee CH, Kim CH, Youn HM. The clinical study on a case of fibromyalgia syndrome(FMS) patient case report. Journal of pharmacopuncture. 2011;14(1):97-104. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2011.14.1.097
- Kim MC, Kim SH. One case report of fibromyalgia syndrome(FMS) patient improved by Korean medical combined treatment. Herbal formula science. 2012;20(1):149-58. https://doi.org/10.14374/HFS.2012.20.1.149
- Kim MJ, Kim SK, Ko SJ, Park JW. A case study of Korean medicine treatment for fibromyalgia syndrome(FMS). Korea immuno-yakchim society. 2013;2(2):47-55.
- Bae YH, Jeon JY, Lim SJ, Lee CH, Kim HS, Kim HS, Song JH, Yeom SC, Kim MH. The case reports of muscle relaxation pharmacopuncture for the two patients with fibromyalgia. The journal of Korea Chuna manual medicine for spine & nerves. 2014;9(2):57-68.
- Lee EJ, Bang SP, Jo HJ, Kim KY, Kim ST, Park JS, Choi YM, Kim MS, Hwang CH, Chiang SY. A clinical study on one case of a patient with fibromyalgia by Chuna therapy and traditional Korean medicine treatment. The journal of Korea Chuna manual medicine for spine & nerves. 2014;9(1):67-75.
- Jang HG, Woo CH, Ahn HD. A clinical case study on fibromyalgia syndrome treatd by Pyung-hyung acupunture. The journal of east-west medicines. 2014;39(2):45-58.
- Kim ES, Shin MK, Kim TR, Oh JS, Ma YH, Lee YS. Fibromyalgia syndrome combined with insomnia and depression 야sorder managed with Korean medical treatment: a case report. The journal of Korean oriental internal medicine. 2015;36(3):400-9.
- Lee JY, Kim MS, Yeom SR, Kwon YD. The clinical study on a case of fibromyalgia syndrome patient by Korean medicine treatment. Journal of oriental rehabilitation medicine. 2016;26(4):127-36.
- Park W. Fibromyalgia. The journal of Korean medicine. 1998;55(4):812-25.
- Lee SS. Newer diagnostic criteria of fibromyalgia and its clinical implications. Journal of rheumatic diseases. 2011;18(3):153-60. https://doi.org/10.4078/jrd.2011.18.3.153
- Wolfe F, Clauw DJ, Fitzcharles MA, Goldenberg DL, Katzet RS, Mease P, et al. The American college of rheumatology preliminary diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia and measurement of symptom severity. Arthritis care & research. 2010;62(5):600-10. https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.20140
- Kim SH. Fibromyalgia syndrome. Journal of rheumatic diseases. 2009;16(1):1-15. https://doi.org/10.4078/jkra.2009.16.1.1
- Han SS. The long-term effects after self-help program for fibromyalgia. Korean society of muscle and joint health. 2002;9(2):154-65.
- The compilation committee of Clinic rheumatology. Clinic rheumatology. Seoul:Hanguk. 2007:595.
- Weber A, Werneck L, Paiva E, Gans P. Effects of music in combination with vibration in acupuncture points on the treatment of fibromyalgia. Journal of alternative and complement medicine. 2015 Feb;21(2):77-82. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2014.0199
- Assefi NP, Sherman KJ, Jacobsen C, Goldberg J, Smith WR, Buchwald D. A randomized clinical trial of acupuncture compared with sham acupuncture in fibromyalgia. Annals of internal medicine. 2005 Jul 5;143(1):10-9. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-143-1-200507050-00005
- Lu KW, Hsieh CL, Yang J, Lin YW. Effects of electroacupuncture in a mouse model of fibromyalgia: role of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors and related mechanisms. Acupuncture in medicine: Journal of the British medical acupuncture society. 2017 Mar;35(1):59-68. https://doi.org/10.1136/acupmed-2015-010986
- Department of acupuncture, moxibustion and meridian points, College of Korean Medicine. The acupuncture and moxibustion I. Seoul:Jibmundang. 2006:730-1.
- Byun JY, Son IC, Uhm TS. Literacture review for ST36 and CV4. The journal of Korean acupuncture & moxibustion medicine society. 1992;9(1):173-8.
- Lim JG. Therapeutics of acupuncture and moxibustion. Seoul:Jibmundang. 1983:233-5.
- Choi YS, Kim TK, Jung WS, Moon SK. Effects of moxibustion on the hemiplegic upper extremity after stroke. The journal of Korean oriental internal medicine. 2003;24(2):283-9.
- Kim GS. Practical east-west medicine clinical series(3). Seoul:Jungdam. 2001:548.
- Park SW. Antidepressant action of Kami-shoyosan. Inje university. 2004.
- You JY, Jang CY, Jeong HR, Shin YJ, Kim SJ, Lee UJ. Three cases report of anxiety and depression disorder in the traffic accident patients treated with prescription of Kami-shoyo-san. The journal of Korean oriental internal medicine. 2014;35(4):556-72.
- Ko ES, Kang BC, Sung KH, Song IH, Kim UC, Kwon DI, Park KH, Jung SM, Park JH. The clinical review on three cases of UL-syndrome(鬱證) induced by chronic stress. The journal of Korean oriental internal medicine. 2004;25(3):615-24.
- Son MS. (The) Neuroprotective effect of Kuibi-tang and it's components against dexamethasone treatment on hippocampal slice. Kyunghee university. 2010.
- Kim HC, Chung DK. A study of the comparative effect of Kuibitang, Kamiondarmtang, and Kuibiondarmtang on serum levels in rats under the immobilization stress. Journal of oriental neuropsychiatry. 1993;4(1):99-199.
- Lee JA, Kim JW, Whang WW, Kwak SY, Kim MJ, Park EH. The effects of Quibitang on an animal model of depression induced by chronic mild stress. Journal of oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2001:12(1);123-35.
- Ahn DK. Studies on the analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects of Youngsunjetong-eum. Korean journal of pharmacognosy. 1981;12(1):44-50.
- Offenbaecher M, Bondy M, Jonge SD, Glatzeder K, Kaűger M, Schoeps P, et al. Possible association of fibromyalgia with a polymorphism in the serotonin transporter gene regulatory region. Arthritis & rheumatism. 1999;42(11):2482-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/1529-0131(199911)42:11<2482::AID-ANR27>3.0.CO;2-B
- Gürsoy S, Erdal E, Herken H, Madenci E, Alaşehirli B, Erdal N. Significance of catechol-Omethyltransferasegene polymorphismin fibromyalgia syndrome. Rheumatology international. 2003;23(3):104-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00296-002-0260-5
- Mclean SA, Williams DA, Harris RE, Kop WJ, Groner KH, Ambrose K, et al. Momentary relationship between cortisol secretion and symptoms in patients with fibromyalgia. Arthritis & rheumatism 2005;52:3660-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.21372