- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Current Status of Clinical Study on Traditional East Asian Medicine Using Taiwan Health Insurance Claim Data
대만 건강보험청구데이터(NHIRD)를 이용한 전통 동아시아 의학(TEAM) 임상연구의 현황
- Received : 2017.03.23
- Accepted : 2017.04.07
- Published : 2017.04.30
Objectives The study of the clinical effects of traditional east asian medicine (TEAM) using Taiwan national health insurance claim dataset (NHIRD) is useful in Korean Medicine research. We reviewed the clinical studies of TEAM using NHIRD as a whole through this study. Methods We comprehensively searched PUBMED and NHIRD DB for clinical effects of TEAM study using NHIRD from inception to 17, January 2017. As a result, 40 studies investigating the contribution of TEAM intervention to health benefit have been confirmed. We analyzed publication time, target disease, sample size, outcome measurement and main result of 40 searched studies. Results The number of TEAM studies using NHIRD grdually increasing. The topics of the team study using NHIRD covered a wide range of subjects including cardiovascular disease, tumor, gynecological disease, diabetes and kidney disease. The studies have shown large samples and reported significant effects on severe diseases. Conclusions The results of this study suggest that the study of Korean Medicine using Big data will be useful for decision making related to health care in Korea. However, considering the limited domestic Korean health insurance data, it will be necessary to activate the big data research of Korean Medicine through the establishment of a separate cohort in Korea.
National Health Insurance Research Database;Korean Medicine;Traditional East Asian Medicine;Big data;Epidemiology
- Gulshan V, Peng L, Coram M, et al. Development and Validation of a Deep Learning Algorithm for Detection of Diabetic Retinopathy in Retinal Fundus Photographs. JAMA. 2016;316(22):2402-10. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.17216
- Frankovich J, Longhurst CA, Sutherland SM. Evidencebased medicine in the EMR era. N Engl J Med. 2011;365(19):1758-9. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1108726
- The Asahi Shimbun. Big data shows promise in helping cancer patients at Todai. Online document at: http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201609190064.html Accessed March 10, 2017.
- Government 3.0 open data portal. Online document at: https://www.data.go.kr/ Accessed March 1, 2017.
- Park DW, Ko MJ et al. A Comparative Study on the Uses of statin and the Risk of diabetes mellituys. Seoul:Natioanl Evidence Based Healthcare Collaborating Agency, 2015.
- Korean Food and Drug Administration. Case announcement of medication - adverse reactions and relationship analysis cases using the drug side effects of medication and health care information. Online document at: http://www.mfds.go.kr/index.do?mid=675&pageNo=1&seq=31342&cmd=v Accessed March 3, 2017.
- National Development Institute of Korean Medicine. Symposium on Clinical Informatization of Korean Medicine using Big Data. Seoul:National Development Institute of Korean Medicine, 2016.
- Jung BY, Bae SJ, Jung CW et al. Use of Western Medicine and Traditional Medicine for Joint disorders: Retrospective Comparative Analysis Based on Korean National wide Insurance Data. Seoul:Research Institute of Korean Medicine Policy, The Association of Korean Medicine. 2016.
- Kim KH, Jang SB, Sung JW, et al. A Review on studies of Korean Medicine using secondary data. Journal of Society of Preventive Korean Medicine. 2016;20(1):29-42.
- Natiaonal Health Insurance Research Database. Online document at: http://nhird.nhri.org.tw/file_talk/NHIRD_ PubMed_20150525.xlsx Accessed January 17, 2017.
- Hsing AW, Ioannidis JP. Nationwide Population Science: Lessons From the Taiwan National Health Insurance Research Database. JAMA Intern Med. 2015;175(9):1527-9. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2015.3540
- Kim YK. A Study on the Reasonable Improvement Plan of the Medicines Control Guideline report, Seoul:Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service. 2014.
- Natiaonal Health Insurance Research Database. Online document at: http://nhird.nhri.org.tw/ Accessed January 12, 2017.
- Su SY, Muo CH, Morisky DE. Use of chinese medicine and subsequent surgery in women with uterine fibroid: a retrospective cohort study. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012;2012:617918.
- Liao YH, Lin JG, Lin CC, et al. Distributions of usage and the costs of conventional medicine and traditional chinese medicine for lung cancer patients in taiwan. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013;2013:984876.
- Shih CC, Lee HH, Chen TL, et al. Reduced use of emergency care and hospitalization in patients with traumatic brain injury receiving acupuncture treatment. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013;2013:262039.
- Lee KH, Tsai YT, Lai JN, et al. Concurrent Use of Hypnotic Drugs and Chinese Herbal Medicine Therapies among Taiwanese Adults with Insomnia Symptoms: A Population-Based Study. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013;2013:987862.
- Chiu HE, Hung YC, Chang KC, et al. Favorable circulatory system outcomes as adjuvant traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) treatment for cerebrovascular diseases in Taiwan. PLoS One. 2014;9(1):e86351. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0086351
- Lee YW, Chen TL, Shih YR, et al. Adjunctive traditional Chinese medicine therapy improves survival in patients with advanced breast cancer: a population-based study. Cancer. 2014;120(9):1338-44. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.28579
- Hsieh CF, Huang SL, Chen CL, et al. Non-aristolochic acid prescribed Chinese herbal medicines and the risk of mortality in patients with chronic kidney disease: results from a population-based follow-up study. BMJ Open. 2014;4(2):e004033. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2013-004033
- Shih CC, Hsu YT, Wang HH, et al. Decreased risk of stroke in patients with traumatic brain injury receiving acupuncture treatment: a population-based retrospective cohort study. PLoS One. 2014;9(2):e89208. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0089208
- Tsai YT, Lai JN, Wu CT. The use of Chinese herbal products and its influence on tamoxifen induced endometrial cancer risk among female breast cancer patients: a population-based study. J Ethnopharmacol. 2014;155(2):1256-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2014.07.008
- Su SY, Muo CH, Sung FC, et al. Reduction of surgery rate in endometriosis patients who take Chinese medicine: a population-based retrospective cohort study. Complement Ther Med. 2014;22(4):632-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2014.06.010
- Hsu PC, Tsai YT, Lai JN, et al. Integrating traditional Chinese medicine healthcare into diabetes care by reducing the risk of developing kidney failure among type 2 diabetic patients: a population-based case control study. J Ethnopharmacol. 2014;156:358-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2014.08.029
- Hung YC, Hung IL, Sun MF, et al. Integrated traditional Chinese medicine for childhood asthma in Taiwan: a Nationwide cohort study. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2014;14:389. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-14-389
- Chen HY, Lin YH, Wu JC, et al. Use of traditional Chinese medicine reduces exposure to corticosteroid among atopic dermatitis children: a 1-year follow-up cohort study. J Ethnopharmacol. 2015;159:189-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2014.11.018
- Wu CT, Lai JN, Tsai YT. The prescription pattern of Chinese herbal products that contain dang-qui and risk of endometrial cancer among tamoxifen-treated female breast cancer survivors in Taiwan: a population-based study. PLoS One. 2014;9(12):e113887. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0113887
- Yen HR, Sun MF, Lin CL, Sung FC, Wang CC, Liang KL. Adjunctive traditional Chinese medicine therapy for patients with chronic rhinosinusitis: a population-based study. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2015;5(3):240-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/alr.21446
- Hsu WL, Tsai YT, Wu CT, et al. The Prescription Pattern of Chinese Herbal Products Containing Ginseng among Tamoxifen-Treated Female Breast Cancer Survivors in Taiwan: A Population-Based Study. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2015;2015:385204.
- Lin HC, Lin CL, Huang WY, et al. The use of adjunctive traditional Chinese medicine therapy and survival outcome in patients with head and neck cancer: a nationwide population-based cohort study. QJM. 2015;108(12):959-65. https://doi.org/10.1093/qjmed/hcv079
- Liao YH, Lin CC, Lai HC, et al. Adjunctive traditional chinese medicine therapy improves survival of liver cancer patients. Liver Int. 2015;35(12):2595-602. https://doi.org/10.1111/liv.12847
- Hu YC, Wu CT, Lai JN, et al. Detection of a negative correlation between prescription of Chinese herbal products containing coumestrol, genistein or daidzein and risk of subsequent endometrial cancer among tamoxifen-treated female breast cancer survivors in Taiwan between 1998 and 2008: A population-based study. J Ethnopharmacol. 2015;169:356-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2015.04.028
- Lin MY, Chiu YW, Chang JS, et al. Association of prescribed Chinese herbal medicine use with risk of end-stage renal disease in patients with chronic kidney disease. Kidney Int. 2015;88(6):1365-73. https://doi.org/10.1038/ki.2015.226
- Tsai DS, Huang MH, Chang YS, et al. The use of Chinese herbal medicines associated with reduced mortality in chronic hepatitis B patients receiving lamivudine treatment. J Ethnopharmacol. 2015;174:161-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2015.08.002
- Chuang SF, Shih CC, Yeh CC, et al. Decreased risk of acute myocardial infarction in stroke patients receiving acupuncture treatment: a nationwide matched retrospective cohort study. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2015;15:318. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-015-0828-8
- Shih CC, Liao CC, Sun MF, et al. A Retrospective Cohort Study Comparing Stroke Recurrence Rate in Ischemic Stroke Patients With and Without Acupuncture Treatment. Medicine (Baltimore). 2015;94(39):e1572. https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000001572
- Lin YJ, Ho TJ, Yeh YC, et al. Chinese Herbal Medicine Treatment Improves the Overall Survival Rate of Individuals with Hypertension among Type 2 Diabetes Patients and Modulates In Vitro Smooth Muscle Cell Contractility. PLoS One. 2015;10(12):e0145109. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0145109
- Ma YC, Lin CC, Li CI, et al. Traditional Chinese medicine therapy improves the survival of systemic lupus erythematosus patients. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2016 Apr;45(5):596-603. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semarthrit.2015.09.006
- Chang CC, Chen TL, Chiu HE, et al. Outcomes after stroke in patients receiving adjuvant therapy with traditional Chinese medicine: A nationwide matched interventional cohort study. J Ethnopharmacol. 2016;177:46-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2015.11.028
- Fleischer T, Chang TT, Chiang JH, et al. Adjunctive Chinese Herbal Medicine therapy improves survival of patients with chronic myeloid leukemia: a nationwide population-based cohort study. Cancer Med. 2016;5(4):640-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.627
- Lee AL, Chen BC, Mou CH, et al. Association of Traditional Chinese Medicine Therapy and the Risk of Vascular Complications in Patients With Type II Diabetes Mellitus: A Nationwide, Retrospective, Taiwanese-Registry, Cohort Study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016;95(3):e2536. https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000002536
- Tsai TY, Li CY, Livneh H, et al. Decreased risk of stroke in patients receiving traditional Chinese medicine for vertigo: A population-based cohort study. J Ethnopharmacol. 2016;184:138-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2016.03.008
- Chuang SF, Liao CC, Yeh CC, et al. Reduced risk of stroke in patients with cardiac arrhythmia receiving traditional Chinese medicine: A nationwide matched retrospective cohort study. Complement Ther Med. 2016;25:34-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2015.12.012
- Chang CC, Lee YC, Lin CC, et al. Characteristics of traditional Chinese medicine usage in patients with stroke in Taiwan: A nationwide population-based study. J Ethnopharmacol. 2016;186:311-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2016.04.018
- Fleischer T, Chang TT, Chiang JH, et al. Integration of Chinese Herbal Medicine Therapy Improves Survival of Patients With Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia: A Nationwide Population-Based Cohort Study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016;95(21):e3788. https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000003788
- Lien AS, Jiang YD, Mou CH, et al. Integrative traditional Chinese medicine therapy reduces the risk of diabetic ketoacidosis in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. J Ethnopharmacol. 2016 Sep 15;191:324-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2016.06.051
- Weng SW, Liao CC, Yeh CC, et al. Risk of epilepsy in stroke patients receiving acupuncture treatment: a nationwide retrospective matched-cohort study. BMJ Open. 2016;6(7):e010539. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2015-010539
- Hung YC, Cheng YC, Muo CH, et al. Adjuvant Chinese Herbal Products for Preventing Ischemic Stroke in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation. PLoS One. 2016;11(7):e0159333. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0159333
- Liu JM, Lin PH, Hsu RJ, et al. Complementary traditional Chinese medicine therapy improves survival in patients with metastatic prostate cancer. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016;95(31):e4475. https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000004475
- Fleischer T, Chang TT, Chiang JH, et al. Improved Survival With Integration of Chinese Herbal Medicine Therapy in Patients With Acute Myeloid Leukemia: A Nationwide Population-Based Cohort Study. Integr Cancer Ther. 2016. pii: 1534735416664171. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lin SK, Tsai YT, Lo PC, et al. Traditional Chinese medicine therapy decreases the pneumonia risk in patients with dementia. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016;95(37):e4917. https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000004917
- Wang YJ, Liao CC, Chen HJ, et al. The Effectiveness of Traditional Chinese Medicine in Treating Patients with Leukemia. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2016;2016:8394850.
- Chang CM, Wu PC, Chiang JH, et al. Integrative therapy decreases the risk of lupus nephritis in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: A population-based retrospective cohort study. J Ethnopharmacol. 2017;196:201-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2016.12.016
- Wu YT, Lee HY. National Health Insurance database in Taiwan: A resource orobstacle for health research? Eur J Intern Med. 2016;31:e9-e10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejim.2016.03.022
- The Wall street Journal. IBM works on China's Medical Records. Online document at: http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703369704575462653035645256 Accessed March 15, 2017.
- Staa TP, Goldacre B, Gulliford M, et al. Pragmatic randomised trials using routine electronic health records: putting them to the test. BMJ. 2012;344:e55. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.e55
- Kim JY, Back YH, Lee SW, et al. Review on Cohort Projects in Domestic and Overseas and Establishment of Cohort on Korean Medicine. Journal of Society of Preventive Korean Medicine 2016 ; 20(1) : 65-73.
Supported by : 청연의학연구소