- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Clinical Report on 3 Cases of Lateral Epicondylitis Treated with Musculotendinous Releasing Manual Therapy after Acupuncture Treatment
침치료 후 근건이완수기요법을 적용한 주관절 외상과염 환자 치험 3례
- Received : 2017.03.22
- Accepted : 2017.04.07
- Published : 2017.04.30
We researched 3 patients diagnosed as Lateral epicondylitis (Tennis elbow). We considered it as tendinosis including irregular collagen fiber's pattern. So, acupuncture therapy and musculotendinous releasing manual therapy were used to treat the patients. We measured their pain and functional disorder by visual analogue scale (VAS), Patient-Rated Tennis Elbow Evaluation (PRTEE), and a dynamometer before and after treatment. As a result, VAS and PRTEE significantly reduced and grasping power was also improved. Therefore, we conclude that the acupuncture therapy with musculotendinous releasing manual therapy is an effective way to treat Lateral epicondylitis. But there are limits on this study due to insufficient number of cases, absence of control group and absence of follow-up after last treatment. Further studies will be needed.
Lateral epicondylitis;Tennis elbow;Musculotendinous releasing manual therapy
- Lee DR, PT, MS, Kim JS, PT, PhD. Relizbility and Validity of the Korean Version of Patient-Rated Tennis Elbow Evaluation. J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2014;9(1):25-33. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2014.9.1.25
- Calfee RP, Patel A, DaSilva MF, Akelman E. Management of lateral epicondylitis; current concepts. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2008;16(1):19-29. https://doi.org/10.5435/00124635-200801000-00004
- Ludwig Ombregt. A System of Orthopaedic Medicine 3rd edition. 2015
- Ko SH, Lee CC, Kang BS, Lee KJ, Lee SH. Treatment of refractory lateral epicondylitis with platelet-rich plasma. J of Korean Shoulder and Elbow Society. 2010;13(1):59-63.
- Sin DC, Lee JI, Kang MS, Song HS. Effect of Eight Vacuity Theory Adopted Complex Acupuncture Therapy on Patients with External Epicondylitis. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2015;32(2):209-16.
- Kim CW, Park HI, Lee YH, Lee KH. A Case Study of 13 Patients with Lateral Epicondylitis of Elbow Using Deep Thermo-conductive Acupuncture Therapy. Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2013;30(2):25-30.
- Choi JY, Kang JH, Lee H. A Clinical Cases Study of Elbow Pain and Dysfunction in Patients Diagnosed as Lateral Epicondylitis. Daejeon University Institute of Korean Medicine. 2011;20(1):153-60.
- Shim SY, Park HJ, Lee JM, Lee HS. An Overview of Pain Measurements. The Korean Journal of Meridian & Acupoint. 2007;24(2):77-97.
- Kim MK, Yoon IJ, Oh MS. A clinical cases Study of Elbow pain and Dysfunction in Patients diagnosed as Tennis elbow. Daejeon University Institute of Korean Medicine. 2009;18(2):113-8.
- Uhm BK O.M.D., Kim JW O.M.D., Kim CY O.M.D., Han SW O.M.D., Yang KY O.M.D., Cho TY O.M.D. Lateral Epicondylitis of the Elbow by Oriental Medical Treatments : 4 Cases Report. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine&Nerves. 2012;7(1):103-12.
- Bernhang AM. The many causes of tennis elbow. NY State Med. 1979:1363-6.
- Kim YH, Song SW, Park IJ et al. Radiologic changes of lateral epicondylitis(tennis elbow). J Korean Soc Surg Hand. 2006;11(3):163-7.
- Gev Bhabra, MD, FRCS, Allan Wang, FRACS, PhD, Jay R. Ebert, PhD, Peter Edwards, BSc, Monica Zheng, BpodM, and Ming H. Zheng, PhD, MD, FRCPath. Lateral Elbow Tendinopathy. The Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine. 2016;4(11):1-10.
- Smidt N, Lewis M, van der Windt DA, Hay EM, Bouter LM, Croft P. Lateral epicondylitis in general practice: course and prognostic indicators of outcome. J rheumatol. 2006;33:2053-9.
- Rockwood CA. Tennis elbow. J Okahama Med Assn. 1960;53:430-6.
- Jeong SG. Lateral. Journal of the Korean shoulder and elbow society. 2005;8(2):81-7. https://doi.org/10.5397/CiSE.2005.8.2.081
- Kim SY, Kim CK, Ko DS. Pain of Industrial Workers with Chronic Lateral Epicondylitis and Changes in Joint Position Sense according to Proprioception Improvement Training. Journal of Digital Convergence. 2013;11(4):285-92.
- Lim NR, Lim JY, Kim DW, Lee JD, Kim SC. Effetc of Acupotomy Therapy on Lateral Epicondylitis Diagnosed by Ultrasonography. Journal of Pharmacopuncture. 2011;14(2):53-9.
- Kim HS, Lee CH, Oh MS. The Domestic Trends of Acupuncture Treatment on Lateral Epicondylitis : A literature review. Daejeon University Institute of Korean Medicine. 2016;25(1):1-13.
- Poltawski L, Watson T. Measuring clinically important change with the Patient-rated Tennis Elbow Evaluation. Hand Ther. 2011;16(3):52-7. https://doi.org/10.1258/ht.2011.011013
- An GH, Lee H, Lee BR. The Comparative Study on the Bee-Venom Therapy and Common Acupuncture Therapy for the Lateral Epicondylitis(Tennis Elbow). Daejeon University Institute of Korean Medicine. 2004;13(2):267-76.