- Volume 33 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Relative Density and Stress-Dependent Failure Criteria of Marine Silty Sand Subjected to Cyclic Loading
반복하중을 받는 해양실트질 모래의 상대밀도에 따른 응력기반 파괴기준
- Ko, Min Jae (Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engrg., Pusan National Univ.) ;
- Son, Su Won (Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engrg., Pusan National Univ.) ;
- Kim, Jin Man (Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engrg., Pusan National Univ.)
- Received : 2016.12.30
- Accepted : 2017.01.19
- Published : 2017.01.31
An experimental study has been conducted by using the Cyclic Direct Simple Shear apparatus to evaluate the influence of average and cyclic shear stresses on the undrained shear failure behavior of marine silty sand considering various relative densities. The obtained results show that despite using different relative densities, similar trends were gained in the cyclic shear deformation. Moreover, the cyclic shear deformation is affected mainly by the average and cyclic shear stresses. The number of cyclic loads for failure is significantly affected by the cyclic shear stress ratio and relative density, and is less affected by the average shear stress ratio. The proposed three-dimensional stress-dependent failure contour can be used effectively to assess the soil shear strength considering various relative densities in the design of foundation used for offshore structures.
Supported by : 부산대학교
- Andersen, K.H., Kleven, A., and Heien, D. (1988), "Cyclic Soil Data for Design of Gravity Structures", Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol.114, No.5, pp.517-539. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1988)114:5(517)
- Andersen, K.H. and Berre, T. (1999), "Behaviour of a Dense Sand under Monotonic and Cyclic Loading", In Proceedings of the 12th ECSMGE, Geotechnical Engineering for Transportation Infrastructure, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, 7-10 June 1999, Vol.2, pp.667-676.
Andersen, K.H. (2009), "Bearing Capacity under Cyclic Loading, Offshore, Along the Coast and on Land. The 21st Bjerrum Lecture presented in Oslo, 23 November 2007", NRC Research Press Web site
- Budhu, M. and Britto, A. (1987), "Numerical Analysis of Soils in Simple Shear Devices", Soils and Foundation, Vol.27, No.2, pp.31-41 https://doi.org/10.3208/sandf1972.27.2_31
- De Alba, P., Seed, H.B., and Chan, C.K. (1976), "Sand Liquefaction in Large-scale Simple Shear Tests", J. Geotech. Engrg. Div., ASCE, Vol.102, pp.909-927.
- Ishihara, K. (1985), "Stability of Natural Deposits during Earthquakes", 11th Intl. Conf. on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, San Francisco, 1: 321-376.
- Kramer, S.L. (1996), Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering, Prentice-Hall Inc.
- Miura, S. and Toki, S. (1982), "A Sample Preparation Method and It Effect on Static and Cyclic Deformation-strength Properties of Sand", Soils and Foundation, Vol.22, pp.61-77. https://doi.org/10.3208/sandf1972.22.61
- Mulilus, J.P., Seed, H.B., Chan, C.K., Mitchell, J.K., and Arulanandan, K. (1977), "Effects of Sample Preparation on Sample Preparation", Journal of Geotechnical Engineering Division, ASCE 103 (GT2), pp.91-108.
- Nielsen, S.D., Shajarati, A., Sorenson, K.W., and Ibsen, L.B. (2012), "Behaviour of Dense Frederikshavn Sand during Cyclic Loading", DCE Technical Memorandum, No.15.
- Peck, R.B., Hanson, W.E., and Thornburn, T.H. (1974), Foundation Engineering 2nd Ed., New York: John Wiley and Sons.
- Randolph, M. and Gourvenec, S. (2011), "Offshore Geotechnical Engineering", Taylor and Francis, London.
- Ryu, T. G. (2016), Long-term dynamic behavior study of marine silty sand for offshore structure foundation design, Master's Thesis, Pusan National University.
- Ryu, T. G. and Kim, J. M. (2015), "Stress-Dependent Failure Criteria for Marine Silty Sand Subject to Cyclic Loading", Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.31, No.11, pp.15-23. https://doi.org/10.7843/KGS.2015.31.11.15
- Vaid, Y. P. and Negussey, D. (1988), "Preparation of Reconstituted Sand Specimens", ASTM STP pp.977.