- Volume 20 Issue 2
An Integrative Literature Review on Gender in Engineering Education
공학교육에서의 성별에 관한 통합적 문헌 고찰
- Heo, Sejin (Innovation Center for Engineering Education, Korea Polytechnic University) ;
- Jeon, Gwangil (Innovation Center for Engineering Education, Korea Polytechnic University) ;
- Han, Kyungsook (Innovation Center for Engineering Education, Korea Polytechnic University) ;
- Shin, Junyoung (Innovation Center for Engineering Education, Korea Polytechnic University)
- 허세진 (한국산업기술대학교 공학교육혁신센터) ;
- 전광일 (한국산업기술대학교 공학교육혁신센터) ;
- 한경숙 (한국산업기술대학교 공학교육혁신센터) ;
- 신준영 (한국산업기술대학교 공학교육혁신센터)
- Received : 2017.02.02
- Accepted : 2017.03.30
- Published : 2017.03.30
This paper investigated how three representative domestic and international engineering education journals explored societal supports contributing to retention and persistence in engineering, especially among women. An integrative literature review of engineering education journals was carried out to identify the flow of research and practice of engineering education for females. The findings indicate that retention and persistence of women in engineering is closely relevant to issues of diversity management, collaboration competency, and self-leadership.
women;engineering education;diversity management;collaboration competency;self-leadership
- Amelink, C. T., & Creamer, E. G. (2010). Gender differences in elements of the undergraduate experience that influence satisfaction with the engineering major and the intent to pursue engineering as a career. Journal of Engineering Education, 99 (1): 81-92. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2010.tb01044.x
- Amelink, C. T., & Meszaros, P. S. (2011). A comparison of educational factors promoting or discouraging the intent to remain in engineering by gender. European Journal of Engineering Education, 36 (1): 47-62. https://doi.org/10.1080/03043797.2010.531695
- Anderson, K. J. B., Courter, S. S., McGlamery, T., Nathans-Kelly, T. M., & Nicometo, C. G.(2010). Understandin engineering work and identity: across-case analysis of engineers within six firms. Engineering Studies, 2 (3): 153-174. https://doi.org/10.1080/19378629.2010.519772
- Bailey, M., Raelin, J., Hamann, J.,Pendleton, L., Reisberg, R., & Whitman, D. (2012). The effect of cooperative education on the self-efficacy of students in undergraduate engineering. In Proceedings of the Cooperative & Experiential Education Division Program of the American Society for Engineering Education National Conference.
- Barron, B.(2003). When smart groups fail. Journal of the Learning Sciences, 12 (3): 307-359. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327809JLS1203_1
- Bandura, A.(1986). Social foundations of thought and action: A cognitive social theory. NJ, US: Prentice-Hall.
- Blair, B. F., Millea, M., & Hammer, J. (2004). The impact of cooperative education on academic performance and compensation of engineering majors. Journal of Engineering Education, 93 (4) 333-338. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2004.tb00822.x
- Choi, K. & Park, S.(2009). A Study on Motvation and Self-efficacy of Women Engineering. (2009). Journal of Engineering Education Research, 12 (2): 3-13.
- Du, X., & Kolmos, A. (2009). Increasing the diversity of engineering education-a gender analysis in a PBL context. European Journal of Engineering Education, 34 (5): 425-437. https://doi.org/10.1080/03043790903137577
- Elfering, A., Semmer, N. K., Tschan, F., Kalin, W., & Bucher, A.(2007). First years in job: A three-wave analysis of work experiences. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 70 (1): 97-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2006.07.001
- Eliot, M., & Turns, J.(2011). Constructing professional portfolios: Sense-making and professional identity development for engineering undergraduates. Journal of Engineering Education, 100 (4): 630-654. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2011.tb00030.x
- Guion, R. M.(1991). Personnel assessment, selection, and placement In MD Dunnette & LM Hough (Eds.), Handbook of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 2,(pp. 327-398). Palo Alto.
- Gu, S. & Kim, D.(2014). A Study on the Effects of WIE Programs on Women Engineers' Employment and Career Duration. Journal of Engineering Education Research, 17 (6): 3-11.
- Heo, G., Weon, H., & Lee, W.(2007). A Case Study of Exploring the Direction of Women Engineering Education by the Analysis of Learner's Recognition. Journal of Engineering Education Research, 10 (3): 21-37. https://doi.org/10.18108/jeer.2007.10.3.21
- Hamlin, B., & Stewart, J.(2011). What is HRD? A definitional review and synthesis of the HRD domain. Journal of European Industrial Training, 35 (3): 199-220. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090591111120377
- Han, K., Park J., & Kang. H.(2010). Engineering and Gender: How to Deal with It in Engineering Education? Journal of Engineering Education Research, 13 (1): 38-51.
- Hutchison, M. A., Follman, D. K., Sumpter, M., & Bodner, G. M.(2006). Factors Influencing the Self‐Efficacy Beliefs of First‐Year Engineering Students. Journal of Engineering Education, 95 (1): 39-47. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2006.tb00876.x
- Ingram, S., Bruning, S., & Mikawoz, I. (2009). Career and mentor satisfaction among Canadian engineers: Are there differences based on gender and company‐specific undergraduate work experiences? Journal of Engineering Education, 98 (2): 131-144. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2009.tb01012.x
- Jones, B. D., Paretti, M. C., Hein, S. F., & Knott, T. W.(2010). An analysis of motivation constructs with first‐year engineering students: Relationships among expectancies, values, achievement, and career plans. Journal of Engineering Education, 99 (4): 319-336. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2010.tb01066.x
- Kodate, N., Kodate, K., & Kodate, T. (2014). Paving the way and passing the torch: mentors' motivation and experience of supporting women in optical engineering. European Journal of Engineering Education, 39 (6): 648-665. https://doi.org/10.1080/03043797.2014.899323
- Kolmos, A., Mejlgaard, N., Haase, S., & Holgaard, J. E.(2013). Motivational factors, gender and engineering education. European Journal of Engineering Education, 38 (3): 340-358. https://doi.org/10.1080/03043797.2013.794198
- Lent, R. W., Brown, S. D., Talleyrand, R., McPartland, E. B., Davis, T., Chopra, S. B., ... & Chai, C. M.(2002). Career choice barriers, supports, and coping strategies: College students' experiences. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 60 (1): 61-72. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2001.1814
- Leicht-Scholten, C., Weheliye, A. J., & Wolffram, A.(2009). Institutionalisation of gender and diversity management in engineering education. European Journal of Engineering Education, 34 (5): 447-454. https://doi.org/10.1080/03043790903137700
- Manz, C. C.(1986). Self-leadership: Toward an expanded theory of self-influence processes in organizations. Academy of Management Review, 11 (3): 585-600. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1986.4306232
- Marra, R. M., Rodgers, K. A., Shen, D., & Bogue, B.(2009). Women engineering students and self-efficacy: A multi-year, multi-institution study of women engineering student self-efficacy. Journal of Engineering Education, 98 (1): 27-38. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2009.tb01003.x
- Post-Kammer, P., & Smith, P. L. (1985). Sex differences in career self-efficacy, consideration, and interests of eighth and ninth graders. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 32 (4): 551-559. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0220.127.116.111
- Raelin, J. A., Bailey, M. B., Hamann, J., Pendleton, L. K., Reisberg, R., & Whitman, D. L.(2014). The gendered effect of cooperative education, contextual support, and self‐efficacy on undergraduate retention. Journal of Engineering Education, 103 (4): 599-624. https://doi.org/10.1002/jee.20060
- Rios-Carmenado, I., Lopez, F. R., & Garcia, C. P.(2015). Promoting professional project management skills in engineering higher education: Project-based learning. International Journal of Engineering Education, 31 (1) : 184-198.
- Spencer, L. M., & Spencer, P. S. M. (2008). Competence at Work models for superior performance. New Jersey: John Willey & Sons.
- Stump, G. S., Hilpert, J. C., Husman, J., Chung, W. T., & Kim, W.(2011). Collaborative learning in engineering students: Gender and achievement. Journal of Engineering Education, 100 (3): 475-497. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2011.tb00023.x
- Tonso, K. L.(2007). On the outskirts of engineering: Learning identity, gender, and power via engineering practice. Rotterdam, Netherlands: Sense.
- Torraco, R. J.(2005). Writing integrative literature reviews: Guidelines and examples. Human resource development review, 4 (3): 356-367. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534484305278283
- Turns, J., Sattler, B., Eliot, M., Kilgore, D., & Mobrand, K.(2012). Preparedness portfolios and portfolio studios. International Journal of ePortfolio, 2 (1): 1-13.
- Wheeler, K. G.(1983). Comparisons of self‐efficacy and expectancy models of occupational preferences for college males and females. Journal of Occupational Psychology, 56 (1): 73-78. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.1983.tb00112.x
- Wolfe, J., & Powell, E.(2009). Biases in interpersonal communication: How engineering students perceive gender typical speech acts in teamwork. Journal of Engineering Education, 98(1): 5-15. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2009.tb01001.x
- Youn, J., Han, H., & Choi, S.(2014). A study on the factors of female students' dropout from engineering college. Journal of Engineering Education Research, 17 (6): 46-52. https://doi.org/10.18108/jeer.2014.17.6.46