- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Ethical Leadership on In-Role Behavior and Psychological Capital: The Moderating Role of Management Decoupling and Personal Decoupling
팀장의 윤리적 리더십이 팀원들의 역할 내 행동과 긍정심리자본에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구: 괴리현상의 조절효과를 중심으로
- 김문주 (이화여자대학교 경영연구소)
- Received : 2017.02.23
- Accepted : 2017.03.09
- Published : 2017.04.28
The present empirical research examines the effect of team leader's ethical leadership on team members' in-role behavior and psychological capital. This study also predicts that management decoupling and personal decoupling will moderate the effect of ethical leadership negatively. A growing body on leadership research highlights the role of team leader's moral manager in team settings. Ethical leadership also becomes a salient issue in the situation of unethical decision making and misuse of management power which have done by unethical leaders all around the world. In order to identify the effect of ethical leadership, I collected data of 922 team members from bank, semiconductor manufacturer, and university hospital. Our findings show that ethical leaderships have a positive effect on team members' in-role behavior and psychological capital. In addition, I also found the significant moderation effect of management decoupling which team members perceive their top management team's inauthenticity. Contrary to the prediction, however, the result doesn't support the moderation effect of personal decoupling. I discussed implications of confirming and disconfirming findings in details.
Ethical Leadership;In-Role Behavior;Psychological Capital;Management Decoupling;Personal Decoupling
- R. Pernick, "Creating a leadership development program: Nine essential tasks," Public Personnel Management, Vol.30, No.4, pp.429-444, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1177/009102600103000401
- J. B. Avey, F. Luthans, and C. M. Youssef, "The additive value of positive psychological capital in predicting work attitudes and behaviors," Journal of Management, Vol.36, pp.430-452, 2010.
- M. E. Brown, L. K. Trevino, and D. A. Harrison, "Ethical leadership: A social learning perspective for construct development and testing," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol.97, pp.117-134, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.obhdp.2005.03.002
- J. B. Avey, M. E. Palanski, and F. O. Walumbwa, "When leadership goes unnoticed: The moderating role of follower self-esteem on the relationship between ethical leadership and follower behavior," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.98, pp.573-582, 2010.
- D. M. Mayer, M. Kuenzi, R. Greenbaum, M. Bardes, and R. B. Salvador, "How low does ethical leadership flow? Test of a trickle down model," Organizational Behavior and Human Processes, Vol.108, No.1, pp.1-13, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.obhdp.2008.04.002
- F. O. Walumbwa and J. Schaubroeck, "Leader personality traits and employee voice behavior: Mediating roles of ethical leadership and work group psychological safety," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.94, No.5, pp.1275-1286, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0015848
- R. F. Piccolo, R. Greenbaum, D. N. D. Hartog, and R. Folger, "The relationship between ethical leadership and core job characteristics," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.31, pp.259-278, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.627
- J. M. Bonner, R. L. Greenbaum, and D. M. Mayer, "My boss is morally disengaged: The role of ethical leadership in explaining the interactive effect of supervisor and employee moral disengagement on employee behaviors," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.137, pp.731-742, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-014-2366-6
- M. Cording, J. S. Harrison, R. E. Hoskisson, and K. Jonsen, "Walking the talk: A multistakeholder exploration of organizational authenticity, employee productivity, and post-merger performance," The Academy of Management Perspectives, Vol.28, No.1, pp.38-56, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5465/amp.2013.0002
- S. A. Eisenbeib and S. R. Giessner, "The emergence and maintenance of ethical leadership in organizations," Journal of Personnel Psychology, Vol.11, No.1, pp.7-19, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1027/1866-5888/a000055
- L. K. Trevino and A. K. Nelson, Managing business ethics: Straight talk about how to do it right, Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2011.
- A. Bandura, Social learning theory, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1977.
- F. O. Walumbwa, D. M. Mayer, P. Wang, H. Wang, K. Workman, and A. L. Christensen, "Linking ethical leadership to employee performance: The roles of leader-member exchange, self-efficacy, and organizational identification," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol.115, No.2, pp.204-213, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.obhdp.2010.11.002
- J. M. Shaubroeck, S. T. Hannah, B. J. Avolio, S. W. J. Kozlowski, R. G. Lord, K. K. Trevino, N. Dimotakis, and A. C. Peng, "Embedding ethical leadership within and across organization levels," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.55, No.5, pp.1053-1078, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2011.0064
- P. M. Blau, Exchange and power in social life, New York, NY: Wiley, 1964.
- L. J. Williams and S. E. Anderson, "Job satisfaction and organizational commitment as predictors of organizational citizenship and in-role bebavior," Journal of Management, Vol.17, pp.601-617, 1991.
- W. H. Bommer, J. L. Johnson, G. A. Rich, P. M. Podsakoff, and S. B. Mackenzie, "On the interchangeability of objective and subjective measures of employee performance: A meta analysis," Personnel Psychology, Vol.48, pp.587-605, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1995.tb01772.x
- D. Bouckenooghe, A. Zafar, and U. Raja, "How ethical leadership shapes employees' job performance: The mediating roles of goal congruence and psychological capital," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.129, pp.251-264, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-014-2162-3
- F. O. Walumbwa, E. W. Morrison, and A. L. Christensen, "Ethical leadership and group in-role performance: The mediating roles of group conscientiousness and group voice," The Leadership Quarterly, Vol.23, No.5, pp.953-964, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2012.06.004
- A. H. B. De Hoogh and D. N. Den Hartog, "Ethical and despotic leadership, relationships with leader's social responsibility, top management team effectiveness and subordinates'optimism: A multi-method study," The Leadership Quarterly, Vol.19, pp.297-311, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2008.03.002
- F. Luthans, B. J. Avolio, J. B. Avey, and S. M. Norman, Positive psychological capital: Measurement and relationship with performance and satisfaction, Leadership Institute Faculty Publications, paper 11, 2007.
- W. L. Gardner, B. J. Avolio, F. Luthans, D. R. May, and F. Walumbwa, "Can you see the real me? A self-based model of authentic leader and follower development," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.16, No.3, pp.343-372, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2005.03.003
- A. Bandura, Self-efficacy: The exercise of control, New York: Freeman, 1997.
- C. R. Snyder, "Hope theory: Rainbows in the mind," Psychological Inquiry, Vol.13, pp.249-276, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327965PLI1304_01
- S. M. Norman, B. J. Avolio, and F. Luthans, "The impact of positivity and transparency on trust in leaders and their perceived effectiveness," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.21, pp.350-364, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2010.03.002
- M. E. P. Seligman, Learned optimism, New York: Pocket Books, 1998.
- F. Luthans and B. J. Avolio, Authentic leadership development, In K. S. Cameron, J. E. Dutton, & R. E. Quinn (Eds.), Positive organizational scholarship, San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler, pp.241-258, 2003.
- F. Luthans, "The need for and meaning of positive organizational behavior," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.23, pp.695-706, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.165
- C. R. Snyder, Handbook of hope: Theory, measures, and applications, San Diego, CA: Academic Press, 2000.
- A. S. Masten, "Ordinary magic: Resilience processes in development," American Psychologist, Vol.56, pp.227-238, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.56.3.227
- S. J. Peterson, F. Luthans, B. J. Avolio, F. O. Walumbwa, and Z. Zhang, "Psychological capital and employee performance: A latent growth modeling approach," Personnel Psychology, Vol.64, pp.427-450, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2011.01215.x
- E. J. Lawler, S. R. Thye, and J. Yoon, "Emotion and group cohesion in productive exchange," American Journal of Sociology, Vol.106, pp.616-657, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1086/318965
- W. Meyer and B. Rowan, "Institutionalized organizations: Formal structure as myth and ceremony," American Journal of Sociology, Vol.83, No.2, pp.340-363, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1086/226550
- T. MacLean, B. E. Litzky, and D. Kip Holderness, "When organizations don''t walk their talk: A cross-level examination of how decoupling formal ethics programs affects organizational members," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.128, pp.351-368, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-014-2103-1
- S. Yang and L. Zheng, "The paradox of decoupling: A study of flexible work program and workers' productivity," Social Science Research, Vol.40, No.1, pp.299-311, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssresearch.2010.04.005
- G. R. Salancik and J. Pfeffer, "A social information processing approach to job attitudes and task design," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.23, No.2, pp.224-252, 1978. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392563
- M. D. Zalesn and J. K. Ford, "Extending the social information processing perspective: New links to attitudes, behaviors, and perceptions," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Process, Vol.47, pp.205-246, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(90)90037-A
- L. A. Festinger, A theory of cognitive dissonance, Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press, 1957.
- G. R. Weaver, L. K. Trevino, and P. Cochran, "Corporate ethics programs as control systems: Influences of executive commitment and environmental factors," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.42, No.1, pp.41-57, 1999. https://doi.org/10.2307/256873
- A. S. Tsui, Z. Zhang, H. Wang, K. R. Xin, and J. B. Wu, "Unpacking the relationship between CEO leadership behavior and organizational culture," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.17, pp.113-137, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2005.12.001
- P. M. Podsakoff, S. B. MacKenzie, J. Y. Lee, and N. P. Podsakoff, "Common method biases in behavioral research: A critical review literature and recommended remedies," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.88, No.5, pp.879-903, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.88.5.879
- F. Luthans, C. M. Youssef, and B. J. Avolio, Psychological capital: Developing the human competitive edge, Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2007.
- B. Bass and B. Avolio, Multifactor leadership questionnaire(2nd ed.). Redwood City, CA: Mind Garden, 2000.
- D. May, A. Y. L. Chan, T. D. Hodges, and B. Avolio, "Developing the model component of authentic leadership," Organizational Dynamics, Vol.32, pp.247-260, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-2616(03)00032-9
- J. E. Bono and T. A. Judge, "Self-concordance at work: Toward understanding the motivational effects of transformational leaders," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.46, pp.554-571, 2003. https://doi.org/10.2307/30040649
- W. Zhu, B. J. Avolio, R. E. Riggio, and J. J. Sosik, "A theoretical consideration of the effect of transformational leadership on follower and group ethics," The Leadership Quarterly, Vol.22, pp.801-817, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2011.07.004
- D. M. Mayer, K. Aquino, R. L. Greenbaum, and M. Kuenzi, "Who displays ethical leadership, and why does it matter? An examination of antecedents and consequences of ethical leadership, Academy of Management Journal, Vol.55, No.1, pp.151-171, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2008.0276
- T. W. H. Ng, and D. C. Feldman, "Organizational tenure and performance," Journal of Management, Vol.36, pp.1220-1250, 2010.
- Y. Shin, S. Y. Sung, J. N. Choi, and M. S. Kim, "Top management ethical leadership and firm performance: Mediating role of ethical and procedural justice climate," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.129, pp.43-47, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-014-2144-5
- K. G. Joreskog and D. Sorbom, LISREL8: Structural equation modeling with the SIMPLIS command language, Chicago, IL: Scientific Software International, Inc. 1993.
- J. L. Arbuckle, Amos user''s guide: Version 3.6, Chicago, SmallWaters Corp, 1997.
- J. C. Nunnally, and I. H. Bernstein, Psychometric theory(3rd ed.), New York: McGraw Hill, 1994.
- P. Ruiz, C. Ruiz, and R. Martinez, "Improving the "leader-follower" relationship: Top manager or supervisor? The ethical leadership trickle-down effect on follower job response," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.99, pp.587-608, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-010-0670-3
- L. Heres, "What's the Difference? Ethical leadership in public, hybrid and private sector organizations," Journal of Change Management, Vol.12, No.4, pp.441-466, 2010.