- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
University Students' Perceptions of NESTs' and NNESTs' Class Management in English Conversation Classes of an English Camp
영어캠프에서 원어민과 비원어민 교수의 수업운영에 대한 대학생들의 인식 연구
- 방준 (부산광역시영재교육진흥원)
- Received : 2017.01.02
- Accepted : 2017.01.31
- Published : 2017.04.28
The purpose of this paper was to explore university students' perceptions on NEST(Native English-speaking Teacher)s and NNEST(Nonnative English-speaking Teacher)s who taught in an English camp of A university. 172 university students participating in the English camp during the vacation were asked to fill out a questionnaire including the satisfaction with the camp, NESTs' and NNESTs' general teaching qualifications, class management, and teaching contents. The data were analyzed through frequency, Pearson's Chi-square test and Fisher exact test. The research found that students were satisfied with NESTs' and NNESTs' classes in the camp. The students recognized that NESTs offered interesting classes while NNESTs prepared and taught the classes well. They also pointed out that NESTs instantly managed classes while NNESTs tended to rely on textbooks and offered more materials in classes. They realized that NNESTs focused more on English speaking, gave students more feedbacks about students' outcomes, and communicated with students more effectively. The paper provides pedagogical implications for more effective NESTs' and NNESTs' teaching.
High Education;Native English-speaking Teachers;Nonnative English-speaking Teachers;University Students' Perceptions;English Camp
- 김성애, "새천년과 한국 영어교육의 과제," 새한영어영문학, 제42권, 제1호, pp.25-37, 2000.
- V. Cook, "Going Beyond the Native Speaker in Language Teaching," TESOL Quarterly, Vol.33, No.2, pp.185-209, 1999. https://doi.org/10.2307/3587717
- Y. Goto-Butler, "How are Nonnative English-speaking Teachers Perceived by Young Learners?," TESOL Quarterly, Vol.41, No.1, pp.731-755, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1545-7249.2007.tb00101.x
- K. Liang, "English as a Second Language(ESL) Students' Perceptions of Native and Non-native Speaker Teachers of English," Language Awareness, Vol.11, No.2, pp.132-142, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/09658410208667051
- A. Mahboob, "Native or Nonnative: What do Students Enrolled in an Intensive English Program Think?" In Kamhi-Stein (Ed.), Learning and Teaching from Experience: Perspectives on Nonnative English-speaking Professionals, University of Michigan Press, 2004
- 김미영, "교양영어 및 팀티칭에 대한 학습자의 인식과 만족도 연구," 코기토, 제74호, pp.105-126, 2013.
- 임남실, "원어민 교수와 협력수업에서 영어학습 및 국제화 교육에 대한 제2언어 학습자들의 효율성 인식 연구," 교양교육연구, 제9호, 제1호, pp.123-148, 2015.
- K. M. Klemsen and M. H. Seong, "Who is More Effective in Teaching TOEIC, Korean or Native English Teacher?," English Language & Literature Teaching, Vol.18, No.1, pp.133-151, 2012.
- P. Medgyes, "Native or Non-native: Who's Worth More?," ELT Journal, Vol.46, No.4, pp.340-349, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1093/elt/46.4.340
- E. Benke and P. Medgyes, "Differences in Teaching Behavior between Native and Non-native Speaker Teacher: As Seen by the Learners," In E. Llurda (Ed.), Nonnative Language Teachers: Perceptions, Challenges, and Contributions to the Profession, Springer, 2005.
- K. K. Sammy and J. Brutt-Griffler, "To be a Native or Non-native Speaker: Perceptions of Non-native Students in a Graduate TESOL Program," In G. Braine (Ed.), Non-native Educators in English Language Teaching, Lawrence Erbaum, 1999.
- C. Tang, "The Identity of the Nonnative ESL Teacher: On the Power and Status of Nonnative ESL Teachers," TESOL Quarterly, Vol.31, No.3, pp.577-580, 1997. https://doi.org/10.2307/3587840
- L. Moussou and G. Braine, "The Attitudes of ESL Students toward Nonnative English Language Teachers," TESL Reporter, Vol.39, No.1, pp.33-47, 2006.
- O. Tarnpolsky, "EFL Teaching and EFL Teachers in the Global Expansion of English," Working Papers in Educational Linguistics, Vol.16, No.2, pp.25-42, 2000.
- L. Moussu, English as a Second Language Students' Reactions to Nonnative English-speaking Teachers, Master's thesis, Brigham Young University, 2002.
- D. Lasagabaster and J. M. Sierra, "University Students' Perceptions of Native and Non-native Speaker Teachers of English," Language Awareness, Vol.11, No.2, pp.132-142, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/09658410208667051
- L. P. Ma, "Strengths and Weakness of NESTs and NNESTs: Perceptions of NNESTs in Hong Kong," Linguistics and Education, Vol.23, pp.1-15, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.linged.2011.09.005
- E. S. Park, "The Korean University Students' Preferences toward Native English Speaking Teachers," Modern English Education, Vol.10, No.3, pp.114-129, 2009.
- T. S. Yang, "Korean University Students' Perception about Native and Non-native English Speaking Teachers in TEE Courses," English Language & Literature Teaching, Vol.17, No.3, pp.237-254, 2011.
- K. Matsuda, "Teacher Development through Native Speaker/nonnative Speaker Collaboration," TESOL Matter, Vol.9, No.5, 1999.
- J. S. Choi, "High and Low English Level Students' Perceptions on Team Teaching by Native and Non-native English Speaking Teachers," The New Studies of English Language & Literature, Vol.62, pp.265-291, 2015.