- Volume 17 Issue 4
Although there have been continued researches on the effect of fatigue among organization members on organizations, there has been an absence of studies on sub-factors of organizational commitment using Saito(1999)'s whole questionnaire. Therefore, this study aimed to measure the level of fatigue among police officers and empirically examine the effect of fatigue on organizational commitment. Based on the previous studies, fatigue(mental fatigue and physical fatigue) of police officers and physical disharmony were selected as independent variables, and organizational commitment(affective commitment, continuance commitment and normative commitment) was selected as a dependent variable. The meanings and the implications of this study are as follows. First, from a theoretical perspective, this study has significance as the first study, which used Saito(1999)'s whole scale and examined the relationship between sub-variables of organizational commitment in a police organization. This study also confirms the importance of fatigue management for organization managers. Second, from a perspective of organization management, this study implies that effort should be made to measure fatigue of police officers, who have 5 to 10 years of service and work as Senior patrol and sergeants and manage it actively on an organizational level, and there is a need to develop a training program for improving their attitudes towards organizations.
Mental Fatigue;Physical Fatigue;Affective Commitment;Continuance Commitment;Normative Commitment
- 주재진, "경찰공무원의 감정노동이 소진에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구," 한국공안행정학회보, Vol.42, pp.223-256, 2012.
- R. G. Pearson, "Scale analysis of fatigue checklist," Journal of Applied psychology, Vol.41, No.3, pp.186-191, 1957. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0045095
- K. Saito, "Measurement of Fatigue in Industries," Industrial Health, Vol.37, pp.134-142, 1999. https://doi.org/10.2486/indhealth.37.134
- D. E. Parker and T. A. Decotiis, "Organizational Determinanants of Job Stress," Organization: Behavior and Human Performance, Vol.32, pp.160-177, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(83)90145-9
- 정우일, 경찰공무원의 피로 수준의 영향요인에 관한 연구, 동국대학교 대학원, 박사학위논문, 2007.
- 박병두, 경찰공무원의 피로가 직무태도에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구, 원광대학교 대학원, 박사학위논문, 2008.
- D. A. Mattews, P. Manus, and T. J. Lane, "Evaluation and management of patients with chronic fatigue," American Journal of The Medical Sciences, Vol.302, pp.269-277, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000441-199111000-00002
- 장세진, "피로", 대한예방의학회 (편저), 건강통계자료 수집 및 측정의 표준화, 계축문화사, pp.144-181, 2000.
- T. Chalder, G. Berelowitz, T. Pawlikowska, T. Chalder, G. Berelowitz, and T. Pawlikowska, "Development of a fatigue scale," Journal of Psychosomatic Research, Vol.37, pp.147-153, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3999(93)90081-P
- J. E. Schwartz, L. Jandorf, and L. B. Krupp, "The measurement of fatigue: a new instrument," Journal of Psychosomatic Research, Vol.37, No.7, pp.753-762, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3999(93)90104-N
- L. Christensen and M. Piper-Terry, "Comparison of Psychometric Measures of Fatigue," Social Behavior and Personality, Vol.32, No.3, pp.227-234, 2004.
- E. M. A. Smets, B. Garssen, B. Bronke, and J. C. J. M. DeHaes, "The Multidimensional Fatigue Inventory(MFI): Psychometric Qualities of an Instrument to Assess Fatigue," Journal of Psychosomatic Research, Vol.3, pp.315-325, 1995.
- 최응렬, 박주상, "교대근무 경찰공무원의 수면장애, 피로 및 직무스트레스의 관계에 관한 연구," 경찰학논총, Vol.5, No.1, pp.25-53, 2010.
- 김순석, 이도선, "경찰 유치근무자의 피로심리 수준에 관한 연구," 한국범죄심리연구, Vol.21, pp.55-70, 2013.
- 박주상, "교대근무 경찰공무원의 수면장애, 피로, 직무만족 및 삶의 질의 관계," 한국경찰학회보, Vol.15, No.3, pp.53-70, 2013.
- Charles A. O'Reilly, III and J. Chatman, "Organizational Commitment and Psychological Attachment: The Effects of Compliance, Identification, and Internalization on Prosocial Behavior," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.71, No.1, pp.492-499, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.71.3.492
- N. J. Allen and J. P. Meyer, "The measurement and antecedents of affective, continuance and normative commitment to the organization," Journal of Occupational and organizational Psychology, Vol.63, No.2, pp.1-18, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.1990.tb00506.x