- Volume 17 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Influence of forgiveness on the Marital Satisfaction: Mediating Effect of Positive Communication
용서가 결혼만족에 미치는 영향: 긍정적 의사소통의 매개효과
- 정문경 (한세대학교 대학원 상담학과)
- Received : 2017.01.16
- Accepted : 2017.02.02
- Published : 2017.04.28
The purpose of this study is to find out the mediating effects of positive communication on the relationship between level of forgiveness and marital satisfaction of married men and women. For this purpose, a total of 300 married men and women were surveyed using the Rye forgiveness level, positive communication scale, and marital satisfaction scale. The collected data were analyzed through structural equation modeling. First, there was a correlation between the level of forgiveness of married men and women, positive communication, positive communication, marital satisfaction, forgiveness and marital satisfaction. Second, forgiveness of married men and women affects marital satisfaction through fully mediating effect of positive communication. This suggests that the higher the level of forgiveness of married men and women, the higher the positive communication and the higher the marital satisfaction. Based on these results, the implications and limitations of this study and suggestions for future research were suggested.
Forgiveness;Positive Communication;Marital Satisfaction;Mediating Effect
- B. R. Karney and T. N. Bradbury, "The longitudinal course of marital quality and stability:A review of theory, methods, and research," Psychological bulletin, Vol.118, No.1, p.3, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.118.1.3
- 김희진, "결혼초기 부부관계향상 프로그램 개발에 관한 연구-긍정주의 심리치료 접근 중심으로," 한국심리학회지: 상담 및 심리치료, 제17권, 제4호, pp.877-906, 2005.
- L. C. Burpee and E. J. Langer, "Mindfulness and Marital Satisfaction," Journal of Adult Development, Vol.12, No.1, pp.43-51, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10804-005-1281-6
- C. M. K. Dush and P. R. Amato, "Consequences of relationship status and quality for subjective well-being," Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, Vol.22, No.5, pp.607-627, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1177/0265407505056438
- G. K. Rhoades, C. M. Kamp Dush, D. C. Atkins, S. M. Stanley, and H. J. Markman, "Breaking up is hard to do: the impact of unmarried relationship dissolution on mental health and life satisfaction," Journal of Family Psychology, Vol.25, No.3, p.366, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0023627
- P. R. Amato, "Consequences of divorce for adults and children," Journal of Marriage and the Family, Vol.62, pp.1269-1287, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-3737.2000.01269.x
- A. Thomas and L. Sawhill, "For love or money? The impact of family structure on family income," Marriage and Child Well Being, Vol.15, pp.57-74, 2005.
- J. Reardon-Anderson, M. Stagner, J. Macomber, and J. Murray, Systematic Reviewof the Impact of Marriage and Relationship Programs, Washington, DC: Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, 2005.
- J. K. Kiecolt-Glaser and T. L. Newton, "Marriage and health: his and hers," Psychological bulletin, Vol.127, No.4, p.472, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.127.4.472
- R. A. Hunt, L. Hof, and R. DeMaria, Marriage enrichment: Preparation, mentoring, and outreach, Psychology Press, 1999.
- J. Gottman, What Predicts Divorce?: The Relationship Between Marital Processes and Marital Outcomes, Psychology Press, 2014.
- F. D. Fincham and S. R. Beach, "Conflict in marriage: Implications for working with couples," Annual review of psychology, Vol.50, No.1, pp.47-77, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.50.1.47
- P. R. Amato and B. Keith, "Consequences of parental divorce for children's well-being: A meta-analysis," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.110, pp.26-46, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.110.1.26
- B. S. Meeks, S. S. Hendrick, and C. Hendrick, "Communication, love and relationship satisfaction," Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, Vol.15, No.6, pp.755-773, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1177/0265407598156003
- W. K. Halford, H. J. Markman, G. H. Kling, and S. M. Stanley, "Best practice in couple relationship education," Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, Vol.29, No.3, pp.385-406, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-0606.2003.tb01214.x
- W. K. Halford, H. J. Markman, and S. Stanley, "Strengthening couples's relationships with education: Social policy and public health perspectives," Journal of Family Psychology, Vol.22, No.3, pp.497-505, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0012789
- H. J. Markman and K. Hahlweg, "The prediction and prevention of marital distress: An international perspective," Clinical Psychology Review, Vol.13 pp.29-43, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1016/0272-7358(93)90006-8
- S. Jekielek, J. Bronte-Tinkew, L. Guzman, S. Ryan, and Z. Redd,What is Healthy Marriage?: Defining the Concept, Washington, DC: Child Trends, 2004.
- S. M. Stanley, H. J. Markman, and S. W. Whitton, "Communication, conflict, and commitment: Insights on the foundations of relationship success from a national survey," Family process, Vol.41, No.4, pp.659-675, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1545-5300.2002.00659.x
- J. M. Lewis, L. Johnson-Reitz, and J. S. Wallerstein, "Communication in divorced and single-parent families," In A. L. Vangelisti(Ed.) Handbook of family communication, pp.197-214, 2004.
- P. Noller and M. A. Fitzpatrick, "Marital Communication in the Eighties," Journal of Marriage and the Family, Vol.52, No.4, pp.832-843, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2307/353305
- 이정순, 부부간 커뮤니케이션 유형에 관한 연구, 이화여자대학교 대학원, 박사학위 논문1991
- 고현선, "부부의 갈등대처유형이 결혼만족도에 미치는 영향," 한국 가정관리학회지, 제13권, 제4호, pp.71-83, 1995.
- D. L. Fenell, "Characteristics of long-term first marriages," Journal of Mental Health Counseling, Vol.15, No.4, pp.446-460, 1993.
- S. R. Freedman and R. D. Enright, "Forgiveness as an intervention goal with incest survivors," Journal of consulting and clinical psychology, Vol.64, No.5, p.983, 1993.
- E. L. Worthington Jr. and N. G. Wade, "The psychology of unforgiveness and forgiveness and implications for clinical practice," Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, Vol.18, No.4, pp.385-418, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1521/jscp.1922.214.171.1245
- F. D. Fincham, S. R. H. Beach, and J. Davila, "Forgiveness and conflict resolution in marriage," Journal of Family Psychology, Vol.18, No.1, pp.72-81, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1037/0893-3126.96.36.199
- E. L. Worthington, B. J. Griffin, and J. W. Berry, "Forgiveness-Reconciliation and Communication- Conflict-Resolution Interventions Versus Retested Controls in Early Married Couples," Journal of Counseling Psychology, Vol.62, No.1, pp.14-27, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1037/cou0000045
- M. E. McCllough and C. V. Witvliet, "The psychology of forgiveness," Handbook of positive psychology, Vol.2, pp.446-455, 2002.
- M. S. Rye, D. M. Loiacono, C. D. Folck, B. T. Olszewski, T. A. Heim, and B. P. Madia, "Evaluation of the psychometric properties of two forgiveness scales," Current Psychology: Developmental.Learning.Personality.Social, Vol.20, pp.260-277, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12144-001-1011-6
- 정성진, 용서과정 척도 개발, 가톨릭대학교 대학원, 박사학위논문, 2011.
- M. J. Bienvenu, "Measurement of Marital Communication," The Family Coordinator, Vol.19, No.1, pp.26-31, 1970. https://doi.org/10.2307/582142
- R. Norton, "Measuring marital quality: A critical look at the dependent variable," Journal of Marriage and Family, Vol.45, No.1, pp.141-151, 1983. https://doi.org/10.2307/351302
- 김민희, 민경환, "중년기 부부의 애착과 결혼만족: 애착유형과 결혼만족의 매개요인을 중심으로," 한국노년학, 제27권, 제1호, pp.213-233, 2007.
- 홍세희, "구조방정식 모형의 적합도 지수 선정기준과 그 근거," 한국심리학회: 임상, 제19권, 제1 호, pp.161-177, 2000.
- P. E. Shrout and N. Bolger, "Mediation in experimental and nonexperimental studies: New procedures and recommendations," Psychological Methods, Vol.7, pp.422-445, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989X.7.4.422
- 권윤아, 김득성, "부부간 역기능적 의사소통 행동 척도 개발," 대한가정학회지, 제46권, 제6호, pp.110-113, 2008.
- R. Sarah, K. D. Renshaw, and T. W. Curby, "Emotion Regulation and Perceptions of Hostile and Constructive Criticism in Romantic Relationships," Behavior Therapy, Vol.47, Issue 2, pp.143-154, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beth.2015.10.007
- A. Sillars, D. J. Canary, and M. Tafoya, "Communication, conflict, and the quality of family relationships," In A. L. Vangelisti(Ed.), Handbook of family communication, Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, pp.413-446.
- J. K. McNulty, "Forgiveness in marriage: Putting the benefits into context," Journal of Family Psychology, Vol.22, pp.171-175, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1037/0893-3188.8.131.52
- S. R. Braithwaite, E. A. Selby, and F. D. Fincham, "Forgiveness and Relationship satisfaction: Mediating Mechanisms," Journal of Family Psychology, Vol.25, No.4, pp.551-559, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0024526
- S. E. Mackay, "Communication within romantic relationships," at http://scholar.uwindsor.ca/uwilldiscover, 2016.