- Volume 41 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Strength Estimation of Die Cast Beams Considering Equivalent Porous Defects
다이캐스팅 보의 등가 기공결함을 고려한 강도평가
- Park, Moon Shik (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hannam Univ.)
- 박문식 (한남대학교 기계공학과)
- Received : 2016.02.15
- Accepted : 2016.12.28
- Published : 2017.05.01
As a shop practice, a strength estimation method for die cast parts is suggested, in which various defects such as pores can be allowed. The equivalent porosity is evaluated by combining the stiffness data from a simple elastic test at the part level during the shop practice and the theoretical stiffness data, which are defect free. A porosity equation is derived from Eshelby's inclusion theory. Then, using the Mori-Tanaka method, the porosity value is used to draw a stress-strain curve for the porous material. In this paper, the Hollomon equation is used to capture the strain hardening effect. This stress-strain curve can be used to estimate the strength of a die cast part with porous defects. An elastoplastic theoretical solution is derived for the three-point bending of a die cast beam by using the plastic hinge method as a reference solution for a part with porous defects.
Die Casting;Porosity;Mori-Tanaka Method;Plastic Hinge;Three Point Bent Beam;Finite Element Method
Supported by : 한남대학교
- NADCA, 2015, NADCA Product Specification Standards for Die Castings, North American Die Casting Association, Illinois, pp. 3-1-3-46.
- IAI, 2009, Global Aluminium Recycling: A Cornerstone of Sustainable Development, International Aluminium Institute, London, pp. 1-36.
- Kaufman, J. G. and Rooy, E. L., 2004, Aluminum Alloy Castings: Properties, Processes and Applications, ASM International, Ohio, pp. 39-54.
- Totten, G. E., Funatani, K. and Xie, L., 2004, Handbook of Metallurgical Process Design, Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, pp. 368-370.
- Major, J., 1998, "Porosity Control and Fatigue Behavior in A356-T61 Aluminum Alloy," Transactions-American Foundrymens Society, pp. 901-906.
- Avalle, M., Belingardi, G., Cavatorta, M. P. and Doglione, R., 2002, "Casting Defects and Fatigue Strength of a Die Cast Aluminium Alloy: a Comparison Between Standard Specimens and Production Components," International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-1123(01)00112-8
- Kuwazuru, O., Murata, Y., Hangai, Y., Utsunomiya, T., Kitahara, S. and Yoshikawa, N., 2008, "X-ray CT Inspection for Porosities and its Effect on Fatigue of Die Cast Aluminium Alloy," Journal of Solid Mechanics and Materials Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 9, pp. 1220-1231. https://doi.org/10.1299/jmmp.2.1220
- Zhao, H. D., Wang, F., Li, Y. Y. and Xia, W., 2009, "Experimental and Numerical Analysis of Gas Entrapment Defects in Plate ADC12 Die Castings," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 209, No. 9, pp. 4537-4542. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2008.10.028
- Irfan, M. A., Schwam, D., Karve, A. and Ryder, R., 2012, "Porosity Reduction and Mechanical Properties Improvement in Die Cast Engine Blocks," Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 535, pp. 108-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2011.12.049
- Aziz Ahamed, A. K. M. and Kato, H., 2014, "Influence of Casting Defects on Tensile Propertiesof ADC12 Aluminum Alloy Die-Castings," Materials Transactions, Vol. 49, No. 7, pp. 1621-1628.
- Eshelby, J. D., 1957, "The Determination of the Elastic Field of an Ellipsoidal Inclusion and Related Problems," Proceedings of the Royal Society A, Vol. 241, No. 1226, pp. 376-396. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspa.1957.0133
- Mori, T. and Tanaka, K., 1973, "Average Stress in the Matrix and Average Elastic Energy of Materials with Misfitting Inclusions," Acta Metallurgica, Vol. 21, pp. 571-574. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-6160(73)90064-3
- Park, M. S., 2014, "An Enhanced Mean Field Material Model Incorporating Dislocation Strengthening for Particle Reinforced Metal Matrix Composites," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 28, No. 7, pp. 2587-2594. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-014-0615-3
- Weng, G., 1990, "The Overall Elastoplastic Stress-strain Relations of Dual-phase Metals," Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Vol. 38, No. 3, pp. 419-441. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-5096(90)90007-Q
- Federico, S., 2010, "On the Linear Elasticity of Porous Materials," International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 175-182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2009.09.006
- Kwon, Y. and Park, M. S., 2013, "Versatile Micromechanics Model for Multiscale Analysis of Composite Structures," Applied Composite Materials, Vol. 20, pp. 673-692. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10443-012-9292-5
- Yu, T. X. and Zhang, L. C., 1996, Plastic Bending: Theory and Applications, World Scientific Publishing Co., Singapore, pp. 7-50.