- Volume 41 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Investigation of Brake Squeal with Contact Stiffness Variation Using Experiment and FE Simulation
패드 접촉강성 변화에 따른 FE스퀼해석법 및 실험 검증
- Park, Kiwan (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Kongju Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Nam, Jaehyeon (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Kongju Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Kang, Jaeyoung (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Kongju Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2016.07.11
- Accepted : 2017.02.08
- Published : 2017.05.01
In this study, squeal noise with respect to pressure variation is measured by a lab-scaled brake dynamometer and estimated by a complex finite element (FE) eigenvalue analysis. From the FE eigenvalue sensitivity analysis, unstable frequencies occur due to a mode-coupling mechanism and are found to change with variation in contact stiffness. In the experiment, squeal frequencies near 1 kHz, 2.5 kHz, 3.5 kHz, and 4 kHz are increased with pressure variation. The sensitivity of squeal modes to contact stiffness variation obtained from the FE analysis is shown to approximate the variation of squeal frequencies under pressure variation in the experiment.
Squeal Noise;Contact Stiffness;Finite Element Method;Complex Eigenvalue Analysis
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Liu, P., Zheng, H., Cai, C., Wang, YY., Lu, C., Ang, KH. and Liu, GR., 2007, "Analysis of Disc Brake Squeal using the Complex Eigenvalue Method," Applied Acoustics, Vol. 68, No. 6, pp. 603-615. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apacoust.2006.03.012
- Kung, SW., Dunlap, KB. and Ballinger, RS., 2000, "Complex Eigenvalue Analysis for Reducing Low Frequency Brake Squeal," 2000-01-0444, SAE, Warrendale, PA.
- Ghazaly, NM., Mohammed, S. and Abd-El-Tawwab, AM., 2012, "Understanding Mode-coupling Mechanism of Brake Squeal Using Finite Element Analysis," International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 241-250.
- Massi, F., Giannini, O. and Baillet, L., 2006, "Brake Squeal as Dynamic Instability: An Experiment Investigation," The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 120, No. 3, pp. 1388-1399. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.2228745
- Nam, J. and Kang, J., 2014, "Investigation of Friction Noise with Respect to Friction Curve by Using FEM and Its Validation," Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 28-34. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2014.24.1.028
- Nam, J. and Kang, J., 2012, " Unstable Brake Pad Mode Due to Friction-velocity Slope," Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. s22, No. 12, pp. 1206-1212.
- Choi, H., Kang, J. and Gil, H., 2014, "Numerical and Experimental Analysis for Disc Brake Squeal Induced by Caliper Mode," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 38, No. 12, pp. 1351-1358. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2014.38.12.1351
- Kang, J., Krousgrill, CM. and Sadeghi, F., 2009, "Analytical Formulation of Mode-coupling Instability in Disc-pad Coupled System," International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 51, No. 1, pp. 52-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2008.11.002
- Rusli, M. and Okuma, M., 2007, "Effect of Surface Topography on Mode-coupling Model of Dry Contact Sliding Systems," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 308, No. 3-5, pp. 721-734. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2007.03.046
- Kang, J., 2014, "Effect of Contact Stiffness on Brake Squeal Analysis Using Analytical FE Squeal Model," Transaction of the KSNVE, Vol. 24, No. 10, pp. 749-755. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2014.24.10.749
- Nam, J. and Kang, J., 2013, "Brake Squeal Analysis with Respect to Caliper Contact Stiffness," Transactions of the KSNVE, Vol. 23, No. 8, pp. 717-724. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2013.23.8.717
- Huang, J., Krousgrill, CM. and Bajaj, AK., 2009, "An Efficient Approach to Estimate Critical Value of Friction Coefficient and Sensitivity Analysis for Brake Squeal," International Journal of Vehicle Design, Vol. 51, No. 1-2, pp. 534-541.
- Kang, J., 2009, "Linear Stability Analysis of a Rotating Disc Brake for Squeal Noise," Transactions of the KSNVE, Vol. 19, No. 10, pp. 1092-1098. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVN.2009.19.10.1092
- Vanderlugt, D.N., 2004, "Analytical and Experimental Study of Automotive Disc Brake Squeal Vibration," Master Thesis, Purdue University, pp. 58-72.