- Volume 41 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effects of Cutting Speed and Feed Rate on Axial Shape in Side Walls Generated by Flat End-milling Process
평엔드밀링 공정에서 절삭속도 및 이송속도가 측벽의 축방향 형상에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Kang (School of Mechanical Engineering, Kookmin Univ.)
- 김강 (국민대학교 기계공학부)
- Received : 2016.11.25
- Accepted : 2017.01.05
- Published : 2017.05.01
This paper presents the effects of the cutting speed and feed rate on the axial shape of flat end-milled down cut side walls. Experiments were performed using the cutting speed, tool diameter, and feed per tooth as variables, and the thrust force and axial shape were measured as the experimental results. The results of this study confirmed that a smaller feed per tooth, which is proportional to the value obtained by dividing the feed rate by the cutting speed, results in a higher axial shape accuracy. In addition, the axial shape can be simplified to a form in which two straight lines having different slopes meet at a singular point. Therefore, it was concluded that the shape accuracy could easily be estimated during the operation and improved by adjusting the feed per tooth.
Flat End-milling Process;Down Cut;Cutting Speed;Feed Rate;Feed per Tooth;Axial Shape;Side Walls
- Kline, W. A., DeVor, R. E. and Lindberg, J. R., 1982, "The Prediction of Cutting Forces in End Milling with Application to Cornering Cuts," Int. J. Mach. Tool Design Research, Vol. 22, pp. 7-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7357(82)90016-6
- Kline, W. A., DeVor, R. E. and Shareef, I. A., 1982, "The Prediction of Surface Accuracy in End Milling," ASME J. of Eng. for Ind., Vol. 104, pp. 272-278. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3185830
- Kline, W. A. and DeVor, R. E., 1983, "The Effect of Runout on Cutting Geometry and Forces in End Milling," Int. J. Mach. Tool Design Research, Vol. 23, pp. 123-140. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7357(83)90012-4
- Sutherland, J. W. and DeVor, R. E., 1986, "An Improved Method for Cutting Force and Surface Error Prediction in Flexible End Milling Systems," ASME J. of Eng. for Ind., Vol. 108, pp. 269-279. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3187077
- Budak, E. and Altinras, Y., 1994, "Peripheral Milling Conditions for Improved Dimensional Accuracy," Int. J. Mach. Tool Manu., Vol. 34, pp. 907-918. https://doi.org/10.1016/0890-6955(94)90024-8
- Elbestawi, M. A., Ismail. F. and Yuen, K. M., 1994, "Surface Topography Characterization in Finish Milling," Int. J. Mach. Tool Manu., Vol. 34, pp. 245-255. https://doi.org/10.1016/0890-6955(94)90104-X
- Yang, M. Y. and Choi, J. G., 1997, "On-line Tool Deflection Compensation System for Precision Endmilling," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 189-198.
- Lee, S. K. and Ko, S. L., 1999, "Analysis on the Precision Machining in End Milling Operation by Simulating Surface Generation," J. of the KSPE, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 229-236.
- Ryu, S. H., Kim, M. T., Choi, D. K. and Chu, C. N., 1999, "Plane Surface Generation with a Flat End Mill," J. of the KSPE, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 234-243.
- Ryu, S. H., Choi, D. K. and Chu, C. N., 2003, "Optimal Cutting Condition in Side Wall Milling Considering Form Accuracy," J. of the KSPE, Vol. 20, No. 10, pp. 31-40.
- Ryu, S. H. and Chu, C. N., 2004, "Form Error Prediction in Side Wall Milling Considering Tool Deflection," J. of the KSPE, Vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 43-51.
- Song, T. S., Ko, T. J., Kim, H. S. and Lee, J. H., 2007, "Study on the Change of Cutting Force Direction in Endmilling," J. of the KSPE, Vol. 24, No. 10, pp. 37-45.
- Kim, K., 2015, "Relationship Between Flat End-mill Shape and Geometrical Characteristics in Side Walls Generated by End-milling Process," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 95-103. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2015.39.1.095
- Kim, K., 2007, "Unavoidable Geometric Errors in the Side Walls of End-milled Parts -Flat Surface-," J. of Mech. Sci. and Tech., Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 48-56. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03161711
- Lee, K. S. and Kim, K., 2008, "Unavoidable Geometric Errors in the Side Walls of End-milled Parts - Cylindrical Surface-," J. of Mech. Sci. and Tech., Vol. 22, pp. 1-9.
- Lee, K. S. and Kim, K., 2009, "Analysis of Unavoidable Geometric Errors in the Side Wall of End-milled Parts for Corner Surface," J. of Mech. Sci. and Tech., Vol. 23, pp. 525-535. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-008-1129-7
- Kim, K., 2013, "Effects of Cutting Area on Straightness Characteristics in Side Walls Caused by Form Generation Mechanism in End-Milling Process," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 37, No. 10, pp. 1269-1278. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2013.37.10.1269