- Volume 41 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Damage Detection on Thin-walled Structures Utilizing Laser Scanning and Standing Waves
레이저 스캐닝 및 정상파를 이용한 평판 구조물의 손상탐지
- Kang, Se Hyeok (School of Mechanical Engineering, Chonnam Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Jeon, Jun Young (School of Mechanical Engineering, Chonnam Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Kim, Du Hwan (School of Mechanical Engineering, Chonnam Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Park, Gyuhae (School of Mechanical Engineering, Chonnam Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Kang, To (Nuclear Convergence Technology Division, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Han, Soon Woo (Nuclear Convergence Technology Division, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute)
- 강세혁 (전남대학교 기계공학부) ;
- 전준영 (전남대학교 기계공학부) ;
- 김두환 (전남대학교 기계공학부) ;
- 박규해 (전남대학교 기계공학부) ;
- 강토 (한국원자력연구원) ;
- 한순우 (한국원자력연구원)
- Received : 2016.11.29
- Accepted : 2017.01.04
- Published : 2017.05.01
This paper describes wavenumber filtering for damage detection using single-frequency standing wave excitation and laser scanning sensing. An embedded piezoelectric sensor generates ultrasonic standing waves, and the responses are measured using a laser Doppler vibrometer and mirror tilting device. After scanning, newly developed damage detection techniques based on wavenumber filtering are applied to the full standing wave field. To demonstrate the performance of the proposed techniques, several experiments were performed on composite plates with delamination and aluminum plates with corrosion damage. The results demonstrated that the developed techniques could be applied to various structures to localize the damage, with the potential to improve the damage detection capability at a high interrogation speed.
Laser Doppler Vibrometery;Damage Detection;Wave Propagation;Wavenumber Filtering
Supported by : 교육과학기술부, 한국연구재단, 미래창조과학부
- Lee, J. H. and Lee, S. J., 2009, "Application of Laser-Generated Guided Wave for Evaluation of Corrosion in Carbon Steel Pipe," NDT & E International, Vol. 42, No. 3, pp. 222-227. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ndteint.2008.09.011
- Abramowicz, W., 2003, "Thin-Walled Structures as Impact Energy Absorbers," Thin-Walled Structures, Vol. 41, No. 2, pp. 91-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8231(02)00082-4
- Mandache, C., Levesque, D., Dubourg, L. and Gougeon, P., 2012, "Non-Destructive Detection of Lack of Penetration Defects in Friction Stir Welds," Science and Technology of Welding and Joining, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 295-303. https://doi.org/10.1179/1362171812Y.0000000007
- Philip, J., Rao, C. B., Jayakumar, T. and Raj, B., 2000, "A New Optical Technique for Detection of Defects in Ferromagnetic Materials and Components," NDT & E International, Vol 33, No. 5, pp. 289-295. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-8695(99)00052-3
- LEE, J. H., Lee, B. S. and Lee, M. R., 2005, "Finite Element Analysis for Eddy Current Signal of Aluminum Plate with Surface Breaking Crack," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 29, No. 10, pp. 1336-1343. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2005.29.10.1336
- Kim, J. W. and Yun, K. W., 2013, "Evaluation of Improvement of Detection Capability of Infrared Thermography Tests for Wall-Thinning Defects in Piping Components by Applying Lock-in Mode," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 37, No. 9, pp. 1175-1182.
- Hasiotis, T., Badogiannis, E. and Tsouvalis, N. T., 2011, "Application of Ultrasonic C-Scan Techniques for Tracing Defects in Laminated Composite Materials," Strojniski Vestnik-Journal of Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 57, No. 3, pp. 192-203.
- Lee, J. R., Jeong, H. M., Ciang, C. C., Yoon, D. J. and Lee, S. S., 2010, "Application of Ultrasonic Wave Propagation Imaging Method to Automatic Damage Visualization of Nuclear Power Plant Pipeline," Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol. 240, No. 10, pp. 3513-3520. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2010.06.011
- Jeong, H. M., Lee, J. R. and Park, C. Y., 2012, "Advances in Hardware of Ultrasonic Propagation Imaging System," Journal of the Korean Society for Nondestructive Testing, Vol. 32, No. 2, pp. 214-219. https://doi.org/10.7779/JKSNT.2012.32.2.214
- Lee, J. R., Chong, S. Y., Jeong, H. and Kong, C. W., 2011, "A Time-of-Flight Mapping Method for Laser Ultrasound Guided in a Pipe and its Application to Wall Thinning Visualization," NDT & E International, Vol. 44, No. 8, pp. 680-691. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ndteint.2011.07.005
- Rogge, M. D., and Leckey, C. A. C., 2013, "Characterization of Impact Damage in Composite Laminates Using Guided Wavefield Imaging and Local Wavenumber Domain Analysis," Ultrasonics, Vol. 53, No. 7, pp. 1217-1226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultras.2012.12.015
- Mesnil, O., Leckey, C. A. C. and Ruzzene, M., 2014, "Instantaneous and Local Wavenumber Estimations for Damage Quantification in Composites," Structural Health Monitoring, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 193-204.
- Kudela, P., Radzienski, M., Ostachowicz, W., 2015, "Identification of Cracks in Thin-Walled Structures by Means of Wavenumber Filtering," Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 50, pp. 456-466.
- Flynn, E. B., 2014, "Embedded Multi-Tone Ulrasonic Excitation and Continuous-Scanning Laser Doppler Vibrometery for Rapid and Remote Imaging of Structural Defects," In: EWSHM-7th European Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Nantes, France, pp. 1561-1567.
- Flynn, E. B. and Jarmer, G. J., 2013, "High- Speed, Non-Contact, Baseline-Free Imaging of Hiddden Defects Using Scanning Laser Measurements of Steady-State Ultrasonic Vibration," In: 9th International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, Stanford, California, USA, Vol 1, pp. 1186-1193.