- Volume 41 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Stress Analysis of Cold Rolled Strip Coiling Process
냉연재 권취공정의 응력해석
- Park, Kyu Tae (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, POSTECH.) ;
- Park, Yong Hui (GEM, POSTECH.) ;
- Park, Hyun Chul (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, POSTECH.) ;
- Won, Sung Yeun (Technical Research Laboratories, POSCO.) ;
- Hong, Wan Kee (Technical Research Laboratories, POSCO.)
- 박규태 (포항공과대학교 기계공학과) ;
- 박용희 (포항공과대학교 엔지니어링대학원) ;
- 박현철 (포항공과대학교 기계공학과) ;
- 원성연 (POSCO 기술연구원) ;
- 홍완기 (POSCO 기술연구원)
- Received : 2016.02.02
- Accepted : 2016.12.23
- Published : 2017.05.01
In the thin strip coiling process, it is necessary to use a sleeve with a mandrel to prevent excessive deformation of the strip. The stress distribution in the sleeve and strip is an important factor to determine the size of the sleeve. However, an experimental approach is almost impossible because of the accumulation of high pressure. A finite element (FE) model of the strip coiling process was developed in this study. Then, the radial and hoop stresses on the sleeve and strip were investigated using FE analyses. The theoretical values and analysis results under idealized conditions were compared to verify the FE model. The effect of the strip thickness on the stress distribution was also investigated. The radial stress increased by 6.3 times for a 1-mm-thick strip at the coil starting point. The radial stress at the sleeve increased by 14.8 % with a stacked thickness of 90 mm because of the reaction force applied by the mandrel.
Strip Coiling;Structural Analysis;Finite Element Analysis
Supported by : 한국산업기술진흥원, POSCO
- Lee, J. S., Shin, K. H., Kang, H. K. and Park, S. S., 2010, "An Analysis of Tension at Rewinding Process Considering Mechanical Property Change in Roll to Roll System," Proc. of KSPE Autumn Conference, pp. 257-258.
- Burns, S. J., Meehan, R. R. and Lambropoulos, J. C., 1999, "Strain-based Formulas for Stresses in Profiled Center-Wound Rolls," Tappi Journal, Vol. 82, No. 7, pp. 159-167.
- Lee, C. W., 2014, "Effect of Taper Tension Profiles on Radial Stress of a Wound Roll in Roll-to-roll Winding Process," J. Korean Soc. Precis. Eng., Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 125-131. https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2014.31.2.125
- Lee, C. W., Kang, H. K. and Shin, K. H., 2012, "Advanced Taper Tension Method for the Performance Improvement of a Roll-to-roll Printing Production Line with a Winding Process," Int. J. Mech. Sci., Vol. 59, No. 1, pp. 61-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2012.03.005
- Yanagi, S., Hattori, S., Maeda, Y., Ibata, H., Sugimoto, Y. and Sawada, M., 1998, "Coil Deformation and Flatness Change through Strip Coiling Process," Proc. 7th Int. Conf. on Steel Rolling, pp. 150-155.
- Park, W. W., Kim, D. K., Lim, Y. T., Kwon, H. C., Choi, D. K. and Chun, M. S., 2012, "Stress Analysis for Strip Coiling Process based on Elastic Model," Proc. KSTP Fall Conference, pp. 273-276.
- Sims, R. B. and Place, J. A., 1953, "The Stresses in the Reels of Cold Reduction Mills," Brit. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 4, No. 7, p. 213. https://doi.org/10.1088/0508-3443/4/7/306
- Case, J., 2014, The Strength of Materials (Second Edition), Edward Arnold & Co, London, pp. 437-455.