- Volume 6 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Development of an IoT Platform for Ocean Observation Buoys
- Kim, Si Moon (Division of Electronics and Electrical Information Engineering, Korea Maritime and Ocean University) ;
- Lee, Un Hyun (Division of Electronics and Electrical Information Engineering, Korea Maritime and Ocean University) ;
- Kwon, Hyuk Jin (Division of Electronics and Electrical Information Engineering, Korea Maritime and Ocean University) ;
- Kim, Joon-Young (Division of Mechanical Engineering, Korea Maritime and Ocean University) ;
- Kim, Jeongchang (Division of Electronics and Electrical Information Engineering, Korea Maritime and Ocean University)
- Received : 2016.10.18
- Accepted : 2017.02.09
- Published : 2017.04.30
In this paper, we propose an Internet of Things (IoT) platform for ocean observation buoys. The proposed system consists of various sensor modules, a gateway, and a remote monitoring site. In order to integrate sensor modules with various communications interfaces, we propose a controller area network (CAN)-based sensor data packet and a protocol for the gateway. The proposed scheme supports the registration and management of sensor modules so as to make it easier for the buoy system to manage various sensor modules. Also, in order to extend communication coverage between ocean observation buoys and the monitoring site, we implement a multi-hop relay network based on a mesh network that can provide greater communication coverage than conventional buoy systems. In addition, we verify the operation of the implemented multi-hop relay network by measuring the received signal strength indication between buoy nodes and by observing the collected data from the deployed buoy systems via our monitoring site.
Buoy;Controller area network (CAN);Internet of Things (IoT);Multi-hop relay network;ocean observation
Grant : Development of a marine IoT standard platform for ocean observation buoy
Supported by : Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology (KIOST)
- K.-Y. Kim, D.-H. Park, J.-B. Shim, and Y.-H. Yu, "A study of marine network NMEA2000 for enavigation," Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 133-140, Jan. 2010. https://doi.org/10.5916/jkosme.2010.34.1.133
- I. F. Akyildiz, X. Wang, and W. Wang, "Wireless mesh networks: a survey," Computer networks, vol. 47 no. 4, pp. 445-487, Mar. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2004.12.001
- N. Watthanawisuth, N. Tongrod, T. Kerdcharoen, and A. Tuantranont, "Real-time monitoring of GPStracking tractor based on ZigBee multi-hop mesh network," in Proc. of IEEE Conference on Electrical Engineering/Electronics Computer Telecommunications and Information Technology (ECTI-CON), May 2010.
- A. Zolich, J. A. Alfredsen, and T. A. Johansen, "A communication bridge between underwater sensors and Unmanned Vehicles using a surface wireless sensor network-design and validation," in Proc. of IEEE Conference on Electrical Engineering/ Electronics Computer Telecommunications and Information Technology (ECTI-CON), May 2010.
- S. M. Kim, W. H. Lee, H. J. Kwon, and J. Kim, "Design and preliminary implementation of an IoTbased system for ocean observation buoys," in Proc. of ITC-CSCC, Okinawa, Japan, pp. 865-867, July 2016.
- J. Sommer and R. Blind, "Optimized resource dimensioning in an embedded CAN-CAN gateway," in Proc. of International Symposium on Industrial Embedded Systems, pp. 55-62, July 2007.
- K. W. Tindell, H. Hansson, and A. J. Wellings, "Analysing real-time communications: controller area network (CAN)," in Proc. of IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium, Dec. 1994.
- A. Pietak and M. Mikulski, "On the adaptation of CAN BUS network for use in the ship electronic systems," Polish Maritime Research, Vol. 16, no. 4 pp. 62-69, Mar. 2010.
- J.-S. Yang, S. Lee, and K. C. Lee, "Design of FlexRay-CAN gateway using node mapping method for in-vehicle networking systems," in Proc. of IEEE Conference on Control, Automation and Systems (ICCAS), Oct. 2011.
- C. Watterson, "Controller area network (CAN) implementation guide," AN-1123,
- International Organization for Standardization, "Road vehicles - Controller area network (CAN) - Part 1: Data link layer and physical signaling," ISO 11898-1:2003, Nov. 2003.