- Volume 33 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Study on Cooking Properties of 'Bodeurami' Rice Cultivar
보드라미 쌀 품종의 취반특성에 관한 연구
- Jung, Hee Nam (Department of Food & Cooking Science, Sunchon National University) ;
- Choi, Ok Ja (Department of Food & Cooking Science, Sunchon National University)
- Received : 2017.03.14
- Accepted : 2017.04.19
- Published : 2017.04.30
Purpose: The aim of this study was to compare the cooking properties of Bodeurami and Ilmi to promote consumption of rice. Methods: The properties of Bodeurami and Ilmi such as proximate composition, Hunter's color value, water absorption rate, and cooking properties as well as Hunter's color value, texture properties, and sensory evaluation of cooked rice were analyzed. Results: Crude protein, crude fat, and crude ash contents of Bodeurami and Ilmi were higher in brown rice than in white rice. Regardless of rice cultivars, L-value was lower, whereas a and b-values were higher in brown rice than in white rice. The water absorption rate of rice grains was higher in white rice than in brown rice and increased rapidly to 75 min for white rice and 4 hr for brown rice. Cooking properties, water absorption, and expansibility of white rice were higher than those of brown rice, and there were significant differences between Bodeurami and Ilmi. Immediately after cooking and after storage at warm (
Supported by : Sunchon National University
- AOAC. 2000. Official methods of analysis. 17th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington DC, USA. pp 33-36.
- Cho EJ, Kim SK. 1990. Changes in physicochemical properties of brown and milled rices during storage. J Korean Agric Chem Soc 33(1):24-33.
- Cho EK, Wu HJ, Kim BC, Yoo YM, Jung HY, Lee MY. 2014. Effect of cooking conditions on the quality of cooked rice in home meal replacement products. Food Eng Prog 18(1): 7-14. https://doi.org/10.13050/foodengprog.2014.18.1.7
- Choe JS, Ahn HH, Nam HJ. 2002. Comparison of nutritional composition in Korean rices. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 31(5):885-892. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.5.885
- Choi ID. 2010. Physicochemical properties of rice cultivars with different amylose contents. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39(9):1313-1319. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.9.1313
- Choi OJ, Jung HN, Shin SH, Kim YD, Shin JH, Shim KH. 2015a. Quality characteristics of gluten-free rice bread formulated with soft-type rice flour mixed with black-rice flour. Korean J Community Living Sci 26(3):447-456. https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2015.26.3.447
- Choi OJ, Shim KH, Ma EB, Lee S, Son KS, Jung HN. 2015b. Quality characteristics of english muffin with powdered, soft and hard type rice flour by different grinding methods. Korean J Food Cook Sci 31(5):544-550. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.5.544
- Chun A, Song J, Hong HC, Son JR. 2005. Improvement of cooking properties by milling and blending in rice cultivar Goami2. Korean J Crop Sci 50(S):88-93.
- Chun A, Song J, Kim KJ, Kim JH, Son JR, Oh YJ. 2007. Sensory and quality evaluation of aseptic-packaged cooked rice by cultivar. Korean J Crop Sci 52(4):439-446.
- Foodtoday. 2017. A 20-year-old 'Hetbahn' become a home food for 'Honbapjok' (the tribe of people who eat alone). Available from: http://www.foodtoday.or.kr/news/article.html?no=146415. Accessed April 18, 2017.
- Han GJ, Park HJ, Lee HY, Park YH, Cho YS. 2008. Cooking techniques to improve the taste of cooked rice: Optimal cooking conditions for top rice cultivars. Korean J Food Cook Sci 24(2):188-197.
- Jun HI, Cha MN, Song GS, Yoo CS, Kim YT, Kim YS. 2011. Physicochemical properties and cooking quality of naked waxy barley (Saechalssal bori). Korean J Food Preserv 18(2):165-170. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2011.18.2.165
- Kang EJ, Yoo YM, Cho EK, Choi EH, Jeon HR, Lee JK. 2013. Effects of infrared heating on cooking properties of brown rice. Food Eng Prog 17(1):19-23.
- Kang KJ, Lho IH. 1998. Hydration and hot-water solublilization of milled rice during cooking. Korean J Food Sci Technol 30(3):502-508.
- Kang MY, Choi YH, Choi HC. 1997. Comparison of some characteristics relevant to rice bread processing between brown and milled rice. Korean J Soc Food Sci 13(1):64-69.
- Kim HW, Oh SK, Kim DJ, Yoon MR, Lee JH, Choi IS, Kim YG, Cha KN. 2012. Changes in contents of nutritional components and eating quality of brown rice by pericarp milling. Korean J Crop Sci 57(1):35-40. https://doi.org/10.7740/kjcs.2012.57.1.035
- Kim JH, Moon JE, Kang MY, Lee SC. 2013. A comparison of cooking quality on commercial eco-friendly functional rice. Korean J Crop Sci 58(4):451-458. https://doi.org/10.7740/kjcs.2013.58.4.451
- Kim JM, Yu M, Shin M. 2012. Effect of mixing ratio of white and germinated brown rice on the physicochemical properties of extruded rice flours. Korean J Food Cook Sci 28(6):813-820. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2012.28.6.813
- Kim KJ, Woo KS, Lee JS, Chun A, Choi YH, Song J, Suh SJ, Kim SL, Jeong HS. 2008. Physicochemical characteristics of Sikhye (Korean traditional rice beverage) with specialty rice varieties. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 37(11):1523-1528. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.11.1523
- Kim YA. 1998. Microwave cooking of rice (II) -The comparison with pressure and electric cooker. Korean J Soc Food Sci 14(4):416-420.
- Lee MK, Park JS, Na HS. 2010. Physicochemical properties of Olbyossal (parboiled rice). Korean J Food Preserv 17(2): 208-213.
- Lee SH, Km MY, Kim HY, Ko SH, Shin MS. 2010. Comparison of rice properties between rice grown under conventional farming and one grown under eco-friendly farming using hairy vetch. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 39(11):1684-1690. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.11.1684
- Lee SJ, Kong TI, Cheong C. 2015. Characteristics of steeping of rice and fermentation of rice koji depending on the milling degrees. J Korea Acad-Ind Coop Soc 16(8):5384-5393. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.8.5384
- Lee SJ, Lee YC, Kim SK. 2008. Comparison of cooking properties between imported and domestic rices according to cooking method and added water ratio. Korean J Food Nutr 21(4):463-469.
- Min BK, Hong SH, Shin MG, Jung J. 1992. Study on the determination of the amount of added water for rice cooking by extrusion test of cooked rice. Korean J Food Sci Technol 26(1):98-101.
- Moneytoday. 2016. "Bopsim is an archaic word", in over 30 years, rice consumption cut in half. Available from: http://www.mt.co.kr/view/mtview.php?type=1&no=2016012909581911787&outlink=1. Accessed October 1, 2016.
- National Institute of Crop Science. 2016. Development of Bodeurami with brown rice only. Available from: http://www.nics.go.kr/bbs/view.do?bbsId=research&bbsSn=202831&m=100000126. Accessed December 21, 2016.
- Oh SK, Kim DJ, Cheun A, Yoon MR, Hong HC, Choi IS, Oh YJ, Oh KB, Kim YK. 2010. Quality evaluation of Juanbyeo as aseptic-packaged cooked rice. Korean J Food Sci Technol 42(6):721-726.
- Park JH, Shin MS. 2016. Physicochemical and cooking characteristics of non-waxy soft brown rice. Korean J Food Cook Sci 32(5):531-540. https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2016.32.5.531
- Rural Development Administration. 2010. Heugseol (Suwon 505). Available from: http://www.nongsaro.go.kr/portal/ps/psz/psza/contentMain.ps?menuId=PS00112&sType=sCntntsSj&tabAt=FC&sText=%ED%9D%91%EC%84%A4(%EC%88%98%EC%9B%90505%ED%98%B8)&totalSearchYn=Y. Accessed April 9, 2017.
- Soft Brown Rice. 2010. Soft brown rice. Available from: http://www.부드러운현미.kr/product_info/product_info_5.asp. Accessed November 10, 2016.
- Statistics Korea. 2016. Food grain consumption in 2015. Available from: http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/7/10/index.board?bmode=read&aSeq=351289. Accessed October 9, 2016.
- Yoon MR, Chun A, Oh SK, Ko SH, Kim DJ, Hong HC, Choi IS, Lee JH. 2011. Physicochemical properties of endosperm starch and breadmaking quality of rice cultivars. Korean J Crop Sci 56(3):219-225. https://doi.org/10.7740/kjcs.2011.56.3.219
- Yoon MR, Lee JS, Lee JH, Kwak J, Chun A, Won YJ, Kim BK. 2014. Comparison of textural properties in various types of brown rice. Korean J Food Nutr 27(2):294-301. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2014.27.2.294
- Yoon MR, Oh SK, Lee JH, Kim DJ, Choi IS, Lee JS, Kim CK. 2012. Varietal variation of gelatinization and cooking properties in rice having different amylose contents. Korean J Food Nutr 25(4):762-769. https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2012.25.4.762