- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Geomechanical Stability Analysis of Potential Site for Domestic Pilot CCS Project
국내 이산화탄소 지중격리저장 실증실험 후보부지의 역학적 안정성 평가 기초해석
- Kim, A-Ram ;
- Kim, Hyung-Mok (Energy & Mineral Resources Engineering, Sejong University) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Woo ;
- Shinn, Young-Jae
- Received : 2017.04.07
- Accepted : 2017.04.26
- Published : 2017.04.30
For a successful performance of Carbon Capture Sequestration (CCS) projects, appropriate injection conditions should be designed to be optimized for site specific geological conditions. In this study, we built a simple 2-dimensional analysis model, based on the geology of Jang-gi basin which is one of the potential sites of domestic CCS projects. We evaluated the impact of initial stress conditions and injection rate through coupled TOUGH-FLAC simulator. From the preliminary analysis, we constructed risk scenarios with the higher potential of shear slip and performed scenario analysis. Our analysis showed that normal stress regime produced the highest potential of shear slip and stepwise increasing injection rate scenario resulted in much larger pore pressure build up and consequent higher potential of the shear slip, which was evaluated using a mobilized friction coefficient.
CCS (Carbon Capture and Sequestration);Initial stress conditions;Potential of shear slip;Mobilized friction coefficient;Risk scenario analysis
Supported by : (재)한국이산화탄소포집 및 처리연구개발센터, 한국연구재단
- 권이균, 신영재, 김지환. (2012), CO2 지중저장사업 예비 타당성조사 지식경제부 사전심의를 위한 기획연구, 한국지질자원연구원
김민철, 김용식, 손의영, 손문, 황인걸, 신영재, 최헌수. (2015). 한반도 남동부 마이오세 장기분지 내
$CO_2$지중저장 가능성 평가를 위한 지질구조/퇴적학 연구. 지질학회지, 51(3), 253-271.
박의섭, 김현우, 천대성, 최헌수. (2012).
$CO_2$지중저장의 암반공학적 해결과제, 2012 한국자원공학회 추계학술발표회 CCS 특별세션, pp. 84-96.
한국지질자원연구원, 2016, 국내 육상 1만톤급
$CO_2$지중 저장 실증 연구 연차보고서.
Cappa, F., & Rutqvist, J. (2011). Impact of
$CO_2$geological sequestration on the nucleation of earthquakes. Geophysical Research Letters, 38(17).
Chae, K. S., Lee, S. P., Yoon, S. W., & Matsuoka, T. (2010). Trends of Underground
$CO_2$Storage Technology for the Large Scale Reduction of GHG. TUNNEL AND UNDERGROUND SPACE, 20(5), 309-317.
- Itasca Consulting Group Inc., 2012, FLAC3D (Fast Lagrangian Analysis of Continua in 3 Dimensions) Version 5.0 (Minneapolis, MN).
- Kim, A.R. (2017). Stability analysis of deep underground sequestration system of CO2 under uncertain in-situ geologic conditions using hydro-mechanically coupled analysis, MSc thesis, Sejong University, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, A.R., & Kim, H.M.(2016). Scenario Analysis of Injection Temperature and Injection Rate for Assessing the Geomechanical Stability of CCS (Carbon Capture and Sequestration) System. TUNNEL AND UNDERGROUND SPACE, 26(1), 12-23. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2016.26.1.012
Kim, H., Cheon, D. S., Choi, B. H., Choi, H. S., & Park, E. S. (2013). Case Study on Stability Assessment of Pre-existing Fault at
$CO_2$Geologic Storage. TUNNEL AND UNDERGROUND SPACE, 23(1), 13-30. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2013.23.1.013
- Kim, H. M., Park, E. S., Synn, J. H., & Park, Y. C. (2008). Greenhouse Gas (CO2) Geological Sequestration and Geomechanical Technology Component. TUNNEL AND UNDERGROUND SPACE, 18(3), 175-184.
- Kim, H. M., & Bae, W. S. (2013). Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) Technology Coupled with Underground Carbon Dioxide Sequestration. TUNNEL AND UNDERGROUND SPACE, 23(1), 1-12. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2013.23.1.001
Kim, H. M., Rutqvist, J., & Bae, W. S. (2014). Sensitivity analysis for fault reactivation in potential
$CO_2$-EOR site with multi-layers of permeable and impermeable formations. Geosystem Engineering, 17(5), 253-263. https://doi.org/10.1080/12269328.2014.972577
Hawkes, C. D., Bachu, S., Haug, K., & Thompson, A. W. (2005, May). Analysis of in-situ stress regime in the Alberta Basin, Canada, for performance assessment of
$CO_2$geological sequestration sites. In Proceedings of the fourth annual conference on carbon capture and sequestration DOE/NETL, May (pp. 2-5).
- Lucier, A., & Zoback, M. (2008). Assessing the economic feasibility of regional deep saline aquifer CO2 injection and storage: A geomechanics-based workflow applied to the Rose Run sandstone in Eastern Ohio, USA. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 2(2), 230-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2007.12.002
- Mazzoldi, A., Rinaldi, A. P., Borgia, A., & Rutqvist, J. (2012). Induced seismicity within geological carbon sequestration projects: maximum earthquake magnitude and leakage potential from undetected faults. International journal of greenhouse gas control, 10, 434-442. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2012.07.012
- Pruess, K., Oldenburg, C., & Moridis, G. (1999). TOUGH2 User's guid, Ver. 2.0., Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Report LBL-43134, Berkeley, CA, USA.
- Pruess, K. (2011). ECO2M: A TOUGH2 Fluid Property Module for Mixtures of Water, NaCl, and CO2, Including Super- and Sub-Critical Conditions, and Phase Change Between Liquid and Gaseous CO2. LBNL-4291E, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
- Rinaldi, A. P., Vilarrasa, V., Rutqvist, J., & Cappa, F. (2015). Fault reactivation during CO2 sequestration: Effects of well orientation on seismicity and leakage. Greenhouse Gases: Science and Technology, 5(5), 645-656. https://doi.org/10.1002/ghg.1511
- Rutqvist, J., Birkholzer, J. T., & Tsang, C. F. (2008). Coupled reservoir-geomechanical analysis of the potential for tensile and shear failure associated with CO2 injection in multilayered reservoir-caprock systems. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, 45(2), 132-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2007.04.006
- Rutqvist, J. (2011). Status of the TOUGH-FLAC simulator and recent applications related to coupled fluid flow and crustal deformations. Computers & Geosciences, 37(6), 739-750. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2010.08.006
- Streit, J. E., & Hillis, R. R. (2004). Estimating fault stability and sustainable fluid pressures for underground storage of CO2 in porous rock. Energy, 29(9), 1445-1456. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2004.03.078
- Vilarrasa, V., Olivella, S., Carrera, J., & Rutqvist, J. (2014). Long term impacts of cold CO2 injection on the caprock integrity. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 24, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2014.02.016