- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Influence of Activity Engagement of Late Adulthood on Life Satisfaction and Ego Integration: Mediating Effect of Life Meaning
노년기 활동 참여가 삶 만족과 자아통합감에 미치는 영향: 삶의 의미의 매개효과
- Received : 2017.02.02
- Accepted : 2017.03.01
- Published : 2017.05.28
The purpose of this study was to examine the impact of activity engagement on life satisfaction and ego integration in late adulthood and to investigate the mediating effect of life meaning between activity engagement and life satisfaction and ego integration. 700 elderly(359 male, 350 female) who retired and over 55 years old completed questionnaires. Structural equation model analysis using AMOS showed that the suggested model is appropriate. Results showed that activity engagement was positively associated with life satisfaction and ego integration. and results also showed that life meaning mediated the relationship between activity engagement and life satisfaction and ego integration. Lastly, We discussed the implications of the roles of activity engagement and life meaning on life satisfaction and ego integration for elderly and limitations of this study and suggestions for future research.
Activity Engagement;Life Meaning;Life Satisfaction;Ego Integration;Late Adulthood
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- A. C. Mui, M. Glajchen, H. Chen, and J. Sun, "Developing an older adult volunteer program in a New York Chinese community: an evidence-based approach," Ageing international, Vol.38, No.2, pp.108-121, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12126-012-9160-5
- A. Bowling and Z. Gabriel, "An integrational model of quality of life in older age. Results from the ESRC/MRC HSRC quality of life survey in Britai," Social Indicators Research, Vol.69, No.1, pp.1-36, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:SOCI.0000032656.01524.07
- S. L. Albrecht, "Reactions and adjustments to divorce: Differences in the experiences of males and females," Family Relations, pp.59-68, 1980.
- J. W. Rowe and R. L. Kahn, "Successful aging," The gerontologist, Vol.37, No.4, pp.433-440, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/37.4.433
- 두송화, 장재윤, "은퇴자들의 심리적 건강의 변화," 한국심리학회지: 산업 및 조직, 제28권, 제2호, pp.99-126, 2015.
- 한태영, 신교수, 이주일, "중고령 근로자의 활동적 노년과 생산적 노년의 영향요인 비교," 한국심리학회지: 문화 및 사회문제, 제22권, 제2호, pp.137-163, 2016.
- C. Melendez, J. M. Tomas, A. Oliver, and E. Navarro, "Psychological and physical dimensions explaining life satisfaction among the elderly: A structural model examination," Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Vol.48, No.3, pp.291-295, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2008.02.008
- J. R. Kelly, Activity and aging: Staying involved in later life, Sage Publications, Inc, 1993.
- Y. Lee and B. McCormick, "Subjective well-being of people with spinal cord injury: does leisure contribute?," Journal of Rehabilitation, Vol.70, No.3, p.5, 2004.
- O. O. Ajoke and O. H. Foluke, "Influence of ego integrity and health status on death anxiety of adults in Ekiti State, Nigeria," IFE PsychologIA: An International Journal, Vol.24, No.1, pp.97-103, 2016.
- E. A. Greenfield and N. F. Marks, "Formal volunteering as a protective factor for older adults' psychological well-being," The Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, Vol.59, No.5, pp.258-264, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/59.5.S258
- Y. Li and K. F. Ferraro, "Volunteering and Depression in Later Life: Social Benefit or Selection Processes?," Journal of Health and Social Behavior, Vol.46, No.1, pp.68-84, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1177/002214650504600106
- M. A. Musick and J. Wilson, "Volunteering and depression: The role of psychological and social resources in different age groups," Social science &medicine, Vol.56, No.2, pp.259-269, 2003.
- V. M. Willigen, "Differential benefits of volunteering across the life course," The Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, Vol.55, No.5, pp.308-318, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/55.5.S308
- R. D. Putnam, "Bowling alone: America's declining social capital," Journal of democracy, Vol.6, No.1, pp.65-78, 1995.
- D. Stolle and T. R. Rochon, "Are all associations alike? Member diversity, associational type, and the creation of social capital," American Behavioral Scientist, Vol.42, No.1, pp.47-65, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1177/0002764298042001005
- J. Lahti, A. Holstila, E. Lahelma, and O. Rahkonen, "Leisure-time physical activity and all-cause mortality," PloS one, Vol.9, No.7, e101548. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0101548
- N. F. Johnsen, A. Ekblond, B. L. Thomsen, K. Overvad, and A. Tjonneland, "Leisure time physical activity and mortality," Epidemiology, Vol.24, No.5, pp.717-725, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1097/EDE.0b013e31829e3dda
- U. M. Kujala, V. P. Makinen, I. Heinonen, P. Soininen, A. J. Kangas, and T. H. Leskinen, et al., "Long-term leisure-time physical activity and serum metabolome," Circulation, Vol.22, No.127, p.3, 2013.
- D. Deplanque, I. Masse, C. Libersa, D. Leys, and R. Bordet, "Previous leisure-time physical activity dose dependently decreases ischemic stroke severity," Stroke research and treatment, 2011.
- T. Balboa-Castillo, L. M. Leon-Munoz, A. Graciani, F. Rodriguez-Artalejo, and P. Guallar-Castillon, "Longitudinal association of physical activity and sedentary behavior during leisure time with health-related quality of life in community-dwelling older adults," Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, Vol.9, No.1, p.47, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-9-47
- P. M. Nakamura, I. P. Teixeira, B. P. C. Smirmaul, E. Sebastiao, C. B. Papini, S. Gobbi, and E. Kokubun, "Health related quality of life is differently associated with leisure-time physical activity intensities according to gender: a cross-sectional approach," Health and quality of life outcomes, Vol.12, No.1, p.98, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7525-12-98
- 장신재, 조자영, "노인일자리사업 참여자의 일자리사업 참여만족, 경제상태만족, 자기가치감 변화가 삶의 질에 미치는 영향," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제15권, 제3호, pp123-132, 2015.
- W. J. Strawbridge, S. Deleger, R. E. Roberts, and G. A. Kaplan, "Physical activity reduces the risk of subsequent depression for older adults," American journal of epidemiology, Vol.156, No.4, pp.328-334, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwf047
- K. B. Adams, S. Leibbrandt, and H. Moon, "A critical review of the literature on social and leisure activity and wellbeing in later life," Ageing and society, Vol.31, No.4, pp.683-712, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0144686X10001091
- M. Stanley and J. Cheek, "Well-being and older people: A review of the literature," Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, Vol.70, No.1, pp.51-59, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1177/000841740307000107
- E. D. Diener, R. A. Emmons, R. J. Larsen, and S. Griffin, "The satisfaction with life scale," Journal of personality assessment, Vol.49, No.1, pp.71-75, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa4901_13
- E. Erikson, "Womanhood and the inner space. Identity, youth and crisis," pp.261-294, 1968.
- A. Walker and T. Maltby, "Active ageing: A strategic policy solution to demographic ageing in the European Union," International Journal of Social Welfare, Vol.21, No.1, pp.117-130, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2397.2012.00871.x
- H. Litwin, "Social Networks and Self-Rated Health A Cross-Cultural Examination Among Older Israelis," Journal of Aging and Health, Vol.18, No.3, pp.335-358, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/0898264305280982
- S. I. Hong, L. Hasche, and S. Bowland, "Structural relationships between social activities and longitudinal trajectories of depression among older adults," The Gerontologist, Vol.49, No.1, pp.1-11, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/gnp006
- G. Nimrod and H. Adoni, "Leisure-styles and life satisfaction among recent retirees in Israel," Ageing and Society, Vol.26, No.4, pp.607-630, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0144686X06004867
- A. Neugebauer, P. P. Katz, and L. A. Pasch, "Effect of valued activity disability, social comparisons, and satisfaction with ability on depressive symptoms in rheumatoid arthritis," Health Psychology, Vol.22, No.3, p.253, 203. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6184.108.40.206
- S. J. Heintzelman and L. A. King, "Life is pretty meaningful," American Psychologist, Vol.69, No.6, p.561, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0035049
- N. Krause, "Longitudinal study of social support and meaning in life," Psychology and aging, Vol.22, No.3, p.456, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1037/0882-79220.127.116.116
- E. A. McMahan and M. D. Renken, "Eudaimonic conceptions of well-being, meaning in life, and self-reported well-being: Initial test of a mediational model," Personality and individual differences, Vol.51, No.5, pp.589-594, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2011.05.020
- C. D. Ryff, "Successful aging: A developmental approac," The Gerontologist, Vol.22, No.2, pp.209-214, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/22.2.209
- M. F. Steger, J. R. Mann, P. Michels, and T. C. Cooper, "Meaning in life, anxiety, depression, and general health among smoking cessation patients," Journal of psychosomatic research, Vol.67, No.4, pp.353-358, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2009.02.006
- N. Krause, "Meaning in life and mortality," The Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, Vol.64, No.4, pp.517-527, 2009.
- P. A. Boyle, A. S. Buchman, L. L. Barnes, B. D. James, and D. A. Bennett, "Association between life space and risk of mortality in advanced age," Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, Vol.58, No.10, pp.1925-1930, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2010.03058.x
- N. Mascaro and D. H. Rosen, "Existential meaning's role in the enhancement of hope and prevention of depressive symptoms," Journal of personality, Vol.73, No.4, pp.985-1014, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6494.2005.00336.x
- G. P. Owens, M. F. Steger, A. A. Whitesell, and C. J. Herrera, "Relationships among guilt, meaning in life, and posttraumatic stress disorder among veterans," Journal of Traumatic Stress, Vol.22, pp.654-657, 2009.
- N. Krause and B. A. Shaw, "Role-specific control, personal meaning, and health in late life," Research on Aging, Vol.25, No.6, pp.559-586, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1177/0164027503256695
- J. A. Hicks and L. A. King, "Positive mood and social relatedness as information about meaning in life," The Journal of Positive Psychology, Vol.4, No.6, pp.471-482, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/17439760903271108
- D. Williams, "The impact of time online: Social capital and cyberbalkanization," Cyber Psychology &behavior, Vol.10, No.3, pp.398-406, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2006.9939
- 김숙향, 황경란, "노인의 사회적 배제가 자살생각에 미치는 영향과 적응유연성의 조절효과," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제16권, 제1호, pp.263-273, 2016.
- J. C. Anderson and D. W. Gerbing, "Structural equation modeling in practice: A review and recommended two-step approach," Psychological bulletin, Vol.103, No.3, p.411, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.103.3.411
- K. J. Preacher, and A. F. Hayes, "Asymptotic and resampling strategies for assessing and comparing indirect effects in multiple mediator models," Behavior research methods, Vol40, No.3, pp.879-891, 2008. https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.40.3.879
- X. Sun, H. Lucas, Q. Meng, and Y. Zhang, "Associations between living arrangements and health-related quality of life of urban elderly people: a study from China," Quality of life research, Vol.20, No.3, pp.359-369, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-010-9752-z
- V. Toepoel, "Ageing, leisure, and social connectedness: how could leisure help reduce social isolation of older people?," Social indicators research, Vol.113, No.1, pp.355-372, 2013 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11205-012-0097-6
- J. S. Coleman, "Social capital in the creation of human capital," American journal of sociology, pp.95-120, 1988.
- B. Cornwell, E. O. Laumann, and L. P. Schumm, "The social connectedness of older adults: A national profile," American sociological review, Vol.73, No.2, pp.185-203, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1177/000312240807300201
- 김정순, 노인의 사회적 활동과 자아통합감에 관한 연구, 이화여자대학교대학원, 박사학위논문, 1988.
- 김동배, 신수민, 정규형, "노년기 자원봉사참여유형이 우울에 미치는 영향:자아통합감의 매개효과를 중심으로," 한국노인복지학회, 제57권, pp.7-28, 2012.
- Y. Jang, J. A, Mortimer, W. E. Haley, and A. R. B. Graves, "The role of social engagement in life satisfaction: Its significance among older individuals with disease and disability," Journal of Applied Gerontology, Vol.23, No.3, pp.266-278, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1177/0733464804267579
- T. Schnell, "The Sources of Meaning and Meaning in Life Questionnaire (SoMe): Relations to demographics and well-being," Journal of Positive Psychology, Vol.4, No.6, pp.483-499, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/17439760903271074
- J. A. Hicks, J. Trent, W. E. Davis and L. A. King, "Positive affect, meaning in life, and future time perspective: an application of socioemotional selectivity theory," Psychology and aging, Vol.27, No.1, p.181, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0023965
- 이지영, 이가옥, "노인의 죽음에 대한 인식," 한국노년학, 제24권, 제2호, pp.193-215, 2004.
- C. Wrosch, R. Schulz, and J. Heckhausen, "Health Stresses and Depressive Symptomatology in the Elderly A Control-Process Approach," Current Directions in Psychological Science, Vol.13, No.1, pp.17-20, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0963-7214.2004.01301005.x
- J. C. Goll, G. Charlesworth, K. Scior, and J. Stott, "Barriers to social participation among lonely older adults: The influence of social fears and identity," PloS one, Vol.10, No.2, e0116664, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0116664
- J. Gao, H. Fu, J. Li, and Y. Jia, "Association between social and built environments and leisure-time physical activity among Chinese older adults-a multilevel analysis," BMC public health, Vol.15, No.1, p.1317, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-015-2684-3
- M. Kohli, K. Hank, and H. Kunemund, "The social connectedness of older Europeans: patterns, dynamics and contexts," Journal of European Social Policy, Vol.19, No.4, pp.327-340, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/1350506809341514
- K. Hank and M. Erlinghagen, "Dynamics of volunteering in older Europeans," The Gerontologist, Vol.50, No.2, pp.170-178, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/gnp122
- S. J. Heintzelman, J. Trent, and L. A. King, "Encounters with objective coherence and the experience of meaning in life," Psychological Science, 0956797612465878. 2013
- D. Kahneman and G. Klein, "Conditions for intuitive expertise: a failure to disagree," American psychologist, Vol.64, No.6, p.515, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0016755