- Volume 23 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Influence of Nursing Informatics Competencies and Problem-solving Ability on Nursing Performance Ability among Clinical Nurses
간호사의 간호정보역량, 문제해결능력 및 업무수행능력
- Kwak, So Young (Department of Nursing, Korea Nazarene University) ;
- Kim, Yoon Soo (Graduate School, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Lee, Kyoung Ju (Graduate School, Ewha Womans University) ;
- Kim, Miyoung (College of Nursing, Ewha Womans University)
- Received : 2016.12.26
- Accepted : 2017.03.01
- Published : 2017.05.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate the nursing informatics competencies, problem-solving ability, and nursing performance ability of nurses, and to determine factors that affect their nursing performance ability. Methods: Data were collected from 210 clinical nurses employed by a general hospital having more than 500 beds in Seoul. The data were collected from June to October, 2014. The questionnaires included a nursing informatics questionnaire, the Korea problem solving process inventory, and a nurse performance appraisal tool. The data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson correlation coefficient, and stepwise multiple regression. Results: Nursing performance ability had statistically significant correlation with nursing informatics competencies (r=.49, p<.001) and problem-solving ability (r=.66, p<.001). Factors influencing nursing performance ability were problem-solving ability, nursing informatics competencies, work experience, and educational status, accounting for 54% of the variance. Conclusion: Findings indicate that nursing informatics competencies and problem-solving ability have important influences on the nursing performance ability of clinical nurses. Thus, in order to provide an improvement in nursing performance ability, educational programs towards nurses' problem-solving ability and nursing informatics competencies should be provided.
- Cevik, A. B., & Olgun, N. (2015). Do problem-solving skills affect success in nursing process applications? An application among Turkish nursing students. International Journal of Nursing Knowledge, 26(2), 90-95. https://doi.org/10.1111/2047-3095.12043
- Chang, J. (2007). Nursing informatics competencies required of nurses in Taiwan: A Delphi Method. Doctoral Dissertation, University of Utah, USA.
- Chang, J., Poynton, M. R., Gassert, C. A., & Staggers, N. (2011). Nursing informatics competencies required of nurses in Taiwan. International Journal of Medical Informatics, 80(5), 332-340. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2011.01.011
- Chaung, S. K. (2011). Critical thinking disposition, problem solving ability, and clinical competence in nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals Nursing, 18(1), 71-78.
- Choi, H. R., & Cho, D. S. (2011). Influence of nurses' performance with critical thinking and problem solving process. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 17(3), 265-274. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2011.17.3.265
- Choi, J. Y., Kim, E. K., & Kim, S. Y. (2014). Effects of empowerment and job satisfaction on nursing performance of clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 20(4), 426-436. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.4.426
- Chung, S. Y. (2011). Nursing informatics competencies of university hospital nurses in Korea. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Chung, S. Y., & Staggers, N. (2014). Measuring nursing informatics competencies of practicing nurses in Korea: Nursing Informatics Competencies Questionnaire. Computers Informatics Nursing, 32(12), 596-605. https://doi.org/10.1097/CIN.0000000000000114
- Estes, B. C. (2013). Abusive supervision and nursing performance. Nursing Forum, 48(1), 3-16. https://doi.org/10.1111/nuf.12004
- Gunisen, N. P., Sercekus, P., & Edeer, A. D. (2014). A comparison of problem-based and traditional education on nursing students' locus of control and problem solving skills. International Journal of Nursing Knowledge, 25(2), 110-115. https://doi.org/10.1111/2047-3095.12024
- Ha, Y. M., Cho, J. E., & Yang, S. K. (2016). Relationship among information resources use, problem solving ability, nursing information literacy competency in general hospital nurses. Journal of Digital Convergence, 14(7), 289-297. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.7.289
- Hewitt-Taylor, J. (2012). Identifying, analyzing and solving problems in practice. Nursing Standard, 26(40), 35-41. https://doi.org/10.7748/ns2012.06.26.40.35.c9139
- Kim, H., & Kim, M. Y. (2013). Nursing informatics competencies of public health nurses in Chungcheongnam-do. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 24(1), 20-28. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2013.24.1.20
- Kim, M. S. (2010). Canonical correlation between organizational culture and informatics competency. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 16(2), 172-179. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.2.172
- Kim, S. M., Park, M. J., & Yang, Y. K. (2015). Effects on problem solving ability and learning satisfaction of nursing students of receiving a teaching method using standardized patients - blood transfusion. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals Nursing, 22(4), 406-415. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2015.22.4.406
- Kim, Y. H., & Jang, K. S. (2011). Effect of a simulation-based education on cardio-pulmonary emergency care knowledge, clinical performance ability and problem solving process in new nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 41(2), 245-255. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.2.245
- Lee, J. M., Gang, I. S., & Yu, S. J. (2015). The influence of nursing informatics competency on job-satisfaction and nursing performance. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, 9(1), 109-122. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2015.9.1.109
- Lee, S. J., & Jang, K. S. (2014). The effects of action learning on nurses' problem solving, communication, emotional creativity and innovation behavior. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, 8(2), 73-87. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2014.8.2.073
- Lee, E. J., Kim, H. S., & Kim, H. Y. (2014). Relationships between core factors of knowledge management in hospital nursing organizations and outcomes of nursing performance. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 23(23-24), 3513-3524. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.12603
- Lee, W. S., Park, S. H., & Choi, E. Y. (2008). Developments of a Korean problem solving process inventory for adults. The Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, 15(4), 548-557.
- Luo, S. H., & Lee, G. G. (2013). Key factors for knowledge management implementation. Social Behavior and Personality: An International Journal, 41(3), 463-475. https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.2013.41.3.463
- Park, K. H., & Han, J. W. (2016). Effect of nurses's mentoring function and organizational citizen behavior on nursing performance. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 17(2), 179-187. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.2.179
- Park. S. A., Park. K. O., Kim, S. Y., & Sung, Y. H. (2007). A development of standardized nurse performance appraisal tool. Clinical Nursing Research, 13(1), 197-211.
- Park, S. N., Chu, M. S., Hwang, Y. Y., Kim, S. H., & Lee, S. K. (2015). Effects of integrated nursing practice simulation-based training on stress, interest in learning, and problem-solving ability of nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals Nursing, 22(4), 424-432. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2015.22.4.424
- Peltonen, L. M., Alhuwail, D., Ali, S., Badger, M. K., Eler, G. J., Georgsson, M., et al. (2016). Current trends in nursing informatics: Results of an international survey. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, 225, 938-939.
- Staggers, N., Gassert, C. A., & Curran, C. (2002). A delphi study to determine informatics competencies for nurses at four levels of practice. Nursing Research, 51(6), 383-390. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-200211000-00006
- Rehabilitation Nursing Competencies of Korean Nurses by Type of Health Institute vol.20, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2017.89