- Volume 54 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Antimicrobial Ceramic Hybrid Polyethylene Films with Chamomile Extracts for Feed Packaging
- Lee, Hye Sun (Center for Convergence Bioceramic Materials, Korea Institute of Ceramic Engineering and Technology) ;
- Chang, Jeong Ho (Center for Convergence Bioceramic Materials, Korea Institute of Ceramic Engineering and Technology)
- Received : 2017.04.07
- Accepted : 2017.05.10
- Published : 2017.05.31
This work was achieved on the preparation of antimicrobial ceramic hybrid polyethylene films with natural chamomile extracts. The antimicrobial activity and various physicochemical properties of the prepared films were evaluated. Various natural products demonstrated antimicrobial activity. Among them, chamomile extracts showed strong activity and no cytotoxicity rather than that of the natural extracts. Porous ceramic materials were synthesized and demonstrated loading and controlled release of natural antimicrobial extracts. Furthermore, chamomile loaded ceramic hybrid films showed antimicrobial activity that was maintained for over 15 days.
Supported by : Korea Industrial Technology Association (KOITA)
- A. Cockburn, G. Brambilla, M. L. Fernandez, D. Arcella, L. R. Bordajandi, B. Cottrill, C. V. Peteghem, and J. L. Dorne, "Nitrite in Feed: From Animal Health to Human Health," Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol., 270  209-17 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.taap.2010.11.008
- L. P. Reynolds, J. J. Ireland, J. S. Caton, D. E. Bauman, and T. A. Davis, "Commentary on Domestic Animals in Agricultural and Biomedical Research: An Endangered Enterprise," J. Nutri., 139  427-28 (2009). https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.108.103564
- J. P. F. D'mello, C. M. Placinta, and A. M. C. Macdonald, "Fusarium mycotoxins: A Review of Global Implications for Animal Health, Welfare and Productivity," Anim. Feed Sci. Technol., 80 , 183-205 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(99)00059-0
- K. J. Yi, J. S. Yeon, J. H. Kim, S. C. Kim, H. I. Moon, C. O. Jeon, S. S. Lee, D. W. Kim, and S. K. Kim, "Microbiological and Chemical Changes of Complete Feed during Spoilage (in Korean)," J. Life Sci., 25  1148-55 (2015). https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2015.25.10.1148
- I. Bartov, N. Paster, and N. Lisker, "The Nutritional Value of Moldy Grains for Broiler Chicks," Poult. Sci., 61  2247-54 (1982). https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0612247
- L. Kung Jr, A. C. Sheperd, A. M. Smagala, K. M. Endres, C. A. Bessett, N. K. Ranjit, and J. L. Glancey, "The Effect of Preservatives Based on Propionic Acid on the Fermentation and Aerobic Stability of Corn Silage and a Total Mixed Ration," J. Dairy Sci., 81  1322-30 (1998). https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)75695-4
- C. Magnoli, C. Hallak, A. Astoreca, L. Ponsone, S. M. Chiacchiera, G. Palacio, and A. Dalcero, "Surveillance of Toxigenic Fungi and Ochratoxin A in Feedstuffs from Cordoba Province," Vet. Res. Commun., 29  43-5 (2005).
- W. B. Shim, S. B. Cho, N. M. K. Shim, J. E. Jung, and D. H. Jung, "Studies on the Control of Mold and its Toxin in Indirect Foods (Animal Feeds) by Radiation Technology (in Korean)," Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute, 2015.
- K. S. Seo, S. B. Kim, and M. S. Shin, "2015 Food industry analysis report (in Korean)," Korea Health Industry Development Agency, December 2015.
- M. Y. Choi, E. J. Choi, E. Lee, T. J. Rhim, B. C. Cha, and H. J. Park, "Antimicrobial Activites of Pine Needle (Pinus Densiflora Seib et Zucc.) Extract (in Korean)," Kor. J. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 25 293-97 (1997).
- J. D. Jung and S. H. Cho, "Quality Control of Natural Antimicrobial Agents for the Preservation of Swine Feed (in Korean)," J. Agric & Life Sci., 37  85-92 (2003).
- J. H. Heo, M. H. Jung, M. H. Cho, G. H. Kim, K. C. Lee, J. H. Kim, and T. S. Jung, "The Study on Fish Diseases with Reference to Bacterial Susceptibility to Antibiotics in the Southern Area of Kyeognam (in Korean)," J. Vet. Clin., 19 19-22 (2002).
- S. E. Kim, G. H. Choi, K. M. Shim, J. C. Kim, J.C. Yo, S. S. Cho, and S. S. Kang, "Effects of Probiotic CS-32 as a Feed Additive on Growth Performance of Broiler Chickens (in Korean)," J. Biomed. Res., 14  170-76 (2013). https://doi.org/10.12729/jbr.2013.14.3.170
- S. J. Park and S. O. Yoo, "Effects of Supplemention of Antibiotic, Probiotic and Yeast Culture on Performance and Meat Quality in Broiler Chicks (in Korean)," Kor. J. Poult. Sci., 27 203-8 (2000).
- A. R. Kim, D. K. Kim, T. H. Byun, E. J. Jo, E. W. Lee, H. J. Kwon, B. W. Kim, T. H. Kim, K. B. Lee, and Y. M. Kim, "Antibacterial Activity of Herbal Medicine Extracts against Edwardsiella Tarda (in Korean)," Kor. J. Food Pres., 18  87-90 (2011). https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2011.18.1.087
- A. L. Mahmoud, "Antifungal Action and Antiaflatoxigenic Properties of Some Essential Oil Constituents," Lett. Appl. Microbiol., 19  110-13 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.1994.tb00918.x
- J. K. Srivastava, E. Shankar, and S. Gupta, "Chamomile: A Herbal Medicine of the Past with Bright Future," Mol. Med. Rep., 3  895-901 (2010). https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2010.377
- H. S. Baek, S. K. Kang, Q. S. Auh, Y. H. Chun, and J. P. Hong, "Effect of Antibacterial Effects of Myrrh, Rhatany, Chamomilla against to Oral Microorganisms," Kor. J. Oral Med., 38  299-312 (2013).
- H. S. Lee, W. H. Kim, J. H. Lee, D. J. Choi, Y. K. Jeong, and J. H. Chang, "Transition Metal-Chelating Surfactant Micelle Templates for Facile Synthesis of Mesoporous Silica Nanoparticles," J. Solid State Chem., 185 89-94 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jssc.2011.10.037
- D. Zhao, J. Feng, Q. Huo, N. Melosh, G. H. Fredrickson, B. F. Chmelka, and G. D. Stucky, "Triblock Copolymer Syntheses of Mesoporous Silica with Periodic 50 to 300 Angstrom Pores," Science 279  548-52 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1126/science.279.5350.548
- Characterization and Evaluation of Porous Vermiculite Containing Polyethylene Composites Film vol.55, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4191/kcers.2018.55.1.06