- Volume 41 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Fatigue Life Estimation of Induction-Hardened Drive Shaft Under Twisting Loads
비틀림 하중을 받는 고주파열처리 드라이브 차축의 피로수명 평가
- Kim, Tae Young (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Dong-A Univ.) ;
- Kim, Tae An (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Dong-A Univ.) ;
- Han, Seung Ho (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Dong-A Univ.)
- Received : 2017.01.09
- Accepted : 2017.02.14
- Published : 2017.06.01
The drive shaft of passenger vehicle has an important role in transmitting the torque between the power train system and the wheels. Torsional fatigue failures occur generally in the connection parts of the spline edge of the drive shaft, when there is significant fatigue damage under repeated twisting loads. A heat treatment, an induction hardening process, has been adopted to increase the torsional strength as well as the fatigue life of the drive shaft. However, it is still unclear how the extension of the induction hardening process in a used material relates to its shear-strain fatigue life range. In this study, a shear-strain controlled torsional-fatigue test with a specially designed specimen was conducted by an electro-dynamic torsional fatigue test machine. A finite element analysis of the drive shaft was carried out using the results obtained by the fatigue experiment. The estimated fatigue life was verified through a twisting load test of the real drive shaft in a test rig.
Supported by : 산업통산자원부
- Kang, D. H., Lee, B. J., Yun, C. B. and Kim, K. W., 2010, "Study on Torsional Strength of Induction-Hardened Axle Shaft," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 34, No. 5, pp. 645-649. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2010.34.5.645
- Ko, J. B., Kim, W. K. and Won, J. H., 2005, "The effect on Fatigue Strength of Induction Hardened Carbon Steel," Journal of the Korean Society of Manufacturing Technology Engineers, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 83-87.
- Kim, W. K., Ko, J. B. and Kim, H. B., 2009, "A study on the Design on the Tubular Drive Shaft," Journal of The Korean Society of Manufacturing Process Engineers, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 7-12.
- Guk, D. S., Ahn, D. G., Lee, H. J. and Jung, J. H., 2015, "Investigation of Structural Safety of Monobloc Tubular Drive Shaft Subjected to Torque," Journal of the Korean Society for Precision Engineering, Vol. 32, No. 12, pp. 1073- 1080. https://doi.org/10.7736/KSPE.2015.32.12.1073
- Hur, M. D., Shim, T. Y., Lee, K. O. and Kang, S. S., 2008, "Fatigue Life Evaluation of the Power Train Part with Teat Treatment," Korean Society Of Precision Engineering Conference Proceedings, pp. 59-60.
- ANSYS Inc., 2016, ANSYS nCode DesignLife Release 11, http://www.ansys.com/products/Structures/ANSYS-nCode-DesignLife/.
- Basquin, O. H., 1910, "The Exponential Law of Endurance Tests," ASTM Proceedings, Vol. 10, pp. 625-630.
- Manson, S. S., 1953, "Behavior of Materials under Conditions of Thermal Stress," National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics.
- Coffin, L. F. Jr., 1954, "A Study of the Effects of Cyclic Thermal Stresses on a Ductile Metal," Transactions of the ASME, Vol. 76, pp. 931-950.
- ASTM E606/E606M, "Standard Test Method for Strain-Controlled Fatigue Testing," Annual Book of ASTM Standards, Vol. 03.01.
- Smith, K. N., Watson, T. and Topper, T. H., 1970, "A Stress-Strain Function for the Fatigue of Metals," Journal of Materials, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 767-778.
- Lee, Y. L., Pan, J., Hathaway, R. B. and Barke y, M. E., 2005, Fatigue Testing and Analysis: The ory and Practice, Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, pp. 136-139.
- Festigkeit, Wellen, Verbindungen, Federn, and Kupplungen, 2015, Maschinenelemente 1, Pearson, Deutschland, p. 286.