- Volume 18 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The ecological factors affecting walking in korean adult workers
한국 성인 직장인의 걷기에 영향을 미치는 생태학적 요인
- Kim, Myung-gwan (Department of Public Health, Graduate School, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Suh, Soon-Rim (College of Nursing, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2017.04.06
- Accepted : 2017.05.12
- Published : 2017.05.31
The purpose of this study was to identify the influence of the individual-level and community-level factors in the ecological model on walking and to provide the basic data for a strategy that can increase walking for health promotion of adult workers. By combining the primary data of community health survey (CHS) (2011-2013) with the Korea national statistics annual book (2011-2013), the regional level variables were extracted from 253 municipal districts and the convergent big data with the hierarchical structure was produced. As a result, the increase in budget expenditure for public order and safety in social and cultural environment factors, the increase in budget expenditure for national and community land development in the leisure environment factors, and the number of buses in the transportation environment were increased by walking. In conclusion, walking was increased by the development of a community environment and bus transportation besides individual characteristics and behavior. Therefore, improving environment and public transportation will increase physical activity, such as walking, which will increase the health expectancy in community citizen workers.
- I. M, Lee, David M. Buchner, The importance of walking to public health, Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 40, no. 7, S512-S518, 2008. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e31817c65d0 https://doi.org/10.1249/MSS.0b013e31817c65d0
- G. Y. Park, N .H. Kim, Effects of walking and resistance training on the body composition, cardiorespiratory function, physical fitness, and blood profiles of middle-aged obese women, Exercise Science 2007, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 85-94, 2007.
- Y. Y. Park, N. H. Kim, The Relationship between Physical Activity and Insulin Resistance in the Middle-Aged Adults, J Korean Biol Nurs Sci, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 245-252, 2011.
- H. S. Kim, Y. J. Han, B. C. Kim, S. Y. Ryu, Relevance of Vitamin D and Dyslipidemia Among Korean Adults - Using Data from the Sixth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2013-2014, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 647-656, 2017. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.3.347 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.3.647
- M. S. Kim, S. H. Kim, S. H. Lee, Effects of walking exercise for wellness convergence in the digital age - Based on physical activity -, Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 365-374, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.5.365 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.5.365
- M. S. Kim, S. H. Kim, S. H. Lee, The correlations of Walking Exercise Program-Induced Abdominal Visceral Fat Loss with Metabolic Syndrome Risk Factors, Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 589-596, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.14400.JDC.2016.14.11.589 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.11.589
- H. Kim, Effects of Social support based walking program on community, Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 12, no. 7,pp. 357-364, 2014. DOI: http://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.7.357 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.7.357
- D. H. Park, E. H. Lee, Convergence Factors Related to Glycemic Control in Workers with Diabetes Mellitus : Using the Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2009-2013, Korea Convergence Society, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 95-103, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.095 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.095
- E. S. Shin, Convergence Relationship between Occupational Stress and Fatigue Symptoms among Blue Collar Workers in Manufacturing Plants, Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, vol. 7, no. 1,pp. 57-68, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.1.057 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.1.057
- KCDC, Korea Health Statistics 2014 : Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey(KNHANES VI-2).
- J. H. Kim, S,H, Yoo, S. R. Sim, Unveiling the Meaning of Walking for Health Promotion : The Perspectives of Urban Walkers, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 63-77, 2011.
- Dagmar S., Walid E.A., Erik S., Neighbourhood Environment correlates of physical activity : A study of eight czech regional towns, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 8, pp. 341-357, 2011. DOI: http://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph8020341 https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph8020341
- Birgit W. S., Ingo F,. Peter S., Physical activity and the perceived neighbourhood environment - Looking at the association the other way around, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 11, pp. 8093-8111, 2014. DOI: http://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph110808093 https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph110808093
- Community Health Survey, 2011, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Community Health Survey, 2012, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Community Health Survey, 2013, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Republic of Korea, Whole country 253 local government city hall.ward office․district office statistics annual report, 2012 (year 2011 criterion).
- Republic of Korea, Whole country 253 local government city hall․ward office․district office statistics annual report, 2013 (year 2012 criterion).
- Republic of Korea, Whole country 253 local government city hall․ward office․district office statistics annual report, 2014 (year 2013 criterion).
- James F. S., Robert B. C, William A., Karla A.H., M. Katherine. K., Jacqueline K., An Ecological Approach To Creating Active living Communities, Annual Review of Public health, 27, pp. 297-322, 2005. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.publhealth.27.021405.102100 https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.publhealth.27.021405.102100
- KCDC, Community Health Survey (CHS) - Community Health Statistics pp. 2008-2016, 2017.
- E. J. Kang, Clustering of Lifestyle Behaviors of Korean Adults Using Smoking, Drinking, and Physical Activity, Health and Social Welfare Review, vol. 27, no. 2,pp. 44-66, 2007. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2007.27.2.44
- H. G. Jeon, J. M. Sim, K. C. Lee, An Empirical analysis of Effects of Stress on Relation between Physical Activity and Health-Related Quality of Life: Results from KNHANES 2008 to 2013, Journal of the Korea Academia - Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 5351-5363, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762.KAIS.2015.16.8.5351 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.8.5351
- Patrick B., Andrej M. G., Maria H., James F. S., Michael S., The association between health enhancing physical activity and neighbourhood environment among swedish adult - a population based cross sectional study, International Journal of Behavior Nutrition and Physical Activity, 6:8, 2009. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-6-8 https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-6-8
- KOSIS(Korean Statistical Information Service), National Statistics : Crime occurrence & Arrest status (pp. 1990-2010), 2014.
- KOSIS(Korean Statistical Information Service), National Statistics : Number of Government & Public Offices, and Major Agencies (1984-2000; 2001-2007; after year 2000-), 2016.
- Jill D., Melvyn H., Irene B., Charlie F., Perceived barriers to walking in the neighbourhood environment and change in physical activity levels over 12 months, Br J Sports Med, 41, pp. 562-568, 2007. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2006.033340 https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2006.033340
- J. M. Kim, S. H. Lee, E. Y. Lee, H. Y. Lee, Community-based Environment and Walking among Adults Journal of the Korea Society of Living Environment System, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 75-86, 2015. https://doi.org/10.21086/ksles.2015.02.22.1.75
- H. K. Lee, E. H. Shin, Y. K. Kim, Converged Influencing Factors on the Stage of Change of Exercise in Middle Aged Women, Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 187-197, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.187 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.187
- D. H. Lee, S. H. Lee, K. Y. Baek, A Study on Children's Park Facility Planning Scheme according to User Behavior and Characteristics, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 17, no. 12, pp. 232-241, 2016. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.12.232 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.12.232
- H. E. Park, A Study on the Improvement Plans of Pedestrian Environment for the Identity of Seoul - Comparison and Analyses Based on Design Seoul Street - Journal of the Korean Society of Design Culture, vol. 21, no. 2,pp. 285-296, 2015.
- Ryan D. E., Public transit, obesity, and medical costs: Assessing the magnitudes, Preventive Medicine, 46;pp. 14-21, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2007.10.004
- Chris R., Nada C, Mark G., Adrian B., Physical Activity Associated with Public Transport Use-A Review and Modelling of Potential Benefits, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 9;pp. 2454-2478, 2012. DOI: http://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph9072454 https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph9072454