- Volume 42 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Water Extracts of Anthriscus sylvestris Leaf induces Apoptosis in FaDu Human Hypopharynx Squamous Carcinoma Cells
- Yang, Jung Eun (Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, College of Dentistry, Chosun University) ;
- Lee, Seul Ah (Department of Oral Biochemistry, College of Dentistry, Chosun University) ;
- Moon, Sung Min (Oral Biology Research Institute, Chosun University) ;
- Han, Seul Hee (Department of Oral Biochemistry, College of Dentistry, Chosun University) ;
- Choi, Yun Hee (Department of Oral Biochemistry, College of Dentistry, Chosun University) ;
- Kim, Su-Gwan (Oral Biology Research Institute, Chosun University) ;
- Kim, Do Kyung (Oral Biology Research Institute, Chosun University) ;
- Park, Bo-Ram (Department of Dental Hygiene, Chodang University) ;
- Kim, Chun Sung (Department of Oral Biochemistry, College of Dentistry, Chosun University)
- Received : 2017.05.04
- Accepted : 2017.05.27
- Published : 2017.06.30
Anthriscus sylvestris (L.) Hoffm. is a perennial herb found widely distributed in various regions of Korea, Europe, and New Zealand. The root of A. sylvestris have been extensively used in the treatment for antitussive, antipyretic, cough remedy in Oriental medicine, but the physiologically active function of the leaf of A. sylvestris is as yet unknown. In this study, we investigated the anti-cancer activity and the mechanism of cell death of water extracts of leaf of Anthriscus sylvestris (WELAS), on human FaDu hypopharyngeal squamous carcinoma cells. Our data showed that WELAS treatment inhibited cell viability in a concentration- and time-dependent manner. In addition, the treatment of WELAS markedly induced apoptosis in FaDu cells, as determined by the viability assay, DAPI stain and FACS analysis. WELAS also increased the proteolytic cleavage of procaspase-3, -9 and PARP (poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase). In addition, exposure to WELAS decreased the expression of Bcl-2 (an anti-apoptotic factor), but increased the expression of Bax (a pro-apoptotic factor), suggesting that mitochondria-dependent apoptotic pathways are mediated in WELAS-induced apoptosis. Taken together, these results indicate that water extracts of leaf of A. sylvestris inhibits cell growth and induces apoptosis via the mitochondrial-dependent apoptotic pathway in FaDu human hypopharyngeal squamous carcinoma cells. Therefore, we propose that the water extracts of leaf of A. sylvestris is a novel chemotherapeutic drug, having growth inhibitory properties and induction of apoptosis in human oral cancer cells.
Supported by : 조선대학교 치과대학교
- Lee JS, Seo HS, Kim SJ, Kim HJ, Kim J, Lee SH, Park YS, Park BK, Kim BS, Kim SK, Jung JY. Studies on the Anticancer effect of Apigenin in KB cell xenograft nude mouse model. J Life Sci 2010;20:1519-1524. doi:10.5352/JLS.2010.20.10.1519. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2010.20.10.1519
- Silverman S, Gorsky M. Epidemiologic and demographic update in oral cancer: California and national data-1973 to 1985. J Am Dent Assoc 1990;120:495-499. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.1990.0082
- Sacks PG. Cell, tissue and organ culture as in vitro models to study the biology of squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck. Cancer Metastasis Rev 1996;15:27-51. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00049486
- Links M. Lewis C. Chemoprotectants: a review of their clinical pharmacology and therapeutic efficacy. Drugs 1999;57:293. https://doi.org/10.2165/00003495-199957030-00003
- Cheng YL, Lee SC, Lin SZ, Chang WL, Chen YL, Tsai NM, Liu YC, Tzao C, Yu DS, Harn HJ. Anti-proliferative activity of Bupleurum scrozonerifolium in A549 human lung cancer cells in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Lett 2005;222:183-193. doi:10.1016/j.canlet.2004.10.015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2004.10.015
- Park DI, Lee JH, Moon SK, Kim CH, Lee YT, Cheong J, Choi BT, Choi YH. Induction of apoptosis and inhibition to telomerase activity by aqueous extract from Platycodon grandiforum in human lung carcinoma cells. Parmacol Res 2005;51:437-443. doi:10.1016/j.phrs.2004.11.003.
- Lee YH, Kim YG. Kim JH. Studies on anti-oral cancer activities of medicinal plant extracts. J Kor Assoc Oral Maxillofac Surg 2000;26:53-58.
- Lee JS, Kim YG, Kim JH. Studies on anticancer effects of extract caesalpinia sappan on oral carcinoma and osteosarcoma cells. J Kor Assoc Oral Maxillofac Surg 2001;27:281-288.
- Pezzuto JM. Plant-derived anticancer agents. Biochem Pharmcol. 1997;53:121-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-2952(96)00654-5
- Fotsis T, Pepper MS, Aktas E, Breit S, Rasku S, Adlercreutz H, Wahala K, Montesano R, Schweigerer L. Flavonoids, dietary-derived inhibitors of cell proliferation and in vitro angiogenesis. Cancer Res 1997;57:2916-2921.
- Kwon JK, Park YS, Park BK, Kim BS, Kim SK, Jung JY. Resveratrol induces apoptosis through PI3K/Akt and p53 signal pathway in MDA-MD-231 breast cancer cells. Korean J Food Sci Technol 2012;44:452-459. doi:10.9721/KJFST.2012.44.4.452. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2012.44.4.452
- Dasiram JD, Ganesan R, Kannan J, Kotteeswaran V, Sivalingam N. Curcumin inhibits growth potential by G1 cell cycle arrest and induces apoptosis in p53-mutated COLO 320DM human colon adenocarcinoma cells. Biomed Pharmacother 2017;86:3737-380. doi:10.1016/j.biopha.2016.12.034.
- Olaru OT, Nitulescu GM, Ortan A, Dinu-Pirvu C. Ethnomedicinal, Phytochemical and Pharmacological profile of Anthriscus sylvestris as an alternative source for anticancer lignans. Molecules 2015;20:15003-15022. doi:10.3390/molecules200815003. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules200815003
- Chen H, Jiang HZ, Li YC, Wei GQ, Geng Y, Ma CY. Antitumor constituents from Anthriscus Sylvestris (L.) Hoffm. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2014;15:2803-2807. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2803
- Kim KY, Cho HJ, Yu SN, Kim SH, Yu HS, Park YM, Mirkheshti N, Kim SY, Song CS, Chatterjee B, Ahn SC. Interplay of reactive oxygen species, intracellular Ca(2+) surge and loss of mitochondrial homeostasis in the apoptotic ablation of prostate cancer cells by deoxypodophyllotoxin. J Cell Biochem 2013;114:1124-1134. doi:10.1002/jcb.24455. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.24455
- Wang YR, Xu Y, Jiang ZZ, Guerram M, Wang B, Zhu X, Zhang LY. Deoxypodophyllotoxin induces G2/M cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in SGC-7901 cells and inhibits tumor growth in vivo. Molecules 2015;20:1661-1675. doi:10.3390/molecules20011661. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules20011661
- Park JG, Hyun JW, Lim KH, Shin JE, Won YJ, Yi YD, Shin KH, Chang IM, Woo WS. Antineoplastic effect of extracts from traditional medicinal plants. Kor J Pharmacognosy 1993;24:223-230.
- Yang YM, Hyun JW, Lim KH, Sung MS, Kang SS, Paik WH, Bae KW, Cho H, Kim HJ, Woo ER, Park H, Park JG. Antineoplastic effect of extracts from traditional medicinal plants an various plants (III). Kor J Pharmacognosy 1996;27:105-110.
- Hsu S, Singh B, Schuster G. Induction of apoptosis in oral cancer cells: agents and mechanisms for potential therapy and prevention. Oral oncol 2004;40:461-473. doi:10.1016/j.oraloncology.2003.09.012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2003.09.012
- Liu MP, Lia M, Dai C, Chen JF, Yang CJ, Liu M, Chen ZG, Yao MC. Sanguisorba officinalis L synergistically enhanced 5-fluorouracil cytotoxicity in colorectal cancer cells by promoting a reactive oxygen species-mediated, mitochondriacaspase-dependent apoptotic pathway. Sci Rep 2016;6: 34245. doi:10.1038/srep34245. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep34245
- Park SY, Park C, Park SH, Hong SH, Kim GY, Hong SH, Choi YH. Induction of apoptosis by ethanol extract of Evodia rutaecarpa in HeLa human cervical cancer cells via activation of AMP-activated protein kinase. Bioscience Trends 2016;10:467-76. doi:10.5582/bst.2016.01170. https://doi.org/10.5582/bst.2016.01170
- Olsson M, Zhivotovsky B. Caspases and cancer. Cell Death Differ 2011;18:1441-1449. doi:10.1038/cdd.2011.30. https://doi.org/10.1038/cdd.2011.30
- Pop C, Salvesen GS. Human caspases: Activation, Specificity, and Regulation. J Biol Chem 2009;284: 21777-21781. doi:10.1074/jbc.R800084200. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.R800084200